• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Our left and right ears hear differently. Best EQ approach?

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just finished with a manual very slow 20hz - 15 kHz tone sweep and some switches between the ears with headphones.
Focusing on a moving phantom center you can hear which ear is the most sensitive at various frequencies.

Up until the area between 1400-2200 hz it's pretty much equal with some frequencies more prominent on the left and others on the right. Between 1400-2200 there's a significant difference in favour of the left before the right side actually takes a little over until 5500-7000 where the right ear is again far less sensitive.
It evens out a bit again before the left becomes clearly dominant from 9 kHz and out. I can clearly hear above 16 khz with the left where the right gives out around 14200 hz.

I did not clean my ears, but doubt that would matter much.

Anyone else care to try? It might mess with your mind.

MRC01

Major Contributor
My right ear has slightly better acuity than my left. Probably from years of playing the flute, even though I do wear earplugs when playing piccolo. But the difference is something my brain is already used to, and even my left ear is not actually impaired, I still pass "above average" for my age, so I don't correct it. I can hear the difference perceptually, but it's subtle enough it just doesn't bother me.

Fox _ Mulder

Good afternoon everyone. For years I have continued to think that hearing more on the left than on the right would be a hearing problem. I never consulted a doctor to ask questions about it. This topic cleared my mind.

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've given this problem a great deal of thought and have found the perfect solution to your mild left ear dominance. Whenever listening with headphones simply consider your environment and determine which is the most natural, comfortable and instinctive direction for you to be facing. Face it. Now turn 15 degrees to your right. Problem solved.

You're welcome.

Top Bottom