• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Other sources for reasonable speaker reviews?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Midnight Audiophile is this a fireplace on the left wall here in this pic?
index.php

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmmz... I posted one and then it disappeared and then I posted the other and then they both appeared.

OP
A

Alexium

Hmmmz... I posted one and then it disappeared and then I posted the other and then they both appeared.
I can see both, nothing seems to have actually disappeared.

P. S. A regular fireplace is a very inefficient way of heating a room, too much heat goes straight out of the smokestack. A brick stove with winding channel inside is much better, where hot air goes a significant distance and radiates heat away before exiting the stove and the house.

Midnight Audiophile

is this a fireplace on the left wall here in this pic?
No, that's a brick bar and it really loads that corner up with bass.

IMG_4999.jpg

There's a fireplace in the center of the brick wall behind the couch. It's not been used for 15 years and needs some brick work. This is a converted garage-to-den. There's a concrete floor that is padded and carpeted. I like the acoustics of it, both of my small subs fire down. I tried a side-firing 8" under the tables and didn't like it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, that's a brick bar and it really loads that corner up with bass.

View attachment 238930

There's a fireplace in the center of the brick wall behind the couch. It's not been used for 15 years and needs some brick work. This is a converted garage-to-den. There's a concrete floor that is padded and carpeted. I like the acoustics of it, both of my small subs fire down. I tried a side-firing 8" under the tables and didn't like it.
Concrete reflects the bass and that with the underlay and carpet it is probably making for some interesting bass thumps.

Midnight Audiophile

There's a big spike from 45-65Hz
Concrete reflects the bass and that with the underlay and carpet it is probably making for some interesting bass thumps.
There's a big spike from 45-65Hz. Without EQ:

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 4.47.40 AM.png

With EQ:

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 12.25.52 PM.png

The small subs give me all the bass I need for the music I listen to. I tried to level match them past 100Hz since I run them in stereo (you can switch it back and forth from mono on the SX95, I like it in stereo mode).

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Get your auto captions in English if you don´t understand Spanish, because this video is the epitome of the kind of reviewer that is most harmful, most deceiving and least useful. Yes, even more than Darko or Guttemberg:

Why? Because under a shade of supposed knowledge, there is literally zero value or information on the video that you cannot read on the manufacturer´s documentation. The guys who look like you, users, lovers of good reproduction, brand nerds sometimes are the kind of people that you should never, ever trust. At least the Darkos of the world are shills, and there is a reason, if spurious, for what they do. On fans, what you get is mystification even when their intention was to actually help. Hell is paved with good intentions.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

BullBuchanan

He has no problems calling bad speakers bad ..... within his own set of qualifiers. But there is no certainty that you would listen to the same speakers in the same room and come to the same conclusions. That's what is bad about subjective assessments; they aren't reliably transferable from one person to another.

Jim
Objective reviews have the exact same problems.

You can't tell how a speaker will sound from measurements, only how it performs.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The small subs give me all the bass I need for the music I listen to.
Or even a bit too much, actually. +11 dB down there is overdoing it a bit, IMHO.
You can't tell how a speaker will sound from measurements, only how it performs.
I wouldn't agree with that. You may be missing out on some minutiae (plus there's the variable of placement - e.g. a floorstander is always going to show up more bass-light if presumed free field), but a fair bit is evident if you know how to read them. All a matter of experience. Being able to take some of your own helps in correlating both.

Top Bottom