• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OSD XMP100/AudioSource AD1002?

PanteraGSTK

I just had one of those exact amps die on me after two years of use. Don't waste your time.

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just had one of those exact amps die on me after two years of use. Don't waste your time.

Thanks, that's what I thought might be the case. Seems like when a product has on average 3-3.5/5 star reviews, it's because half the folks haven't had the item fail (yet?) and the other half have...not that most users think it's just meh. A"meh" experience doesn't compel me to take the time to write a review.

PanteraGSTK

Thanks, that's what I thought might be the case. Seems like when a product has on average 3-3.5/5 star reviews, it's because half the folks haven't had the item fail (yet?) and the other half have...not that most users think it's just meh. A"meh" experience doesn't compel me to take the time to write a review.

Pretty much. It seems like a solidly built amp when I took it a part, but it's dead. No idea why.

I'm looking at a Niles SI-275 that was well reviewed here.

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Back when I was stupid enough to expect a big difference, I went through a bunch of power amps for my left/right mains when I had an Onkyo AVR that was truly underpowered. I wish I had the Acurus A150 back now. Super basic looks but heavy construction, big heat sinks, sounded as good as the IRD MB-100 "chip" monoblocks or the ICEpower units I subsequently went through...before I bought a bigger Onkyo AVR in which the HDMI board has crapped out shortly after their extended warranty expired.

bigx5murf

I just found an Audiosource AMP-200 in near mint condition for $25 at a thrift store. Gotta make some room on my bench to test functionality.
20200701_010849.jpg

bigx5murf

Finally found some time to play with the Audiosource amp. I would highly recommend people avoiding these in the future. The auto on/off feature can't seem to be bypassed, so when listening to music, during quiet sections the amp will just cut out, then cut back in once it reached a louder part. Quick googling seems to show this is a "feature" of Audiosource amps in general.

x21

Finally found some time to play with the Audiosource amp. I would highly recommend people avoiding these in the future. The auto on/off feature can't seem to be bypassed, so when listening to music, during quiet sections the amp will just cut out, then cut back in once it reached a louder part. Quick googling seems to show this is a "feature" of Audiosource amps in general.
Make sure you use the second input.

Top Bottom