• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OSD X7180 same as Outlaw 7000x? The specs on the manual seem to look worse for sure or am I missing something?

GabrielPhoto

Hi!
I just placed an order for the X7180 as many people claim they are pretty much the same as the Outlaw ones but looking at the specs they dont look as good to me.
I know a youtube Joe and tell or something like that couldnt hear any difference vs his expensive Parasound so if its one of those measurements so high that humans cant really tell, I am fine but just curious what you guys think;

OUTLAW
1675126967848.png

OSD

1675126985170.png

jimk1963

OSD and OutLaw is currently battling in court due to similarity of their product.

Interesting court case. Both companies’ amps are from the same ODM, Homni. Likely their components and therefore specs are identical. Appears OSD “falsely” claimed 115 dB SNR on their 5-channel, now the spec says 104 dB, same as Outlaw. Also interesting, Outlaw said they made their own user manual, while OSD claimed theirs was licensed from Homni. Outlaw provided evidence that OSD’s manual referenced a blue ring around the power button - which doesn’t exist on OSD amps (but is on Outlaw’s amps), thus convincing the court that the Outlaw manual was copied without consent. More claims/counterclaims ahead, if it doesn’t settle.

bumblecat78

Interesting court case. Both companies’ amps are from the same ODM, Homni. Likely their components and therefore specs are identical. Appears OSD “falsely” claimed 115 dB SNR on their 5-channel, now the spec says 104 dB, same as Outlaw. Also interesting, Outlaw said they made their own user manual, while OSD claimed theirs was licensed from Homni. Outlaw provided evidence that OSD’s manual referenced a blue ring around the power button - which doesn’t exist on OSD amps (but is on Outlaw’s amps), thus convincing the court that the Outlaw manual was copied without consent. More claims/counterclaims ahead, if it doesn’t settle.
Yeah, I read through it. But definitely same supplier. I work in logistics so I do alot of imports and alot of products come from same production line. The supplier just modified certain parts of the product so it can be sold under different branding.

jimk1963

Yeah, I read through it. But definitely same supplier. I work in logistics so I do alot of imports and alot of products come from same production line. The supplier just modified certain parts of the product so it can be sold under different branding.
Same here, I’m on the design side, we use ODM’s for all of our products. I’ve seen several posts asking if these two companies’ amps were the same. This article answered the question, great info.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for this information.
I was drawn to these amps because they appeared to be modular in design.
Specs/Performance/Price seem very reasonable, as w/Outlaw's siblings.
Nowhere near Specs/Performance of AVM Ovation/PA8.3, or StormAudio, or Crestron modular audio products... but their /Prices are thru the roof!
Are NAD M17s still being manufactured?

Homni Iteg Electronics people must be shaking their heads; trying to figure out wtf is the problem sourcing two different companies with same boards.:)
I don't think they know how to play that 'game', as we do here across the Pacific!:rolleyes:

bumblecat78

Hi!
I just placed an order for the X7180 as many people claim they are pretty much the same as the Outlaw ones but looking at the specs they dont look as good to me.
I know a youtube Joe and tell or something like that couldnt hear any difference vs his expensive Parasound so if its one of those measurements so high that humans cant really tell, I am fine but just curious what you guys think;

OUTLAW
View attachment 261219

OSD

View attachment 261220
So how are you liking the OSD X7180? Any issues ?

punosion

Forum Donor
I’ve been running a 5180 for about a year now…sounds great, zero issues. The source is unbalanced from a PC to a MiniDSP DDRC-88A, into the 5180, then out to a JBL Studio 520, 2x Studio 530s, and 2x Studio 220s. I never run it too loud so I can’t say much about reliability when pushed or anything, but I’m happy with it. :)

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

So how are you liking the OSD X7180? Any issues ?
I ended up returning it. I made a video about the issue for their support and they took it back without any problems. Basically it had bad interference/ground loop? that I couldnt get rid of. In my video I swap from the Monolith to the OSD with exactly the same connections (aside from the power cord since they are not compatible) and Monolith was dead silent.
I of course, tried other power cords with the unit and interconnectors but yeah, at that point I figured, I will just keep my Monolith.

bumblecat78

I ended up returning it. I made a video about the issue for their support and they took it back without any problems. Basically it had bad interference/ground loop? that I couldnt get rid of. In my video I swap from the Monolith to the OSD with exactly the same connections (aside from the power cord since they are not compatible) and Monolith was dead silent.
I of course, tried other power cords with the unit and interconnectors but yeah, at that point I figured, I will just keep my Monolith.
Yeah, I have read few people had issues with hum / ground loop. But for few it was easy fix by just ground the amp. I am thinking of giving it a shot with the OSD 5 channel

bumblecat78

I’ve been running a 5180 for about a year now…sounds great, zero issues. The source is unbalanced from a PC to a MiniDSP DDRC-88A, into the 5180, then out to a JBL Studio 520, 2x Studio 530s, and 2x Studio 220s. I never run it too loud so I can’t say much about reliability when pushed or anything, but I’m happy with it. :)
Yeah I think I will give it a shot for the price.

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Yeah, I have read few people had issues with hum / ground loop. But for few it was easy fix by just ground the amp. I am thinking of giving it a shot with the OSD 5 channel
Oh I grounded the amp even did star config where all things were grounded to each other. Didnt try a HumX but at that point I was already not caring for it because if my Monolith is dead silent with the exact same connections, then I expect any competent amp to behave the same way. Maybe I just got a lemon

Here is a small clip of one of my tests I shared with them

Last edited:
OP
G

GabrielPhoto

USAMAC

So glad I found this thread! Anyone else had any issues with the osd nero xa7180? I've been on the fence between the Outlaw 7000x and even considered the Emotiva BasX A7. The xa7180 seems like a very middle ground specs and price wise. I was really concerned about why I couldn't find any anywhere. I contacted their support and got a response today telling me that they expect to have stock supplied on June 15th. Then I did more poking around and found this discussion and the aforementioned court case. I'm now wondering which is more accurately depicting what I should anticipate? I was really excited about these when I found them on JoeNTells review, they even look very nice!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting current review of "OSD Audio Nero XA7180 7-Channel Amplifier".
202305_OSDxa7180guts.JPG
<< Looks to be 8-channels of audio stuffed into a 4-channel chassis.
Although designated as Class-H (-AB?), it still consumes ~60W@85C at idle.
I am guessing this amp cannot be bridged on the outputs, like the TrinnovAmp16 ICEpower, but take note of their metric:
"...it delivers 854 watts for just $850. That’s one dollar per watt of output, unquestionably a bargain..."
...and should never be compared to the $13K Amplitude16.;)

Top Bottom