• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Orei HDA-939 HDMI Audio Extractor Review

Rate this AV Converter/Extractor:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 54 46.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 6.0%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Orei HDA-939 HDMI audio extractor and AV converter. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $199.
Orei HDA-939 HDMI Extractor RCA Out Review.jpg

The middle section should tell you how this extractor is different. Using dip switches in the back it can perform all manner of Audio/Video conversion including decoding of multiple audio formats:
Orei HDA-939 HDMI Extractor RCA Out ARC eARC Coax Toslink Optical Review.jpg

Here is a page from company brochure:
Orei HDA-939 HDMI Extractor Specs.jpg

I like the locking DC terminal and as mentioned, the programmability of the unit.

Orei HDA-939 Audio Measurements
I first tested the quality of the RCA analog output extracted from HDMI input:
Orei HDA-939 HDMI Extractor RCA Out Measurement.png

This is quite high level of distortion. Looking at the spectrum though, I thought it may be saturating so I reduce input level by 1 dB and got much better results:
Orei HDA-939 HDMI Extractor RCA Out -1 dBFS Measurement.png

Fortunately digital output is bit-exact and works perfectly up to 24 bit resolution:
Orei HDA-939 HDMI Extractor Toslink Measurement.png

So pair it up with your favorite DAC (or the one in an AVR/Processor) and you are good to go. If you stay with the internal DAC, here is the dynamic range:
Orei HDA-939 HDMI Extractor RCA Out DNR Measurement.png

I did measure the jitter level over coax and while worse than desktop products, it is still low enough to not cause issues for any half decent DAC:
Orei HDA-939 HDMI Extractor Coax Jitter Measurement.png

Conclusions
Nice to see a differentiated audio extractor to help with format conversion of both video and audio. Wish the DAC overflow was not there. Fortunately the digital output is bit exact so you can drive a high performance DAC with it and get whatever quality you need.

I don't have a recommendation one way or the other. If you need a box like this, then this will fit your need. :)

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The "atrocious" analog out is IMHO not even necessary, probably every customer will use the digital outputs.
Yep, but it would be nice if it worked properly at 0dBFS.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
as a digital switcher its perfect, i mean it has to be, its like a ethernet switch that cant pass tcp/ip bit perfect if it wasnt

since this is really just a china odm i expect the analog conversion to be subpar since their intended audience is not likely to call them out on it

expect it to be the cheapest 50c dac out there

ironically audioholics like it?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir

I did measure the jitter level over coax and while worse than desktop products, it is still low enough to not cause issues for any half decent DAC:
I have a hard time understanding this.
How to read it ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks Amir

I have a hard time understanding this.
How to read it ?
Max jitter is about 50 psec. You need 250 picoseconds to obliterate one bit of 16 bit content. In that regard, the jitter level is below the threshold of 16 bits. So good enough. This is on top of a DAC filtering such jitter.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Edit: watched the audioholics video. So if I have a flagship tv this is useless? Still not really getting who this is for. -_-

So what would this unit be good for precisely? Just adding a stereo to your tv? Multichannel? I see it says up to 7.1 but what could you connect that too

I’m certain it seems like an ignorant question but I’m still new to audio, so excuse my ignorance

Read the article, much more informative. Thanks!

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
The "atrocious" analog out is IMHO not even necessary, probably every customer will use the digital outputs.
I highly doubt that every customer will use the digital output. The vast majority of people don't even know what a DAC is, let alone considering the purchase of one. Me I think that for most it's more like "Hey dear vendor, I need to get the sound for my movie in my sound system, but I don't have HDMI on my old receiver." Vendor- "here you go sir, put that between your TV and your sound system, you'll have the sound in your speakers".

respice finem

Major Contributor
I highly doubt that every customer will use the digital output. The vast majority of people don't even know what a DAC is, let alone considering the purchase of one. Me I think that for most it's more like "Hey dear vendor, I need to get the sound for my movie in my sound system, but I don't have HDMI on my old receiver." Vendor- "here you go sir, put that between your TV and your sound system, you'll have the sound in your speakers".
Those customers are IMHO more likely to choose a "10 dollar job" USB powered mini DAC.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Those customers are IMHO more likely to choose a "10 dollar job" USB powered mini DAC.
Vendor- "I have USB DACs, where is your computer located?" Customer-"oh, about 20 feet from my system on my home working office deck over there" Vendor- ah... You can't have a USB cable that long but you can use HDMI, there's already one going to your TV, right?"

respice finem

Major Contributor
Vendor- "I have USB DACs, where is your computer located?" Customer-"oh, about 20 feet from my system on my home working office deck over there" Vendor- ah... You can't have a USB cable that long but you can use HDMI, there's already one going to your TV, right?"
Maybe - after all, sales people talk people into buying other stuff too... Last example (OT): I was looking for a TV with DV as a "must have" - the salesman suggested a Samsung :D

Haskil

Forum Donor

Jaimo

JDS

Perhaps a small thing, but I'm impressed by the threaded collar on the power supply connection at the back of the unit. Haven't seen that before on an otherwise conventional wall wart PS.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Perhaps a small thing, but I'm impressed by the threaded collar on the power supply connection at the back of the unit. Haven't seen that before on an otherwise conventional wall wart PS.
Thant's not the power supply connection, but appears to be a L/R analog connector.

JDS

Thant's not the power supply connection, but appears to be a L/R analog connector.
Ummm... it says DC 12V on the box just below the connector, and what appears to be a mating connector is at the end of the wire that leads to the wall wart.

Top Bottom