• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ordered Perlisten s7t

• Thread starter Deleted member 4708
  • Start date

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am aware of the measurements -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/motu-8a-measurements.2342/. I was more interested in what in them makes you say that the 8A is a better DAC.

I see rather similar performance between the two although the 8A measurements are somewhat difficult to parse as the QA reporting clearly has some major flaws, specifically with decreasing noise with level. That -60 dB measurement implies a 154 dB dynamic range which is clearly incorrect.

Would be interesting to see the measurements using an absolute dBV scale rather than dBr which seems subject to issues with how the peak level is specified. Overall, from what I've seen (happy MOTU Ultralite Mk5, M4, 896HD and Traveler Mk1 owner) MOTU hits their specs so would expect around -110 dB THD+N at -1 dBFS (+19 dBu / 6.9 V), it is possible this doesn't get much worse when the level is brought down to 4 V if governed by distortion and not noise.

I agree with you on Volumio, I had a SHD Studio but never like Volumio. Ended up just installing squeezelite directly on the nanopi and that worked great.

Michael

Cool I planned to buy an SHD at some point and connect one of my RasPI with squeezelite to spdiff anyway.
If you can reflash the built in streamer to something reasonable that’s even better I just assumed that any built in streaming devices was so and so .

Same if I buy a pair of KEF LS60 I would just use external streaming anyway.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't remember if I posted here or not but congrats on your Perlisten s7t. After getting to listen to them properly set up it was clear they have a very high ceiling and the demo made me really want to try a pair in my own home. I already have a pair of Blade 1's so justifying another loudspeaker purchase won't be easy, but i'm working it. Quite simply when my money market acct dropped to paying .10% interest I decided to enjoy my savings instead of having banks make money letting others enjoy spending it.
The issue is that they all want you to borrow. When it comes time to pay it will be with Monopoly money. The banks always win no matter what you do. Save it. They profit by lending it out. Spend it they take interest off the top while the treasury takes the hit.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool I planned to buy an SHD at some point and connect one of my RasPI with squeezelite to spdiff anyway.
If you can reflash the built in streamer to something reasonable that’s even better I just assumed that any built in streaming devices was so and so .

Same if I buy a pair of KEF LS60 I would just use external streaming anyway.

Slight clarification, I did not overwrite the built in streamer, I just installed a standalone version of squeezelite. I would not overwrite the existing streamer as it is heavily tied-in to the rest of the unit.

Although Volumio has squeezelite when I received my SHD Studio it was non-functional. In order to install a standalone version of squeezelite I requested SSH credentials for the nano pi via a support ticket. If you search squeezelite on the minidsp forum you should find a thread with instructions on how to install it. This may no longer be necessary with the SHD / Volumio updates but as I don't have the SHD Studio any more I do not know.

Michael

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Update: the current configuration is Mac mini => Okto DAC8 PRO => Benchmark AHB2 =>Perlisten S7T

The software I use is Loopback (for creating virtual devices) and Hijack for routing and everything else.
For music I mainly listen to Qobuz.

The Loopback virtual device used to mix 7.1 (or 5.1) to stereo such that I can watch movies is below. Please note that Center and Subwoofer go both left and right.

Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 10.42.34 AM.png

Next, I use 2 routes, one for my headphones and one for my speakers.

Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 10.58.02 AM.png

The speakers route uses the Dirac Virtual device created when installing Dirac:

Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 10.44.47 AM.png

The second route is to PEQ the Senny HD 650:

Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 10.47.30 AM.png

Finally, the PEQ details for Senny HD 650 I use:

Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 10.49.24 AM.png

F1308

Major Contributor
Loopback is virtual wire not physical. Lowest possible latency. Hijack and Loopback are software.
The only wire here is the USB between Mac and DAC8
Ok, that's great...!!!!

So, how do I transmit 24 bit/48Khz lossless stereo audio wirelessly from my Roland Fantom 8 keyboard synthesizer to an AHB2 so as to be heard on a pair of Perlisten loudspeaker, please?

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
My money goes into 2 channel. i tried subs and found them to be a constant distraction. EQ can rob music of the natural dynamics and if I can get great soundstage and imaging it usually means the system will keep me involved. The Perlisten s7t and kef blades do different things. Perlistens have a very focused tight soundstage with pinpoint imaging thats not nearly as tall as it is wide while the blades have a larger presentation, not as tightly defined, but more realistic. I appreciate both, but they're not the same. The blades really went up a level when I fed them from the mc611 monoblocks and I would love to hear the s7t under the same conditions.

jeffme

Forum Donor
Update: the current configuration is Mac mini => Okto DAC8 PRO => Benchmark AHB2 =>Perlisten S7T
Just wanted to say thanks for the continued updates on your evolving setup, @NapoleonDynamite! I have just started playing with a Flex DL and I can appreciate the bruises you've endured along the way. The inability of Flex to manage Dirac over a network can be a real issue for a remote amp / multiroom setup.

Please keep us posted on further updates!!

Java Lu

Congrats on the S7t and AHB2 paring, I think it is great combo!
I have placed an order for the S7t limited edition, and looking to learn from other user's pairing experiance.
I was thinking about using a NAD M23 and a Benchmark AHB2 to Biamp. AHB2 for the high, and M23 for the low. However, now I think maybe class AB may not have the transient benifit that I used to believe, and I am not sure bypassing perlisten's new upgraded cross over is best idea. So I am going to just get an single M23, and one day as Audioholic rumor has it, Purifi makes a 1kw module, I will upgrade to that.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've own a pair of S7t for about 4 months now. They are superb, the best speakers I've ever heard. There is something magic about it, particularly the mid range, it just stands out and every instrument and vocal is it's own very distinct layer. I know this is subjective and I'm sure there was some kind of internal bias on how I experience this.

I came from Revel F226Be, the Revel are superb speakers as well, but the S7t is a big difference and they are built with cost no object mantra. You can clearly see and feel the built quality difference between Perlisten and Revel.

I do use a pair with SVS SB-3000 with the S7t, but honestly, you can go without the subs; unless the music you're listening too requires heavy bass. I'm pretty sure the S7t limited edition, you don't need subs as the woofer drivers have higher excursions.

The one thing about them (strictly from my experience), placement is a bit sensitive. They must be toe in (again my experience only), if they are not toe in, the bass gets too muddy and boomy, perhaps there is some kind of bass stacking/summing going on? This happened in two different rooms, which leads me to believe perhaps it's not room mode? So toe them in.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha ha!
I hope (s)he buys the Genelec 8351B/W371A combo - the only speakers imo that compare to the Perlisten.
The Blade One is available at the local Magnolia (Best Buy). While very good sounding I still think the top 2 are the Genelecs and Perlisten.
I never heard the Genelec, but I recently purchased a Naumann KH 120 for my desk for near field listening. I temporarily set them up for far-ish field listening. They are superb speakers, excellent. Now they don't have the magic that the S7t has, the S7t has some midrange magic, and the bass is cleaner on the S7t. Everything else is equal.

I am extremely happy with the S7t, there is no doubt they are better, but the Naumann are better dollar for dollar.

Golfx

Forum Donor
I never heard the Genelec, but I recently purchased a Naumann KH 120 for my desk for near field listening. I temporarily set them up for far-ish field listening. They are superb speakers, excellent. Now they don't have the magic that the S7t has, the S7t has some midrange magic, and the bass is cleaner on the S7t. Everything else is equal.

I am extremely happy with the S7t, there is no doubt they are better, but the Naumann are better dollar for dollar.
Genelac and Dutch & Dutch were recommended to me when I was shopping for speaker upgrades. But they are actives and I just could not get my head around the internal amps and what happens if these small companies go out of business if your speaker electronics fail. Like you I am very happy with perlisten.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Created a thread for Perlisten owners.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelac and Dutch & Dutch were recommended to me when I was shopping for speaker upgrades. But they are actives and I just could not get my head around the internal amps and what happens if these small companies go out of business if your speaker electronics fail. Like you I am very happy with perlisten.
Genelec ain't going out of business anytime soon, they aren't small and they have a huge market in the pro world.

D&D, not so sure.

I don't know why companies haven't made a DSP controlled speaker with all the electronics external yet. Who the hell made the rule that DSP controlled speakers must be active speakers with all the electronics inside? I enjoy seeing and feeling my electronics, they are used as a room decor for me. Or at least have easy assessibility to the electronics with just a cover and few screws.

Stupid if you asked me.

Top Bottom