• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Orchard Audio ApplePi DAC and Volume+Clocker Reivew

Headphonaholic

I'm impressed by all of these DIY style DACs that keep performing way beyond their price point! Thanks for reviewing them Amir! I do have to say though, the thing that keeps me from picking one up is that there seems to never be a case you can also get with it. I've played with arduinos and such, so I'm not unfamiliar to bare boards but the idea of using a bare board DAC, even in an acrylic case, for serious use seems odd to me. The fit and finish of a product definitely goes a long way to make it "feel" professional and add to the overall appeal of the product. I do get that such creature comforts come with a cost, but it's the only thing in my mind keeping these bare board DACs from demolishing a large portion of the competition in the market. Though at the same time if you have the equipment, time, and skills I'm sure you can make a very nice case to call your own for it.

TimW

Major Contributor
I'm also uninterested in owning electronic products without good looking cases. Allo makes an interesting looking aluminum case for their Boss Player and DigiOne Player. The Katana Player and ApplePi stack would look much better in an aluminum case styled like the Flirc RPi case.

Twinterfinder

One man's meat is another man's poison. I believe each company has its own strategy.
It would be very much appreciated and make a little bit more sense to include retail price as one of the factor in the chart.
Even If it is not, ASR is still the most neutral and scientific audio review webiste in the planet. It helps me a lot and I love it.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Show me another system with the same level of performance that costs less and includes a pre-amplifier.

Mate, if you seriously think a 'preamplifier' is a D/A converter with a variable 0-4.8V RMS output, then we have a serious problem.

Let me tell you what a real preamplifier is:

It is a device, that accepts multiple inputs, ranging from RIAA, (MM or MC), multiple line inputs, a couple of bidirectional tape loops with full monitoring, a ruler flat response on all inputs, maybe a headphone output, a balance control, low and high filters and perhaps (if you are brave) some tone controls and a bypass function.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
This product has been replaced by a much better solution, the PecanPi. It essentially combines the two boards onto 1 and adds linear power supplies, full reclocking using Crystek oscillator and headphone amplifier.

Check it out here:
www.orchardaudio.com/pecanpi

The PecanPi comes with all needed hardware, power supply, and an optional high quality aluminum case.

flowjm

This product has been replaced by a much better solution, the PecanPi. It essentially combines the two boards onto 1 and adds linear power supplies, full reclocking using Crystek oscillator and headphone amplifier.

Check it out here:
www.orchardaudio.com/pecanpi

The PecanPi comes with all needed hardware, power supply, and an optional high quality aluminum case.

That looks interesting. Have you sent one in for review?

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
I have not, this is because it is identical to the old product, all the same circuits just on a single board with the addition of linear power supplies. And better jitter removal.

I have all the measurements posted in another thread, they are essentially equivalent to Amir's findings in this review.

Top Bottom