• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Orchard Audio’s New PecanPi®+ DAC and Streamer Feature AKM’s Latest Flagship Chips

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Orchard Audio introduces the PecanPi+ DAC and PecanPi+ Streamer, further expanding the highly reviewed line of PecanPi® products. The PecanPi+ DAC leverages Asahi Kasei Microdevices’ (AKM) latest flagship AK4499EXEQ digital-to-analog converter (DAC), and AK9141EQ ΔΣ modulator chips. The 4499 utilizes the latest multi-bit switched resistor DAC method, employing VELVETSOUND™ technology.

AKM’s design separates the digital processing and the digital-to-analog conversion into separate devices, minimizing the effects of digital noise within the analog output and resulting in a noticeable improvement in both sound quality and signal to noise ratio. The PecanPi+ design fully explores the benefits of the latest technological advancement in audio reproduction, providing pure, unaltered audio that wholly reproduces the source material. The AKM chips are coupled with extremely low noise power supplies, an ultra-low jitter clock, and the latest high-performance audio operational amplifiers from Burr-Brown (Texas Instruments). This enables the PecanPi+ DAC to achieve staggering performance.

The PecanPi+ Streamer is a plug-and-play high-resolution music streamer. Control music wirelessly using your phone, tablet, or computer. The device can also be connected to any digital transport utilizing S/PDIF. The PecanPi+ DAC is ideal for do-it-yourself (DIY) enthusiasts.

Preorder pricing is available thought the end of March.

Specifications: PecanPi vs. PecanPi+

Specification
PecanPi
PecanPi+
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: XLR output (A-wt)​
130dB​
133dB​
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: RCA output (A-wt)​
124dB​
128dB​
Dynamic Range: XLR output​
125dB​
129dB​
Dynamic Range: RCA output​
122dB​
124dB​
SINAD: XLR output​
110dB​
116dB​
SINAD: RCA output​
110dB​
112dB​
Bit/Sample Rates​
Up to 24-bit / 192Khz​
Up to 32-bit / 384kHz​

Here are some test results comparing the PecanPi vs the PecanPi+. Note that I had to borrow and APX555 because the 525 that I have is not capable of measuring the performance of the new PecanPi+ DAC. I think that alone says a lot.

THD+N Ratio vs Freq (XLR) -- PecanPi (Blue) -- PecanPi+ (Red).jpg

THD+N Ratio vs Measured Level (XLR) -- PecanPi (Blue) -- PecanPi+ (Red).JPG

These measurements are for the PecanPi+ only.

Jitter Spectrum and Noise 256k FFT, 16 Averages (XLR).JPG

Multitone FFT Spectrum (XLR).jpg

Many other specs and test results are available on my website https://www.orchardaudio.com.

Eye Candy...

PP+_Top_1920.jpg

PP+_Back_1920.jpg

Last edited:

312elements

Orchard Audio introduces the PecanPi+ DAC and PecanPi+ Streamer, further expanding the highly reviewed line of PecanPi® products. The PecanPi+ DAC leverages Asahi Kasei Microdevices’ (AKM) latest flagship AK4499EXEQ digital-to-analog converter (DAC), and AK9141EQ ΔΣ modulator chips. The 4499 utilizes the latest multi-bit switched resistor DAC method, employing VELVETSOUND™ technology.

AKM’s design separates the digital processing and the digital-to-analog conversion into separate devices, minimizing the effects of digital noise within the analog output and resulting in a noticeable improvement in both sound quality and signal to noise ratio. The PecanPi+ design fully explores the benefits of the latest technological advancement in audio reproduction, providing pure, unaltered audio that wholly reproduces the source material. The AKM chips are coupled with extremely low noise power supplies, an ultra-low jitter clock, and the latest high-performance audio operational amplifiers from Burr-Brown (Texas Instruments). This enables the PecanPi+ DAC to achieve staggering performance.

The PecanPi+ Streamer is a plug-and-play high-resolution music streamer. Control music wirelessly using your phone, tablet, or computer. The device can also be connected to any digital transport utilizing S/PDIF. The PecanPi+ DAC is ideal for do-it-yourself (DIY) enthusiasts.

Preorder pricing is available thought the end of March.

Specifications: PecanPi vs. PecanPi+

Specification
PecanPi
PecanPi+
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: XLR output (A-wt)​
130dB​
133dB​
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: RCA output (A-wt)​
124dB​
128dB​
Dynamic Range: XLR output​
125dB​
129dB​
Dynamic Range: RCA output​
122dB​
124dB​
SINAD: XLR output​
110dB​
116dB​
SINAD: RCA output​
110dB​
112dB​
Bit/Sample Rates​
Up to 24-bit / 192Khz​
Up to 32-bit / 384kHz​

Here are some test results comparing the PecanPi vs the PecanPi+. Note that I had to borrow and APX555 because the 525 that I have is not capable of measuring the performance of the new PecanPi+ DAC. I think that alone says a lot.

View attachment 270248

View attachment 270249

These measurements are for the PecanPi+ only.

View attachment 270250

View attachment 270251

Many other specs and test results are available on my website https://www.orchardaudio.com.

Eye Candy...

View attachment 270254

View attachment 270253
Is there a way to get two of those attached to a pi?

MKR

Major Contributor
@orchardaudio Do you plan to send the new PecanPi to Amir for review at some point? I am interested but would like to first see independent review/measurements.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
@orchardaudio Do you plan to send the new PecanPi to Amir for review at some point? I am interested but would like to first see independent review/measurements.
I posted all the measurement. The measurements for some of my products have been already verified by a third party @SIY (Audio-Xpress).

MCH

Major Contributor
To play 4 individual channels? Not that I am aware off.
Given that the new pi5 will make it possible, and hopefully easy enough, have you thought on making multichannel DAC hats?

Top Bottom