• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Orange jelly/grease on amplifier transformer

Danchina

Hello guys, new to the forum and audio related tech in general. I didn't know where to post this but here I go.
I paired up a new yamaha a-s501 with a pair of elac dbr62. When near the amplifier i could smell some strong plastic odor coming from it (doesn't smell exactly like burnt plastic). When looking at it inside from the top i saw that what i believe to be the transformer is covered in an orange substance (see photo). The smell is coming from there.
Is there something wrong with it? Should i hit up the store asap?

Under here you can find the bried video (hoping i don't break any rules) that i took of it (don't want to open it for now, i'm scared of voiding warranty) and some screenshots of the video.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220602-002013.jpg
    Screenshot_20220602-002013.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_20220602-002036.jpg
    Screenshot_20220602-002036.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot_20220602-001927.jpg
    Screenshot_20220602-001927.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 126

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is supposed to be solidified, "Varnish." After the transformer has been wound and almost completed the transformer is dipped in the liquid that you see. The liquid solidifies after a short while and seals the transformer. If the stuff is solid then you are good to go. If it is still sticky and not solid then there is a issue. As per the smell they usually smell a bit for a few days to a couple of weeks.

"Insulating varnishes are resins like epoxies or alkyds used to protect high voltage machines such as transformers, motors and generators from electrical failure. They are applied over electrical conductors to provide a layer of electrical isolation and prevent shorting."

OP
Danchina

Danchina

That is supposed to be solidified, "Varnish." After the transformer has been wound and almost completed the transformer is dipped in the liquid that you see. The liquid solidifies after a short while and seals the transformer. If the stuff is solid then you are good to go. If it is still sticky and not solid then there is a issue. As per the smell they usually smell a bit for a few days to a couple of weeks.

"Insulating varnishes are resins like epoxies or alkyds used to protect high voltage machines such as transformers, motors and generators from electrical failure. They are applied over electrical conductors to provide a layer of electrical isolation and prevent shorting."
It does seem to be solid! Thanks for stopping my worries and teaching me something new, I much appreciated your response!

raindance

Major Contributor
The orange varnish makes the sound warmer. You can also get blue varnish that makes it colder. Just kidding !!

Soandso

Doodski, - A friend built a generator for my enterprise and he gave the new 10 kW coil component several coats of varnish before assembling everything. It was in the tropics and I recall being advised that doing so promoted ideal heat dissipation when in operation.

EDIT: I recall the component already was factory varnished and my friend insisted on giving it additional coats of varnish.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Perfefctly normal and is there to prevent lamination/winding noise and vibration. The transformers are plunged into the varnish and pressure applied to force the substance deep into the windings.

And yes, for a number of months, your amplifier will smell 'new' as the various chemicals used in manufacture gas off. Gotta love the smell of warm varnish in the morning! (apologies to Apocalypse Now)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
As mentioned above, its varnish to seal the transformer. At Peerless Transformers (a division of Altec Lansing), the transformers were placed in a vacuum chamber while the varnish cured.

OP
Danchina

Danchina

Thanks to everyone for your kind replies! Could be that i am new in this field but personally have seen few articles talking about this topic so i'm happy to have found knowledge here and to have created a rallying point for paranoid-about-their-amplifier people like myself :cool:

Top Bottom