• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ORA: The World’s First Graphene Headphones

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Definitely some bold claims: "Graphene pushes the limitations of loudspeakers, a technology that has seen little innovation since its invention in 1921."

Among many others..

Graphene is a very promising material for cone membranes, but my impression from the text of that listing is that the designers or at least the PR people do not understand what they are doing.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Shipping begins", they claim on latest update. I'm quite curios about first impressions.
I must admit, I'm quite sceptical about breakthrough in sound, but maybe energy efficiency could be interesting.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing in their marketing material suggest any kind of merit to their claims. This is a strictly "measurements or go away" kind of situation for me.

Well, what more do you want? :) ("The data paragraph")
ORA kickstarter page
"Laser scans were made with a Klippel test system at a 3rd party lab, Warkwyn, a subsidiary of the USA loudspeaker manufacturer MISCO. "

WARKWYN 3D LASER SCANS - look very nice indeed :)

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, what more do you want? :) ("The data paragraph")
ORA kickstarter page
"Laser scans were made with a Klippel test system at a 3rd party lab, Warkwyn, a subsidiary of the USA loudspeaker manufacturer MISCO. "

WARKWYN 3D LASER SCANS - look very nice indeed :)
"Third party tests" that appear on the front page of their campaign is by definition not third party. We need an objective outside tester to validate those claims. On top of that, all of their measurements appear way too perfect to be real. That frequency response, for example, is impossibly flat at the top range:

1.png

And these phase/impedance curves are also highly unlikely if they are using a conventional coil design for their driver (which is cone shaped, so it probably does):

2.png

Graphene being ultra light and stiff can give some advantages, but there are things that are entirely not dependent on the actual membrane material used. That's why those measurements are highly misleading.

Top Bottom