• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Options for streaming qobuz to amplifier with only optical input?

Audiochap786

I'm looking to buy a Intergrated amplifier (used)

I will probably go Primare I22 with built in DAC which does optical 192/24... I can get this for £500

How can I add something so I can stream Tidal/qobuz with the best possible audio quality, while using the Primary built in DAC?

I need sometype of streaming device

I have Focal 906

Thanks

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How can I add something so I can stream Tidal/qobuz with the best possible audio quality, while using the Primary built in DAC?
This:
Screenshot_20230211-113104.png

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
If you have an old Chromecast Audio puck, that will also work great.

BioMedTechGuy

This is very very similar to my situation, and I have been asking the same.
I just received the Chromecast Audio device yesterday, and I also used a 3.5mm mini optical to optical cable IN to my STR-DA 9000ES receiver. Tidal on my Android switches to Hi-Fi from "Master" when I Cast with it, and today I see my Apple Music (set at highest resolution "requires external DAC" setting) also switches off of "lossless" so the receiver can handle 192kHz/24 but it's displaying 44/16.
I was directed to the WiiM mini Pro, and I like what I see.

Last edited:

LuvTheMusic

If you want/like the BluOS software, a Bluesound Node, used or new, will work nicely.

Audio quality presumably will be the same for any decent (i.e., not broken) streaming device, given that you are outputting the digital stream to the preamp.

BioMedTechGuy

If you want/like the BluOS software, a Bluesound Node, used or new, will work nicely.
Audio quality presumably will be the same for any decent (i.e., not broken) streaming device, given that you are outputting the digital stream to the preamp.
I have no experience AFAIK with BluOS software, but I will also look at a Bluesound Node.
From the YT video on the WiiM mini pro, I think that is the ticket.
What I DON'T want to happen is for the WiiM to do what I'm experiencing with the Chromecast Audio device. Apple Music and Tidal are not coming through at anything higher than 44/16.
It seems as though the apps are switching the quality level down once they "recognize" I'm casting to the Chromecast Audio device.
Still, again, I AM enjoying listening to Tidal mostly via the Chromecast.
I tried a trial of BubbleUPnP app for Android but Apple Music didn't show up on the cloud/streaming service list, and Tidal was output at FLAC 44 (or 48?) 16.. I know that's not "bad" but at this point I'm on a quest just to see my SonyES display 192kHz/24 once on the display.
One last note: I do have the "matching" SonyES SACD player that uses a FireWire to connect to the receiver and that keeps the DSD bitstream untouched through the majority of the signal path until right before it hits the speaker wires. This is a rare situation, but Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon in multichannel SACD is a sublime acoustic experience on my system.
I have to see if I can get 2 channel SACDs to play the " .1" below 40Hz to my sub. That's been the only drawback of using that setup as good as my KLF-30s sound, I miss the deepest notes (below 32Hz).

Top Bottom