- Mar 14, 2021
Writing to celebrate a near-endgame setup (at least for me), and to ask for help with optimization.
- 3 x Genelec 8351B Left, Center, Right
- 2 x Genelec W371A Lef and Right Woofer Towers
- 2 x Genelec 7360A Left and Right Subs (10")
- 1 x JTR RS1 Center Sub (18")
- 2 x Genelec 8341A Surrounds
- 2 x Genelec 8341A Rear Surrounds
- NAD T778 Receiver with DIRAC
- dCS Bartók Headphone DAC/AMP
- Audeze LCD-4 Headphones
- Roon Audio Management (sent to NAD Receiver and dCS Bartók)
- DIRAC Optimized using the NAD receiver and mic
- Sound diffusers by GIK Acoustics
- Cables are nothing special. High-quality stuff from Monoprice or whatever
The 8351B, the W371A, and the 7360A Subs on both the left and right, are all functioning as a single speaker because I'm sending the left and right signal to the Genelec subs, which then go out to the woofer stand and the 8351B on top.
I've optimized that setup (before DIRAC) using GLM, so those two pairs of three should be working somewhat well together, although I'm worried that the GLM configuration might have conflicted with the DIRAC measurement (if the Genelec triplets were behaving in a modified way due to GLM config).
All speakers, including the JTR sub in the middle, are being fed by the NAD receiver via the pre-outs.
- This setup has given me extraordinary joy. Like I've never enjoyed music so much in my life.
- I have to say that the setup was just "good" or "great" before two things—the JTR sub, and NAD/DIRAC.
- Before those two I was honestly wondering if the system was worth it, but because of this forum and the reading it inspired, I learned that THE ROOM IS AN INSTRUMENT, and realized the importance of GLM and DIRAC.
- I also knew from lots of 2020 pandemic study that subwoofers change the entire equation, but the dual 10" subs in the pure Genelec setup were underwhelming. That was before the JTR RS1 and the NAD with DIRAC. I think this is because the subs are tuned down by GLM. That's what I read anyway.
- When I added the RS1 sub, the new NAD receiver, and did the DIRAC configuration, the system became absolutely stunning. Like, otherworldly. Not overly loud (I don't think I've pushed it past like 60-60% in this relatively small space) but in terms of clarity and—most importantly—richness and depth. The SUB IS EVERYTHING. That and DIRAC. Well, honestly, I don't know what the magic components are, and how much they make up the whole.
- What am I missing? Is there a component that I need? A tweak to the setup? A mistake I've made?
- Do I need to zero out my Genelec speakers (from the GLM configuration) and redo the DIRAC calibration?
- How do I get the most from the three components of my right/left setup when NAD/DIRAC only sees them as one speaker? Do I just zero everything out and trust Genelec to play all three speakers optimally?
- Assuming I get all the GLM zero-ing out fixed, and a really solid DIRAC calibration going, what's the next tier for what I have? Power cords? XLR cables? What's the next step in the optimization process?
Thank you for reading and I appreciate any feedback.