• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Optical to Coaxial converters introduce jitter?

Candlesticks

Can they introduce jitter? I can't find any research on this. There are plenty of cheap ones on ebay and I'd like to have one for the rare occasion I'd need one.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Find me one on Amazon and I can test it.

In principle, anything that increases the rise time of the signal can increase jitter. So depending on the rise time of the optical signal vs coax, this can happen.

OP
Candlesticks

Candlesticks

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not the exact same thing. I have a V-link USB to SPDIF converter. It has both coax and Toslink outputs. I have tested that with a few DACs both ways. No difference you can see in a Jtest. Could post a few results if you'd like.

I think if there is a difference it would be down to implementation of a specific unit. There is no inherent reason Toslink is a problem vs coax. If the tx and rx optical bits are quality it won't be a problem. The early Toshiba chips were a bit of a problem, but one solved long ago. Are they solved for a less than $10 device? Guess Amir will find out.

Here is the eye pattern of the V-link that JA obtained testing one for Stereophile. This was using 15 ft of Toslink cable.

511MFVLfig1.jpg

Reactions: P_M

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is one I had on file. Red is coax and green is Toslink. Tact RCS2.0 for the DAC. Essentially no difference. This shows from 10 khz to 14 khz.

Optical vlink vs coax.png

Here is a close in view +/- 20 hz of 12,000 hz. One coax and one Toslink.

Tact Vlink opti coax jitter close in.png

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So Amir where on your list is testing these converters?

Vnowinski

Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread but wondering if any of these converters have ever been tested here (spdif > toslink and vice versa)?

Vnowinski

Thanks Archmage! I followed your link and am considering a similar chain (toslink to SPDIF converter connected to Tone Board).

In the JDS Atom thread linked from your post there, I see Amir's comments on the converter:
"No. I have one of those to test just to be sure they don't screw it up! "

My read: he doesn't think the converter will introduce jitter. Did he actually test the converter as well (to confirm his suspicion)? I didn't see that in the thread.

loddie

I'm also curious if the converter was tester for jitter.

On a related note, suppose you did not want to use a cheap converter box, is it relatively simple to convert a current optical port to coxial with hardware mods?

svenz

I wonder if @amirm can test this for us at some point. I also have a similar converter and it would be nice to know for peace of mind :).

Top Bottom