• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Optical out from a sound card to the amp

Hi,

I have a DAC built in my integrated amp (Marantz PM6006 UK with SPDIF and COAX inputs) and would like to use it instead of an external DAC.
I use my computer for music and it doesn't have a coax or an optical out, and currently I would prefer not to buy an external DAC or an external sound card.

On another thread I was told that even a simple internal sound card with SPDIF out should do the trick.
Now, I'm a bit worried that somehow the signal might get messed up with noise and jitters with it coming from a card and not from the motherboard. I honestly have no idea if that's true, so you would definitely know much better than me on this subject :)

Another thing I though of is perhaps buying an inexpensive USB to SPDIF/COAX converter, but I'm not sure there are any inexpensive ones that aren't DACs themselves or just crappy converters that could mess up the signal...

1. Any thoughts on this?
2. Maybe a cheap card or converter you could recommend of?
3. Quality of the SPDIF cable I should buy - does it make a huge difference? Any recommended ones?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Zek

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are you sure your main board does not have an SPDIF connector on it - see the board manual.

OP
A
Thread Starter #3
Are you sure your main board does not have an SPDIF connector on it - see the board manual.
The motherboard might have the pins to connect a plate with SPDIF and COAX outs. I'll have to check the manual to make sure.

Top Bottom