• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Optical Ethernet in -- I2S out

Boulder Bob

I have been attempting to optimize streaming Qobuz via Roon. My setup currently is: Ethernet cable to media converter - optical ethernet to media converter - short Ethernet cable to Sonore microRendu - USB (Wireworld) out to Doak USB to I2S converter, HDMI (8K) out to my DAC (Gustard X26 Pro).

I convinced myself that I was getting better sound with the Doak listening to WAV files output from a PC using Foobar compared to straight USB. I was using a Small Green Computer linear power supply on the Doak.

I have a lot of little black boxes and power supplies now (still optimizing power supplies, I have a Jamesco wall wart that claims to be linear - searched this forum for "Jamesco" and got not hits).

Is there a device out there with an optical Ethernet in and a I2S out?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been attempting to optimize streaming Qobuz via Roon.
What exactly are you trying to optimize? What are you expecting to get out of it?
I convinced myself that I was getting better sound with the Doak listening to WAV files output from a PC using Foobar compared to straight USB.
Convince yourself otherwise. Will save a lot of money and useless boxes.
Probably not.

There are several reviews to be found here on special power supplies, switches and I2S over HDMI. Check them out: it’s all humbug.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Focus on the other end of your chain where changes can actually make a big difference.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
In theory you could get a Pi compute module 4 and matching I/O board with PCIe slot, then add a network card with SFP+ module. The I2S would be available on the usual Pi compatible header. Whether the usual audio OS images would include the necessary driver for the network card I don't know - or whether the network card drivers will have been tested with ARM rather than x86_64. Some work may be required. There are a few other SBCs with PCIe slots and I2S on their headers that you could try, but the Pi is probably the best supported.

I'm not sure what you're expecting it to do, and doubt it'll have a genuinely audible effect, but it's your time and money...

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ethernet is galvanically isolated, why the complication with the optical cable? Apart of that, any ARM board with ethernet and I2S ports running linux would do.

ehous31900

I have been attempting to optimize streaming Qobuz via Roon. My setup currently is: Ethernet cable to media converter - optical ethernet to media converter - short Ethernet cable to Sonore microRendu - USB (Wireworld) out to Doak USB to I2S converter, HDMI (8K) out to my DAC (Gustard X26 Pro).

I convinced myself that I was getting better sound with the Doak listening to WAV files output from a PC using Foobar compared to straight USB. I was using a Small Green Computer linear power supply on the Doak.

I have a lot of little black boxes and power supplies now (still optimizing power supplies, I have a Jamesco wall wart that claims to be linear - searched this forum for "Jamesco" and got not hits).

I also use optical from the an optical router to the PC (PCIE card on Mother board) and to the dac (converter into a network bridge) with roon.

Definitely cleans up the background. I have heard the matrix usb to i2s with an optical rendu & uptone switch, when compared to straight ethernet, it did make a difference.

I do feel that the optimal path is optical and i2s for dsd playback, just no way to get there without three sonore boxes.

As for power supplies, I have four to choose from. The only thing my ears can determine is linear is better than switching. The $50.00 IFI wall wart from amazon vs the $700.00 HD Plex made no difference to me on such a low amp draw. I am using a smaller one that allows me to adjust the voltage.

None of this is measured, all by ear. It is the illusion that has kept me in the hobby for almost 40 years.

Top Bottom