• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Optical cables?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering if anyone sells short USB optical cables (or extenders) specifically to break ground loops and not bring noise from the host device.

It should be 1000 times more useful than your run of the mill snake oil cables.

Any suggestions or experiences?

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you'd need a transmitter & receiver (both doing conversions) too

there are better ways to deal with a real gnd loop if you have one

while the noise issue does not appear hearable, I can give you the name of a guy who knows this stuff in & out

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
you'd need a transmitter & receiver (both doing conversions) too

there are better ways to deal with a real gnd loop if you have one

while the noise issue does not appear hearable, I can give you the name of a guy who knows this stuff in & out

There are options online, but they are incredibly expensive, long and meant for very high data rate.

Definitely too much for Hi-Fi use.

I’m kind of curious to see if it will bring the noise floor of a mediocre device I’m using. It will be an interesting experiment and might induce a paradigm shift in this forum :p

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Why USB instead of a standard spdif optical? Power?

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are options online, but they are incredibly expensive, long and meant for very high data rate.

Definitely too much for Hi-Fi use.

I’m kind of curious to see if it will bring the noise floor of a mediocre device I’m using. It will be an interesting experiment and might induce a paradigm shift in this forum :p

I know nothing about price of these, but I highly highly doubt they even come close to price of some hi-fi cables out there...

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why USB instead of a standard spdif optical? Power?

Because my SPDIF inputs are already occupied.

What i’m looking for is a cable that turns USB electric signals to optical signals and then back to electrical at the end device.

I would like to see whether this would improve the performance of devices with little noise filtering.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Meh... Try to find a USB cable with split charge and data lines (or data only if you don't need power) with plug tipes you need and use cleaner power source (battery [power bank] , good phone charger).
M6Zmu.png

Illustration is for addition of power (dato + power cable and added power) you want them separated.
Example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Delock-Y-Cable-USB-2-0-0-3m/dp/B009EAF0RU
Best regards.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Meh... Try to find a USB cable with split charge and data lines (or data only if you don't need power) with plug tipes you need and use cleaner power source (battery [power bank] , good phone charger).
View attachment 119851
Illustration is for addition of power (dato + power cable and added power) you want them separated.
Example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Delock-Y-Cable-USB-2-0-0-3m/dp/B009EAF0RU
Best regards.

Wouldn’t the data lines create a ground loop themselves?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@abdo123 nope, problem is in dirty power source (like lo quality switching AC/DC power unit in PC).
Me by if its horrible cable. I use Sony USB cables when ever I can (along with DAC with separate power input).

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Try to find a USB cable with split charge and data lines (or data only if you don't need power) with plug tipes you need and use cleaner power source (battery [power bank] , good phone charger).

A wall wart such as you have described is usually a class 2 device with no earth/ground. The 0v may be floating at anything up to 80V+ with respect to actual USB Gnd. The neutral usally has a capacitor to 0v inside the wall wart.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
A wall wart such as you have described is usually a class 2 device with no earth/ground. The 0v may be floating at anything up to 80V+ with respect to actual USB Gnd. The neutral usally has a capacitor to 0v inside the wall wart.
Illustration whose only for demonstration purpose. Usually they (with normal one's) use resistor on output end.

Top Bottom