• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Optical Cables "Toslink"

jthj

The Monoprice 25’ premium HDMI, routed between AVR and tv through the same smurf tube, is working like a champ too for 4K in HDR and DV. I know I know why the optical if I can use ARC. That requires turning on hdmi controls which gets in the way of my harmony elite turning things on and setting inputs ect. And the limitations of audio vs hdmi isn’t a big deal since I’m really only using it for OTA tv with the antenna. Otherwise signal is going direct to AVR from the Oppo or ATV 4K.

Willem

Major Contributor
The problem is that people do not seem to appreciate the difference between analogue and digital, or the power of error correction protocols. With digital, in essence, if it works it works - it is all or nothing. So if the music plays, you are fine, provided yo have a decent DAC. In fact, that DAC does not have to cost an arm and a leg either.
The market for expensive digital cables exists because people do not understand the nature of digital signal transmission. Let me give you two examples of how easy it is. RIght now I am listening to American Public Radio, while sitting in the Netherlands. Just imagine how that signal reached me. Similarly, if there were subtle differences between some ones and zeros and others, could you still trust the numbers in your bank account?

Theo

That's the fiber optic cable linking me to my internet provider. Works very nicely, is tens of feet long and quite thin. So yeah, don't bother...
IMG_1847.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Looks like a 9/125 um SC/APC connector cable with a 3mm jacket.
Not exactly a 1000 um POF TOSLINK cable. ;)

scapc.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Fiber Cable Color Codes

1552320804995.png

Yes, looks like a singlemode glass patch cable, suitable for cross connection at the end of miles of cable.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Funny how the green connector is called APC (Angled Physical Contact) which usually has an 8degree angle to reduce end reflections yet it states 0degrees.
That would make it a blue connector...
And I have made quite a few angled multimode connectors so I guess only the vendor of said table doesn't make them in multimode.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The market for expensive digital cables exists because people do not understand the nature of digital signal transmission.
I disagree - as with AGW/CC (anthropogenic global warming/climate change), "pathological audiophiliac consumerism" is a malady that cannot be reversed by simple knowledge and logic alone.

We humans often display strange sets of illogical behaviors, and it seems that the only effective manipulation techniques that have been deployed to effectively exploit these traits are by marketers and politicians - and usually not for purposes that benefit our species as a whole.

"Why" people believe debunked ideas and concepts - and things like audio fairy tales - is fairly well understood, but it seems as difficult to treat and/or reverse as physical addiction to opioids or belief in debunked conspiracy theories.

My love of science and music, and my interest in human psychology make ASR a fun place to hang out. Like AGW/CC discussion forums at science-based climate and meteorology websites a few years ago when denialism among meteorologists and severe weather followers was rampant, we get a fair number of defensive audio subjectivists showing up, some of whom demand scientific and logical explanitions, but when confronted with these explanations, demonstrate that they do not understand science and logic. I see occasional attempts here to promote unscientific subjectivism - even in this thread - and were countered respectfully in most cases. I am pleased with the predominance of science and engineering objectivism by most of our old-timers and regulars.

In this thread I have learned a lot about the basic physics and engineering of both optical and USB cables, and the comments seem to support my selection of my current favorite brand of USB cables and chargers (and 3.5mm audio cables) - the inexpensive, well designed and engineered Anker brand from Amazon. However, Anker does not offer Toslink optical cables. Then again, I have never had a problem with my motley collection of cheap and/or "included free" optical cables.

Top Bottom