• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opposite of ASR?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well he took it as you chastising him and responded accordingly.

So we are all friends again , just a misunderstanding , drinks are on me lol.

I read it as him referring to mindsets like said reviewer's (ie. "oh (they should just) fuck off"), no harm no foul cheers.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read it like this:

I cannot imagine the arrogance needed to regard your (you meant reviewer in /r/headphones, but it can seem to refer to Blujackaal) anecdotal experience or lay intuition remotely as valid as the opinions of a leading audio researcher and audio engineer backed by peer-reviewed published research (this points to the fact that you are supporting Blujackaal's PoV).
Since I followed this thread almost from the 1st page, I had read both of your other comments, which makes sense to me.

Yeah, I should have written it as "one's anecdotal experience" in hindsight.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Moderating doesn't seem to be an easy job, Sir Thomas :). I respect the effort you put.
Well when I'm in bed tapping away on my phone first thing on a Sunday morning the most challenging thing about it is dealing with the wrath of my other half !

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Sir, you did not say it deliberately, and clarified too.

In a lighter vein, many years back, one lady colleague had told me over email, "You have lot of passions towards me, and I like that". I had explained to her about a software tool the same day. No, we did not fall in love and get married. She meant patience when she said passions. With patience, I explained the difference to her, and she told me she meant patience. English can be a confusing language :).
I got a phone call out the blue years ago , it was a woman, she said " it's Lucy " . Years previously I'd had a GF called Lucy and she was one of those ones you'd be keen to see again.

Anyway after telling her how much I'd missed her and how beautiful and wonderful she was , news that she seemed delighted to hear It suddenly dawned on her she was not the Lucy I thought she was .. she was a Lucy I'd met in the pub a few weeks ago and forgot all about ..

A awkward misunderstanding ha ha

Blujackaal

I think there was some misreading, he was calling out a prominent reviewer in another community (I think I know said reviewer but am not naming him) that has very vocally contradicted Sean Olive and a professional headphone engineer in that forum despite not being remotely qualified to do so. I was just remarking that it takes a lot of arrogance from said reviewer to consistently do so, and I'm pretty sure @Blujackaal was directing his comment towards that sort of anti-intellectual, arrogant attitude. All's good.

I meant I was watching the reviewer make a fool of himself, I never argued with the reviewer because it is not worth -16 from his fans. Got fun when it decayed into all out war on when Metal got upset that oratory1990 gave his views on driver tech. Since he explained before why the ER4/ER2 can handle +10db bass boost with 5mm drivers which /r/headphones users always ignore. The only time i joined in was saying that with the strong drivers common with planar/electrostatic was that you could have the FR of the high end versions with no loss. Which is why I'm highly skeptic of "Speed or detail" common on audiophile forums. Same with BA headphones but you'd get the 16KHz version with the ER4SR but no loss outside of that.

I may have overreacted since my reading comprehension can fail, Sometimes the forum glitches while typing.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSO

Kaiede

Oh geez. I made the mistake of reading the 1000$ Ethernet cable review. The first page is a pile of something.

I’ve spent a decent chunk of my professional career setting up networks in data centers. From setting up VPNs, network segregations, Cisco firewalls, and even crimping the cables myself. You name it, I’ve probably done it.

So when I heard about “audiophile” Ethernet cables (and switches), I couldn’t help but vomit a little in my mouth. As an electrical/computer engineer, it didn’t make one “bit” of sense to me. In fact, it was ludicrous and admittedly – a bit irritating.

A reasonable response to “audiophile” Ethernet cables. But we already lose the plot in the very next paragraph:

However, as I’ve realized through the years of being an audiophile: When it comes to sound… “everything matters.” And those things can’t always be explained succinctly through science – if at all.

So we get the opening to this review where someone effectively says “I work in a field where signal processing is core to a lot of what I do... so let’s ignore all that experience and go with our feelings.” I honestly feel a bit ashamed someone in my field would be this blind to the cognitive biases here.

Surprisingly, this is the case even when the Ethernet cable is hardwired to your modem and router – but is streaming music wirelessly to your devices. You’ll still hear characteristics of that Ethernet cable.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall when he realizes there’s likely a bunch of buried coax “affecting” his streamed bits too...

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
In my experience Audiogon, i remember people selling "stereophonic blah blah" rocks that you put on top of your system to make it sound better....I guess 1 for each speaker?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In my experience Audiogon, i remember people selling "stereophonic blah blah" rocks that you put on top of your system to make it sound better....I guess 1 for each speaker?

Hey, I got one of them,

RockConcert.JPG

raif71

Major Contributor
Sir, you did not say it deliberately, and clarified too.

In a lighter vein, many years back, one lady colleague had told me over email, "You have lot of passions towards me, and I like that". I had explained to her about a software tool the same day. No, we did not fall in love and get married. She meant patience when she said passions. I explained the difference, and she told me she meant patience. English can be a confusing language :).
To me, looks like a typo that she did there :)

OP
archerious

archerious

Blujackaal

Seems like Reddit on fire when /r/headphones front page is them crying about the LCDX review. Everyone saying 5% THD is fine and many suddenly can read charts?.

That bit is just diet SBAF.

Last edited:

denari.novah

I'm curious what is the opposite of this site?

I love the science here and measurements, Speed Test but what is the opposite that likes distortion and thinks it sounds "musical audiofool blah blah"?

Maybe head-fi? I've seen them recommend trash (audio-gd) products before.

Thanks,
Tom.
Audiogon is pretty crazy as the turnover depends on audiophilia nervosa.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Audiogon is pretty crazy as the turnover depends on audiophilia nervosa.
If one spends a long time (years) on some hifi fora, it is noteworthy how many instances one observes of folks turning over "forever components" (and not just loudespeakers) after a year or two in search of something even better.

There is some weird psychology at work there, no doubt.

Blujackaal

Really love reading Reddit for how bad subjective impressions can get. There 6 users that shill Stax/LCD, Which insulted me when Rtings show. The +20db <70Hz shelf they need means the L300ltd has the stock bass of a ER4XR?.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If one spends a long time (years) on some hifi fora, it is noteworthy how many instances one observes of folks turning over "forever components" (and not just loudespeakers) after a year or two in search of something even better.

If I could do that, I wouldn't have two offsite storerooms and a house full of HiFi. They are the clever ones. Selling something to buy something new.

I sold tons of gear at one point over several years, then I got seller's remorse, even though it didn't make a dent in the collection. :facepalm:

Top Bottom