• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opposite of ASR?

Vasr

Major Contributor
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php

This site seems to attract a lot of Devil worshippers and Voodoo believers.

Also Amir seems to live rent free in their cult-leader's head given the amount of time he spends obsessing about Amir/ASR. Possibly because they just don't get as much traffic. They also do measurements which they promptly ignore in their reviews.

Given their tastes, they could have named that site Schiitheads to be more accurate.

Asylum Seeker

No BS Budget Audio group on FB. Ironically the moderator claims to admire ASR while running a circus over there...

Blujackaal

They also do measurements which they promptly ignore in their reviews.

And have been caught making fake measurements before. To avoid admitting old schiit audio couldn't even handle CD audio, they only peaked 14 bit on some units.

No BS Budget Audio group on FB. Ironically the moderator claims to admire ASR while running a circus over there...

Like diet /r/headphones only objective when it suits them, has a guy hype a £1600+ DAP & some use 24/96 despite you can turn them into dithered 16/44 with no loss.

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Heh reminds me of Reddit impressions of the ER2SE where they said it sounded warmer than the ER4SR. Yet FR charts show both having the same FR bass wise.

Absolutely hilarious. No coincidence that the gold headphone is perceived as less bright at 6kHz than the silver one. Sonic impressions are as much visual impressions.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
True confession :) I like the "Mad Scientist Audio" website. He/They don't seem to take themselves too seriously.
Besides -- they would send a pair of their magic Black Discus thingies (albeit somewhat downsized from the for-profit versions) to one absolutely free - from New Zealand - for the asking.
Why, yes, I have a pair. :rolleyes:
I even had them on my speaker wires for a while. Quite a while, actually.
Sort of like an arthritic wearing a copper bracelet -- couldn't hoit, right? :)

http://www.madscientist-audio.com/

In full disclosure, this company has gotten some complaints online from folks who actually spent money for their products -- so I am not exactly recommending them... just thought I'd share a testamonial (of sorts). ;)

DSC_0586 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

EDIT: So, I note, wryly, that - in the photo above - the Black Discus thingies are stuck (via some audiophile-grade BluTac adhesive goo) to a pair of speaker wires made out of varnish-insulated18-ga solid copper wire! :rolleyes: These were/are even "commercial" products* -- usually stuff like this at my house is DIY... of the here, hold my beer and watch this! school of thought. ;)

https://anticables.com/anticables-lab-a-history-of-improvements

Last edited:
Reactions: PSO

Blujackaal

Absolutely hilarious. No coincidence that the gold headphone is perceived as less bright at 6kHz than the silver one. Sonic impressions are as much visual impressions.

His signature makes it even more golden, Subjective impressions should be ignored unless the data backs it up. He just showed why objective data matters when it comes to audio & our ears/brains are trash at doing any by ear tests.

Etymotic's stuff always been a good test on biased reviewers i can find at least 4 that judge & then bash the BA versions. Because it not to their taste or expectations hence the "BA timbre/bass" that plagues Reddit/Head fi term a thing. I've had some flame me when i pointed out balanced armatures sound like planar drivers, If you want more bass from it just use a low shelf. Right after giving the LCD2 11/10's for bass both speed & detail since SPL demands on BA drivers are tiny with fit the Ety ER*SE need which is why they stick with 5mm units.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Besides -- they would send a pair of their magic Black Discus thingies (albeit somewhat downsized from the for-profit versions) to one absolutely free - from New Zealand - for the asking.

No offence, but that's just drug dealer marketing tactics 101 :D

AndrewDavis

He/They don't seem to take themselves too seriously.

This is essential if a "testing" site doesn't actually know what they're doing.

The Myth busters used scientific vocabulary, but at the end of the day we all knew it was just an elaborate excuse to blow stuff up.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
No offence, but that's just drug dealer marketing tactics 101 :D
True enough -- the first hit's free -- and always a good tactic in hifi, too. Hifi (at least for some of us) is not all that dissimilar to regular old drug addiction, just a different kind of drug.

This is essential if a "testing" site doesn't actually know what they're doing.

The Myth busters used scientific vocabulary, but at the end of the day we all knew it was just an elaborate excuse to blow stuff up.
"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

:cool:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely Head-Fi. They have some incredible imaginations there.

Not to mention that some objectivist terms are foreboden from being spoken except in their Sound Science Forum. Phrases like "double blind testing" and "confirmation bias" violate Jude's rules and can get you modded.

Blujackaal

Not to mention that some objectivist terms are foreboden from being spoken except in their Sound Science Forum. Phrases like "double blind testing" and "confirmation bias" violate Jude's rules and can get you modded.

Even there Sound Science is junk, I had 5 users flame me because their opinions about balanced armatures or anything that could be disproven by a FR chart. Just going planar/BA headphone >>>>> speaker for detail, Cue 2 threads from 2 users upset over my half joking opinion.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Even there Sound Science is junk, I had 5 users flame me because their opinions about balanced armatures or anything that could be disproven by a FR chart. Just going planar/BA headphone >>>>> speaker for detail, Cue 2 threads from 2 users upset over my half joking opinion.
I still post there. It isn’t that bad compared to other sub forums or forums.

Blujackaal

I still post there. It isn’t that bad compared to other sub forums or forums.

I still use it too after blocking them since Head fi still better than Reddit. Since their at least self aware about it, Since the place loathes the HD650 hype when they're other better choices by AKG/Beyerdynamic.

OP
archerious

archerious

I still use it too after blocking them since Head fi still better than Reddit. Since their at least self aware about it, Since the place loathes the HD650 hype when they're other better choices by AKG/Beyerdynamic.

/r/audiophile were who recommended audiosciencereview to me, they are good lads.

It's /r/headphones that are insane.

Blujackaal

/r/audiophile were who recommended audiosciencereview to me, they are good lads.

It's /r/headphones that are insane.

Yeah noticed that, there 2 users that cry about ASR on the audiophile sub. /r/headphones always had a ****** userbase the amount that cry can be anything from 6 ~ 56(more doing downvotes). One reviewer there had a spat with Sean olive & oratory1990 over DAC's sounding different & them saying "Detail/speed" is audiophile woo not even many Speaker brands use that term. Since they always show up in a BA/Planar impression to cry how dynamic headphones are the only good driver, When there nothing to back why DD bass is better. I've noticed many in the headphone sub seem to love sharing opinions on stuff they have no experience in or had tried at all.

All while bashing head fi with no self awareness.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah noticed that, there 2 users that cry about ASR on the audiophile sub. /r/headphones always had a ****** userbase the amount that cry can be anything from 6 ~ 56(more doing downvotes). One reviewer there had a spat with Sean olive & oratory1990 over DAC's sounding different & them saying "Detail/speed" is audiophile woo not even many Speaker brands use that term. Since they always show up in a BA/Planar impression to cry how dynamic headphones are the only good driver, When there nothing to back why DD bass is better. I've noticed many in the headphone sub seem to love sharing opinions on stuff they have no experience in or had tried at all.

All while bashing head fi with no self awareness.

I cannot imagine the arrogance needed to regard your anecdotal experience or lay intuition remotely as valid as the opinions of a leading audio researcher and audio engineer backed by peer-reviewed published research.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I cannot imagine the arrogance needed to regard your anecdotal experience or lay intuition remotely as valid as the opinions of a leading audio researcher and audio engineer backed by peer-reviewed published research.
I don't understand this post, having read through @Blujackaal post history it seems underserved.

The response from @Blujackaal has been removed.

Can we treat eachother with a bit of respect please.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand this post, having read through @Blujackaal post history it seems underserved.

The response from @Blujackaal has been removed.

Can we tread eachother with a bit of respect please.

I think there was some misreading, he was calling out a prominent reviewer in another community (I think I know said reviewer but am not naming him) that has very vocally contradicted Sean Olive and a professional headphone engineer in that forum despite not being remotely qualified to do so. I was just remarking that it takes a lot of arrogance from said reviewer to consistently do so, and I'm pretty sure @Blujackaal was directing his comment towards that sort of anti-intellectual, arrogant attitude. All's good.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I think there was some misreading, he was calling out a prominent reviewer in another community (I think I know said reviewer but am not naming him) that has very vocally contradicted Sean Olive and a professional headphone engineer in that forum despite not being remotely qualified to do so. I was just remarking that it takes a lot of arrogance from said reviewer to consistently do so, and I'm pretty sure @Blujackaal was directing his comment towards that sort of anti-intellectual, arrogant attitude. All's good.
Well he took it as you chastising him and responded accordingly.

So we are all friends again , just a misunderstanding , drinks are on me lol.

Top Bottom