• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Oppo Sonica USB DAC and Streamer Review

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The lesson to take away from this is to NOT buy any product which relies on apps or any external program

I'm amazed it's taken so long for people to realise that. The 'app' functionality should be icing on the already complete cake and something you can either take or leave.

It's the same with PC based test equipment or industrial machinery (CNCs etc). You end up either with an expensive doorstop/brick or you have to maintain ancient computers, unsupported operating systems and interfaces for sometimes, decades.

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

Yes, software is a problem.

I could circumvent that problem by downloading the Oppo Sonica APK file from several sites.

It installs perfectly on my Android 13 smartphone and seems to open as it should.

Problem is, I do not own the Sonica :-(
But would like to get one used...

BUT : if it does not support gapless, then it's more or less a "No Go" because I listen to classicla music and operas + live music => no gapless ruins the experience !

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure what is your point, what is your critical goal, with OPPO Sonica DAC.

I still keep Sonica DAC working perfectly fine (and still the excellent sound quality!) in my second audio system in my office upstairs. I use Sonica DAC as "pure USB DAC" receiving digital audio signal from JRiver MC (or Roon, if you like) on my Windows 11 Pro PC; if needed I can also use DSP software EKIO digitally between JRiver and Sonica DAC.

As for the "gapless" playback, JRiver (and Roon) can do it perfectly; I (you) have no need at all to ask Sonica DAC for "gapless".;)

Just for your ref, I never used Sonica APP on my smartphone, except for the firmware update only once.

C. Cook

The Sonica DAC works fine without the app, IIRC. Mine came with a little credit card remote too, which I think may have been limited? Don't see too many listings for used ones with the remote. But you should be able to find one. Otherwise, all functionality is accessible via the interface and knobs on the fascia.

Top Bottom