• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Oppo BDP-103 with oppomod i2s over HDMI card to Gustard x26pro

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
I have about 100 SACDs that seldom get played on my Oppo BDP-103. I found the ripped DSD tracks sound better through my Gustard x26pro (plus they are more convenient). I don't know why but I've been intrigued by the new devices and mods that allow connecting i2s over HDMI between a SACD player and an external DAC. I did buy one of these boxes out of China: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203496436505?var=503859440176 to connect between my Oppo BDP-103 and my Gustard x26pro but ran into pinout problems. I can probably fix the pinout problems but then found out this box has particular problems with ES9038 chips which are used in the x26pro.

In hindsight I guess I could have bought the DoP version of the same box which converts DSD signal to DoP64 and sends it through S/PDIF to the DAC. Although probably a compromise but some say it performs quite well.

Instead I decided to try the Oppomod i2s over HDMI card modification to my Oppo BDP-103 and now have one on order. https://www.oppomod.com/ They offer a specific firmware for the card when used with the Gustard x26pro. I just ordered one of these and curious on other's thoughts on the subject and what experiences others have had with these type of connections?

SoundsGood64

It looks like you are trying to send DSD, either files or SACD, from the Oppo BDP-103 to Gustard x26pro. I don't have any experience with the Oppomod i2s, but this is interesting and will follow this thread. With the i2s card mod, will you still have one or two HDMI out ports available, or will HDMI be gone?

I would note that with your DSD files, your playback from Oppo 103 would not be gapless. Also, the user interface with the Oppo isn't that great (realize this is subjective). You could try Volumio 3 on a Raspberry Pi 4 and connect that via USB to your Gustard DAC. That would likely give you a better user interface, no damage risk of modding your oppo, and gapless DSD playback in 2 channels. If you are interested in multichannel playback of DSD files, please see this other post:

OP
S

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
It looks like you are trying to send DSD, either files or SACD, from the Oppo BDP-103 to Gustard x26pro. I don't have any experience with the Oppomod i2s, but this is interesting and will follow this thread. With the i2s card mod, will you still have one or two HDMI out ports available, or will HDMI be gone?

I would note that with your DSD files, your playback from Oppo 103 would not be gapless. Also, the user interface with the Oppo isn't that great (realize this is subjective). You could try Volumio 3 on a Raspberry Pi 4 and connect that via USB to your Gustard DAC. That would likely give you a better user interface, no damage risk of modding your oppo, and gapless DSD playback in 2 channels. If you are interested in multichannel playback of DSD files, please see this other post:

I won’t be using the BDP-103 for anything other than as a SACD transport. I already have a server with all my DSD files in its library that are sent to my x26pro through USB and it works and sounds fine.

From what I understand the Oppo will play the SACD as it would normally. The Oppomod card intercepts the signal coming from the SACD and sends it out i2s over HDMI. From what I have been told the BDP-103 works as normal except now it has a another HDMI output connection that sends out DSD with i2s over HDMI to an external DAC. It should play SACDs gapless as before.

I assume the SACDs playing on the Oppo and my ripped DSD files playing from the server will both sound exactly the same through the Gustard. Only difference is the sever using USB and the Oppo using i2s Connection to the Gustard.

SoundsGood64

I understand now that you intend to use Oppo 103 just for SACD disc playing transport and not for file streaming. On the back of Oppo 103 there is "HDMI Out 1" and "HDMI Out 2" both of which carry digital signals under the HDMI data specification. When you install the i2s card, which one of those rear HDMI plug ports will then be turned into an i2s data port? For example maybe it's one of these 2 possibilities:

HDMI Out 1: HDMI data transport (stock)
HDMI Out 2: i2s data transport (mod)

HDMI Out 1: i2s data transport (mod)
HDMI Out 2: HDMI data transport (stock)

Neat. Hopefully there will be posts from someone with experience.
Also, it might (or might not) matter if you're doing this with 103 vs 103D because I think the HDMI outs might not be equivalent between those 2 similar but not identical models.

OP
S

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
I understand now that you intend to use Oppo 103 just for SACD disc playing transport and not for file streaming. On the back of Oppo 103 there is "HDMI Out 1" and "HDMI Out 2" both of which carry digital signals under the HDMI data specification. When you install the i2s card, which one of those rear HDMI plug ports will then be turned into an i2s data port? For example maybe it's one of these 2 possibilities:

HDMI Out 1: HDMI data transport (stock)
HDMI Out 2: i2s data transport (mod)

HDMI Out 1: i2s data transport (mod)
HDMI Out 2: HDMI data transport (stock)

Neat. Hopefully there will be posts from someone with experience.
Also, it might (or might not) matter if you're doing this with 103 vs 103D because I think the HDMI outs might not be equivalent between those 2 similar but not identical models.

The Oppomod card adds a third HDMI output that is i2s only. You have to do a little fabrication on the back panel to add a new opening for it. I think the 103D only has changes in the video performance and the audio is identical.

Wino

I have an Oppo 105. I have used this box to send SACD via HDMI to I2S in my 2 DACs. A HoloAudio May and a Gustard X26 Pro without issue. I almost never use it as I stream my ripped SACDs via RPi to USB and the DACs. But, I can if I want too...

OP
S

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
I have an Oppo 105. I have used this box to send SACD via HDMI to I2S in my 2 DACs. A HoloAudio May and a Gustard X26 Pro without issue. I almost never use it as I stream my ripped SACDs via RPi to USB and the DACs. But, I can if I want too...

I also have that same box (per OP) but could not get it to work with my x26pro. I believe the pinouts are different between the box and the Gustard? Did you make a special HDMI cable? They also claim the box has noise problems with ES9038pro chips? They make a version of this same box that converts the signal to DoP and then will send DoP64 to a DAC through S/PDIF coax. Do you have the DoP version?

Last edited:

Wino

I have the box that I linked to attached to HoloAudio May. Hadn't connected to Gustard since I bought it... However, just connected it and it is doing DSD, not DOP. Agree that there is a noise issue though with the DSD.

OP
S

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
I have the box that I linked to attached to HoloAudio May. Hadn't connected to Gustard since I bought it... However, just connected it and it is doing DSD, not DOP. Agree that there is a noise issue though with the DSD.

So you used a normal HDMI cable between the box and the Gustard? I could not get that to work at all. Did you have to put 5v power to the box? Were the stereo channels switched? I don’t think the DoP version of the box has any specific markings on the outside? I’m sure a knowledgeable person can tell by looking inside. I do know the DoP version connects to the transport with HdmI but only transmits DoP over S/PDIF (Coax) to the DAC.

Wino

I used a normal HDMI cable and power was just through the normal HDMI connected to the Oppo 105.

I currently have it connected to HoloAudio May in the same configuration. Worked with no configuration changes and also sends DSD not DOP.

OP
S

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
I used a normal HDMI cable and power was just through the normal HDMI connected to the Oppo 105.

I currently have it connected to HoloAudio May in the same configuration. Worked with no configuration changes and also sends DSD not DOP.

Hmm, how do you have the switch set? I think TV is bypass, AMP is stereo and DOU is surround sound? Can you notice if the channels are switched with the Gustard? Possibly even phase off? What kind of noise is there? Background? Noisy on track changes etc?

Wino

Set to amp. No changes to Gustard. Phase is off. Background static. Probably a cable pin issue, not a perfect alignment. Get none of the noise with Holo May which has silent background.

OP
S

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
Set to amp. No changes to Gustard. Phase is off. Background static. Probably a cable pin issue, not a perfect alignment. Get none of the noise with Holo May which has silent background.
Thanks for the help! Maybe the Holo has the same pin mode as the box? Did you have to program the Holo i2s pin settings? Maybe it automatically does it? Maybe the solution is get a Holo May? Ha! Very nice DAC, maybe the best? Some serious coin though…

Wino

I did not have to change the Holo May. Default worked. I believe the Holo May has three settings you can change too. You can have a look at the manual and see the pins bening used and compare to the Gustard. From there, cable should be easily made.

Regarding HoloAudio May:) Yes, love the DAC. I've compared both and subjectively prefer the sound to the Gustard, but I do own them both and love the Gustard as well.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It probably does sound better on new Sabre (actually whole 32 bit gen has a complicated and good authend deticated line for PDM) then old CS4282a. If you ripped it off already for convince purpose you might as well convert it to PCM flac's (for stereo one's at least). Actually you can use PDM (DSD) line out in flight time conversion (close to real-time and supporting gaples if implemented well) for all reproduction (as long software player has such out and device enough horses [CPU power] to do it) on Gustard X26Pro ES9038 DAC if you wish. I do it with Sabre 32 DAC's and JRiver. Save OPO if you need transport sometimes.

OP
S

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
I did not have to change the Holo May. Default worked. I believe the Holo May has three settings you can change too. You can have a look at the manual and see the pins bening used and compare to the Gustard. From there, cable should be easily made.
I’ve been able to use the HDMI/i2s box with the x26pro for playback of normal CDs on my Oppo BPR-103 but no luck with SACDs yet. The CDs sound pretty good and I don’t notice any noise. Have you played both CDs and SACDs with your 105 through the HDMI/i2s box? Do you get noise with both or just when playing SACDs?

I do have the parts to make a custom cable and its on my list to try.

Last edited:

Wino

Can't remember trying CDs with Oppo to X26. I have done both with the Holo May with no noise. I have burned everything to FLAC and DSF and use a RPi with Picoreplayer over USB to both DACs as my main way of listening. I will connect the Oppo to X26 in the next couple of days and test it for you.

Wino

I’ve been able to use the HDMI/i2s box with the x26pro for playback of normal CDs on my Oppo BPR-103 but no luck with SACDs yet. The CDs sound pretty good and I don’t notice any noise. Have you played both CDs and SACDs with your 105 through the HDMI/i2s box? Do you get noise with both or just when playing SACDs?

I do have the parts to make a custom cable and its on my list to try.

Just hooked up the Oppo to Gustard via I2S and played a CD without any static. Played a SACD and still getting static.

OP
S

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
Just hooked up the Oppo to Gustard via I2S and played a CD without any static. Played a SACD and still getting static.
Yeah my box seems to play CDs fine too but I think the polarity is switched so I switch it back on the Gustard. I can’t get SACDs to play at all. Do you know what the settings are on your Oppo for SACD playback? Mine is set to SACD priority > stereo, HDMI audio > bitstream, SACD Output > DSD. I have tried a few other settings but still no sound from SACDs yet.

Wino

Same settings except HDMI Audio set to Auto.

Top Bottom