• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opioid use can trigger deafness

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Potential bad news for audiophiles in need of pain relief.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/08/200817144112.htm

"Researchers identified 41 people with opioid exposure who experienced full or partial hearing loss or tinnitus, likely caused by toxicity to the ear. More than half had used heroin, followed by oxycodone, methadone and tramadol; 88 percent had only one known exposure."

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Potential bad news for audiophiles in need of pain relief.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/08/200817144112.htm

"Researchers identified 41 people with opioid exposure who experienced full or partial hearing loss or tinnitus, likely caused by toxicity to the ear. More than half had used heroin, followed by oxycodone, methadone and tramadol; 88 percent had only one known exposure."

In addition, opioid overdose is the #1 cause of death in Americans under the age of 50. Each year in the U.S., opioids take the lives of 47,000 people.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In addition, opioid overdose is the #1 cause of death in Americans under the age of 50. Each year in the U.S., opioids take the lives of 47,000 people.
I take codeine in huge amounts when I have a reallly pesky harsh cough. With asthma my cough can sometimes be so strong it can break ribs and cough suppression is a requirement. Literally after a good dose in 45 minutes I don't cough much anymore. It really is not a luxury. I appreciate the stuff very much. I usually get it in 70, 60mg tabs at a time. I never noticed ringing in my ears or anything audible.

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I take codeine in huge amounts when I have a reallly pesky harsh cough. With asthma my cough can sometimes be so strong it can break ribs and cough suppression is a requirement. Literally after a good dose in 45 minutes I don't cough much anymore. It really is not a luxury. I appreciate the stuff very much. I usually get it in 70, 60mg tabs at a time. I never noticed ringing in my ears or anything audible.

According to the researchers, this type of ototoxicity is rare. I reckon most people who legitimately need to take opioids should not worry.

Top Bottom