• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinions requested regarding setup

ralphf

Hi, after doing some research, I am considering the following setup

iphone -> Auris bluetooth 5.0 Receiver -> a pair of active speakers

Would a setup like this work? Also, any recommendations for a pair of active speakers under $2,000 for the pair?

Lastly, would separates (e.g., a ghent amp GA-S125P and Definitive Technology D11's) be better for this setup than a pair of active speakers?

Thank you

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It sounds like you are wanting to invest in good speakers. In that case (my opinion) you should not use bluetooth as the main way to connect to them. I'd use part of the budget for a decent streamer that you can control from your phone. Something like WXA50 (passive speakers) or WXC50 (active speakers). These just being examples.
edit: since you use an iPhone I wonder if you subscribe to Apple Music. In that case I'd go with Sonos since it seems to be the only solution to include Apple Music. Otherwise you can use something with Airplay and that will also be better than bluetooth.

Last edited:
OP
R

ralphf

It sounds like you are wanting to invest in good speakers. In that case (my opinion) you should not use bluetooth as the main way to connect to them. I'd use part of the budget for a decent streamer that you can control from your phone. Something like WXA50 (passive speakers) or WXC50 (active speakers). These just being examples.
edit: since you use an iPhone I wonder if you subscribe to Apple Music. In that case I'd go with Sonos since it seems to be the only solution to include Apple Music. Otherwise you can use something with Airplay and that will also be better than bluetooth.

Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, I am not connecting the speakers via bluetooth. The Auris receiver receives the music via bluetooth from the iphone and then delivers the signal to the speakers via rca cables. As for the Auris and bluetooth, it handles AAC for the iphone. Don't know if any of this changes your opinion.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, I am not connecting the speakers via bluetooth. The Auris receiver receives the music via bluetooth from the iphone and then delivers the signal to the speakers via rca cables. As for the Auris and bluetooth, it handles AAC for the iphone. Don't know if any of this changes your opinion.
Understood. No, I still would not want bluetooth in the path. The sound quality is not as good as what you can get with a streamer. But more than that I just have never had a nice experience using bluetooth. There always seem to be connection issues or little hiccups.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
+1 for Yamaha WXC-50. Leaves you with an option to add a separate DAC, MiniDSP, power amp etc. in the future.

Something like the Genelec 8030C would be a great speaker choice. What's your listening distance?

Katji

Major Contributor
Lastly, would separates (e.g., a ghent amp GA-S125P and Definitive Technology D11's) be better for this setup than a pair of active speakers?
It is not related. The benefits of active speakers are convenience of the integration - no cables, less boxes/devices, no doubts about matching/synergy/whatever, and the benefits of separate components is that you can more easily try different speakers, amps, and so on.
Some active speakers have the Bluetooth integrated.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 for Yamaha WXC-50. Leaves you with an option to add a separate DAC, MiniDSP, power amp etc. in the future.

Something like the Genelec 8030C would be a great speaker choice. What's your listening distance?

The WXC-50 is how I would go too. Although for Apple Music subscriber I would say get the Sonos Connect (Gen 2). These seem to go for a little over $200 used. The Connect is ugly, but I found a nice solution to hide it (sorry if I am derailing the topic):

1616266569107.png

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Atom...ite+clock&qid=1616266313&s=home-garden&sr=1-5

Top Bottom