• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinions on Hypex Plate (FusionAMP) Amplifiers?

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone, i'm planing a stereo diy project that implies a pair of hypex fusion Fa503

I will need a dac too, and my choice will go for a smsl dac with symetrical xlr outputs

I am confused how to connect the dac as i read that fa503 operates as master and slave speaker?

Will dac both xlr outputs be connected to one hypex master, and then i conect via optical to the second hypex slave?

Or will dac xlr left output be connected to left speaker and dac xlr right output be connected to right speaker?
Thanks

why would you get a DAC when the fusion amps have digital inputs?

Vince2

The hypex has a dac build in and accepts digital input. You use a second connection to the second hypex over the digital out to the in. If you use another dac, you would use the analogue input, and make the same digital connection to the second hypex or make a direct analogue connection to the second hypex

Gremlins

The hypex has a dac build in and accepts digital input. You use a second connection to the second hypex over the digital out to the in. If you use another dac, you would use the analogue input, and make the same digital connection to the second hypex or make a direct analogue connection to the second hypex

I'm still confuse, sorry

I'm waiting my order actually, so did not yet get the product in hands

I'm building a SEAS kingro4y mk3, waiting all parts to arrive

I then realised how would i opperate the stereo from my laptop?

Below is my understanding:
Dac would be for volume control too with rotary knob

Laptop usb => dac/preamp volume control =>dac XLR LEFT output to hypex 1 input xlr and dac XLR RIGHT output to hypex 2 input xlr

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm still confuse, sorry

I'm waiting my order actually, so did not yet get the product in hands

I'm building a SEAS kingro4y mk3, waiting all parts to arrive

I then realised how would i opperate the stereo from my laptop?

Below is my understanding:
Dac would be for volume control too with rotary knob

Laptop usb => dac/preamp volume control =>dac XLR LEFT output to hypex 1 input xlr and dac XLR RIGHT output to hypex 2 input xlr

I would get a USB to AES (or Toslink) interface, otherwise the DAC is a waste of money in this scenario.

Gremlins

I would get a USB to AES (or Toslink) interface, otherwise the DAC is a waste of money in this scenario.
Thanks, could you share a reference so that i can look?

So in your scenario, it would be laptop => usb interface , out toslink => in toslink speaker 1 => from speaker 1 master , a cable to speaker two slave

Correct?

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, could you share a reference so that i can look?

So in your scenario, it would be laptop => usb interface , out toslink => in toslink speaker 1 => from speaker 1 master , a cable to speaker two slave

Correct?

Yes, personally I would get this so I would have access to more channels in the future. but any interface that isn't defective would work just the same.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dio8

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hello everyone, i'm planing a stereo diy project that implies a pair of hypex fusion Fa503

I will need a dac too, and my choice will go for a smsl dac with symetrical xlr outputs

I am confused how to connect the dac as i read that fa503 operates as master and slave speaker?

Will dac both xlr outputs be connected to one hypex master, and then i conect via optical to the second hypex slave?

Or will dac xlr left output be connected to left speaker and dac xlr right output be connected to right speaker?
Thanks

XLR left to left speaker and XLR right to right speaker. Or optionally get a preamp/streamer with variable digital output, so you can run digital signal directly to the speakers/hypex amps.

Vince2

Or you can use chromecast audio, cast from windows laptop and use the optical in on hypex. About the least expensive option.

Gremlins

Thanks for your help

I see there are many options

I have a laptop with daphile (no windows) that reads my hard disk with my flac albums

I need a rotary volume control, reason why i thought i would need a dac with volule control, and if possible then xlr outputs to connect to speaker right and left

If i have a dac, then i will send analogue in the speakers

Some suggest i enter in digital, i'm ok but i understand i need an interface usb to toslink, then i enter in toslink in speaker left that become master and then connect master to slave by optical cable, is that correct?

But then , how do i manage volume rotary control ?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Its a requirement for me to have rotary control. I have kids and remoted often get loose ...

Well, then one of those Amazon options might suit you.

I have kids and remoted often get loose ...

Is your nickname a referral to those kids ;), because I have one of those as well. Gotta love em :cool:

Last edited:

Gremlins

So the rorary
Topping d10s can do usb to toslink at $100, good and cheap.

Good to know
So , in this scenario i have laptop usb to topping => output toslink topping to input toslink speaker A master => optical cable to speaker B slave

Correct?

What difference to have digital input VS Rca or XLR from a Dac?

There's an internal conversion in the fa503 after the analogues input rca or xlr?

Vince2

Digital had 1 dB better distortion-noise compared to analogue. Yes, fa503 converts the analogue to digital in order to apply dsp and then back to analogue. Coax cables providers easy digital connections. Are you sure that you want or need the extra capacity of the fa503, the fa253 has more then enough power for most listening situations.

Last edited:

Gremlins

Ok got it, thanks
I now understand why a dac would be useless

So options :
-Topping d10s so i can come out in toslink
- Rotary control on amazon
I would like somerhing a little fancier that a 15 dollar rotary control or a topping

I can throw 300 no problem

I could be looking at a streamer that can read hard disc flacs?

Gremlins

Hi there,

Would a SMSL SD-9 be a good choice to drive fa503?

I could plug a hard disc with flacs , monitor by application, control volume by the rotary knob. Then output AES to input AES speaker A ( that becomes master) and then output coaxial from speaker A to coaxial in speaker B ( that becomes slave)

Am i right?

I pick smsl sd-9 , it could be any other

0mega0

Hi there,

Would a SMSL SD-9 be a good choice to drive fa503?

I could plug a hard disc with flacs , monitor by application, control volume by the rotary knob. Then output AES to input AES speaker A ( that becomes master) and then output coaxial from speaker A to coaxial in speaker B ( that becomes slave)

Am i right?

I pick smsl sd-9 , it could be any other

Hello,

I have an S.M.S.L. SD-9. It does not have a DAC. I am not sure if the FA503 has a DAC. You may need to use a DAC in between the SD-9 and the FA503. Also, there is no way to control volume from the SD-9. It simply takes input from the network, SD card, or USB then outputs to USB, I2S, Optical, AES, or Coaxial. The volume would need to be controlled from your pre-amp or power amplifier.

I like the idea of the SD-9. With the current version of firmware, 1.0, it is not implemented well. I have not been able to get gapless playback to function using DLNA at all. Gapless will function if the incoming audio is from a USB source or via SMB over a network share.

Also, I have noticed audible distortion with some music that is not present if I remove the SD-9 from the chain, (connecting the DAC to a computer instead of to the SD-9). Since it is noticeable in some music I am assuming that the distortion is present in all music and that it is just more noticeable in some types of music.

I have contacted S.M.S.L. support about these issues but have not received a solution yet.

It would be nice to see reviews of this device. I have not been able to find any except for a single review on Amazon by someone who is using it in a very simple configuration.

If the two issues mentioned above can be corrected via a firmware update it could be a very good device, but in its' current form it is not useful to me at least.

Gremlins

Thanks
So how to control volume when plug in gigital in fa503?

Exception is hypex remote control which i don't want

Top Bottom