• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinions on Hypex Plate (FusionAMP) Amplifiers?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any details on the FIR option? How many taps are available? Is there one bank, or is it per channel?

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
However, according to Hypex sales team:

66532B7A-AE29-415A-BCA2-C110DF378CBF.jpeg

Disappointing :(

There is the no upgrade path for customers with plate amps which does not have a version 03xx DSP-board installed. It should be as easy as exchanging this part.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
FIR capabilities is only supported on Fusionamps that comes with v5.x firmware from the factory. I just inquired, and currently this is true for all Fusionamps that are shipped from Hypex except FA501.

Hemi-Demon

FIR capabilities is only supported on Fusionamps that comes with v5.x firmware from the factory. I just inquired, and currently this is true for all Fusionamps that are shipped from Hypex except FA501.

I am a tad confused, are you saying it's best to order the FA501 direct from Hypex to get the latest firmware V5. X?

Is it best to just order from Hypex direct for all Fusion amps?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I am a tad confused, are you saying it's best to order the FA501 direct from Hypex to get the latest firmware V5. X?

Is it best to just order from Hypex direct for all Fusion amps?

I am saying that currently FA501 with firmware v5.x is not available from anywhere, including Hypex.

It will be fine to order the amps from anywhere, but in the transition period (while old stock are still out there), you won't know for sure which version you get unless you ask.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I am saying that currently FA501 with firmware v5.x is not available from anywhere, including Hypex.

It will be fine to order the amps from anywhere, but in the transition period (while old stock are still out there), you won't know for sure which version you get unless you ask.
It's never good when manufacturers make a significant change to a product without changing its model name/number, but at least they're answering the question for those who have worked out that it might need asking.

Lucmor444

Noob question.

Is my understanding correct that if using S/PDIF I connect one amp using the digital input and then use a second connection to the second hypex over the digital out to the in. I then select L speaker preset on one amp and R speaker preset on the other amp to enable 2 channel stereo playback?

TIA

MKW

@Lucmor444 Yes, you can set either amp as left or right. Connecting them in the way you described (run left & right to one, then 'daisy-chain' to the other amp), you should also set the first amp as Master, and the daisy-chained amp as slave. This is especially helpful if you intend to use the (optional) remote capability.

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The sampling rate is set to 93.75kHz instead of one of the more traditional audio rates. This is specifically done to improve the performance of the SRC4382.
An uncommon clock frequency reduces the odds that mix products between the incoming clock and the internal clock fall inside the PLL loop bandwidth of the SRC.

this topic has already been discussed on ASR before:
If I resample at source to 93750 and use the SPIDF input, will this improve over 44100 input?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I resample at source to 93750 and use the SPIDF input, will this improve over 44100 input?
No, it won't. In fact, it will make it worse. Since the amp has its own clock domain, it will need to resample anyway (so 93.75 kHz => 93.75 kHz), and then you'll run into exactly the same issue that they were trying to prevent in the first place.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

Lucmor444

@Lucmor444 Yes, you can set either amp as left or right. Connecting them in the way you described (run left & right to one, then 'daisy-chain' to the other amp), you should also set the first amp as Master, and the daisy-chained amp as slave. This is especially helpful if you intend to use the (optional) remote capability.
Finally setting up my amps! So in my intended multi setting for a stereo set up is the Master (set up to power left stereo speaker) 'digital audio channel select' option set as 'Left+Right' or just as 'Left'?

TIA

Lucmor444

Looking for further assistance please (that the HFD manual doesn't assist with).

I want to copy an existing DSP file on one FA253 to another FA253. This DSP file is specified in the 'DSP filename' under Device Info in HFD. When I open Filter Design this DSP file does not appear (it is not presented when selecting 'Open' or 'Recent projects' or as an 'Import project') and no filter parameters are present. The option to "save' is also greyed out and cannot be selected (so I can't then use the clone process as described in the manual to copy this DSP file to the other FA253 amp).

I can only assume user error here and again any help would be great!

StigErik

Forum Donor
The DSP file is not stored in the FusionAmp itself, but on the computer where you did create it in the first place.

Top Bottom