• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinions on Hypex Plate (FusionAMP) Amplifiers?

wouter_mae

Just want to share my experience with Hypex FA253 amplifier DIY active speaker, which is a combination of the Ekta 2D design of Troels Gravesen (tweeter + mid) and the Visaton La Belle ( 2 x 8inch woofers) where the 2 channel FA122 of the Ekta 2D is replaced by the 3 channel FA253 Fusion amp.
Cross-over between tweeter and mid is designed by Troels Gravesen (with first order, second order and 4th order LR options, all in the range between 2-2.5kHz), and LR2 cross-over between mid and bass at 300Hz (same as original Visaton La Belle).

Below the on-axis frequency response I measured with Umik-1 and REW software. It is a combination of a gated far field measurement (same as Troels at +- 70cm distance from the speaker with microphone height between tweeter and mid) and a near field measurement of the woofers (corrected for baffle step loss), where in REW I selected the 1/6th smoothing option.

In the end - after hours and hours listening and finetuning the hypex parameters - I am now very happy with the results! ;-)

Attachments

• Image 005.png
    Image 005.png
    488.1 KB · Views: 298
  • Image 006.png
    Image 006.png
    270 KB · Views: 290
  • Image 007.png
    Image 007.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

wouter_mae

I have another request: since I now use two sources, RCA-in for watching movies from computer and S/PDIF from my music server, I need to switch between sources more frequently. Despite that the Hypex remote gives the option, I face the following problem:

I used the EQ function that is on the device panel for room EQ to my satisfaction. But when I switch between sources, the EQ function often gets disabled, sometimes this only happens on one speaker, I cannot recall whether in master or in slave. This is kind of annoying. My current solution is to use auto detect function, but I find it not as good because it always takes the first seconds of a song until the amp recognized the source.

Am I doing something wrong? And is there a way to get the EQ working, as in never being deselected, when I use multiple sources?
Same experience here, for some reason, EQ function apparently gets disabled once in a while, and I need to re-activate by connecting the amp with my laptop with the HFD software. I asked Hypex for some help, I will keep you posted.

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The issue was already fixed in the latest firmware update from last August, but I had not consulted their website before posting.

Just update the firmware of your plate amp and the issue is gone.

Kelims

Hello, I would like to return to the topic of volume control.... It assumes that the Hypex modules themselves only have 64 bit volume control software (correct me if I'm wrong). I know there is a Hypex remote. The problem arises that you have to be in the same room to control the amplification. If using an RPI like Streamer and https://moodeaudio.org/ (also works on 64 bit) it would be possible to control volume "everywhere". Do you think it could be solved this way without losing sound quality? Will Moode find the dac itself in Hypex and control the volume or will it already send the modified signal to Hypex? Excuse my language.

Gremlins

What sound quality do you believe to loose? Do you think your ear will make a difference ... of 0.00000001 %

Kelims

What sound quality do you believe to loose? Do you think your ear will make a difference ... of 0.00000001 %
I asked specific questions that I would like to know the answer to (if they are understandable) Since you are on a site that deals with measuring instruments I would like to know how the amplification itself works. My primary concern is whether the Moode is able to detect the Hypex and control its amplification.

Gremlins

Ha yeah..moode .. an "audiophile" music playback ....

It will work perfectly

Gremlins

"The problem arises that you have to be in the same room to control the amplification"

It arise that you also need to be in the same room to listen to music .. so what is the problem with remote control?

MKW

MoOde will not 'detect' Hypex plate amp because Hypex plate amp is a device that receives a (music) signal adjusts (by DSP) and amplifies (Ncore class D). MoOde will control the computer (RPi) output level, change songs, etc. (whatever is possible with MoOde). The Hypex plate amp(s) will receive that signal, process and amplify it.
I think your qustion is , can the volume of Hypex plate amps be controlled by variable signal level to it's inputs. The answer is YES. Examples:
- Bluesound Node or NAD M12 SPDIF coax output direct to coax input of Hypex FA-series - use Bluesound Node volume control to adjust loudness from anywhere by using the BluOS app (PC, tablet, phone, Alex voice control).
- NAD C388, unbalanced RCA out to RCA input of FA-series results in same volume control capability.
- NAD C658, balanced XLR out to XLR input of FA-series results in same volume control capability.

MoOde probably works very similar to BluOs app (same as all the other similar apps).

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MoOde will not 'detect' Hypex plate amp because Hypex plate amp is a device that receives a (music) signal adjusts (by DSP) and amplifies (Ncore class D). MoOde will control the computer (RPi) output level, change songs, etc. (whatever is possible with MoOde). The Hypex plate amp(s) will receive that signal, process and amplify it.
I think your qustion is , can the volume of Hypex plate amps be controlled by variable signal level to it's inputs. The answer is YES. Examples:
- Bluesound Node or NAD M12 SPDIF coax output direct to coax input of Hypex FA-series - use Bluesound Node volume control to adjust loudness from anywhere by using the BluOS app (PC, tablet, phone, Alex voice control).
- NAD C388, unbalanced RCA out to RCA input of FA-series results in same volume control capability.
- NAD C658, balanced XLR out to XLR input of FA-series results in same volume control capability.

MoOde probably works very similar to BluOs app (same as all the other similar apps).

x2

Assuming @Kelims wants to stick with moode all that is needed is some way of getting a digital output from the RPi. There are tons of HATs (Allo digione, lots of hifiberry options, PI2AES, etc) as well as USB options (Topping D10, lots of hifimediy options, miniDSP USBstreamer/MCHstreamer, etc) that will do it, all at very reasonable prices.

Michael

Kelims

There is no bit-perfectness (not as if it were needed) with the Fusionamps, because any input to the amps is converted to 93.75kHz/24bit format, even if we not using the DSP for different filtering tasks.
Anyway, the digital volume control (before or inside the amps) works like a charm, much better than many (or maybe any) analogue volume control.
Then there is no point in using the AES/EBU input since the sampling rate will be reduced? And do I understand correctly that the volume control itself only works at 24 bit? It says everywhere that it is best to use 64 bit to avoid degradation of sound quality

Kelims

x2

Assuming @Kelims wants to stick with moode all that is needed is some way of getting a digital output from the RPi. There are tons of HATs (Allo digione, lots of hifiberry options, PI2AES, etc) as well as USB options (Topping D10, lots of hifimediy options, miniDSP USBstreamer/MCHstreamer, etc) that will do it, all at very reasonable prices.

Michael
I would like to use https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-...terface-aes-ebu-for-raspberry-pi-p-13316.html unfortunately I haven't found much information on this.....

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Then there is no point in using the AES/EBU input since the sampling rate will be reduced? And do I understand correctly that the volume control itself only works at 24 bit? It says everywhere that it is best to use 64 bit to avoid degradation of sound quality
The DSP supports double-precision processing, so 64-bit, with an 80-bit internal accumulator. From what I can gather Hypex actually uses the double-precision mode. So you should be absolutely fine.

Kelims

Thanks for your reply. So is there any difference in the quality of the resulting sound when amplified in Moode (software volume 64bit) vs amplified in Hypex itself? Any idea how the amplification works in Bluesound Node? I know there probably won't be an audible difference in the result but I want my head to be happy......

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Thanks for your reply. So is there any difference in the quality of the resulting sound when amplified in Moode (software volume 64bit) vs amplified in Hypex itself? Any idea how the amplification works in Bluesound Node? I know there probably won't be an audible difference in the result but I want my head to be happy......
No. None. Nada. Zilch.

Didn’t I do the math for you in a different thread demonstrating that even 16bit would not be audible?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Can I have the article, please?
Just yesterday you asked the same questions in a different thread.

Post in thread 'A Raspberry Pi as a music server'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...pberry-pi-as-a-music-server.9130/post-1226658

Or did you prove to yourself by now that you can hear more than 16bit (ca 96dB DR)? If not, you can take this test.

Further details on the HiRes Myth.

Last edited:

YSDR

I tried the the own volume control of the Fusionamp and now I am using a miniDSP SHD Studio (24/96 output format) as a digital "preamp" for volume control, AES/EBU output to the FAs, and I hear no difference between the two solutions, both are superb for the task IME.

Last edited:

MKW

@Kelims, as your audio doctor I've diagnosed you with Analysis Paralysis. Foot in the water, or get away from the pool. Hypex FA-series of plate amps are loaded with so many inputs, so many built-in configuration options, so many crossover and filters, user features and Ncore sound quality - you couldn't possibly ask for more from one product. Get some or don't already.
For me, running Linkwitz LXmini + stereo pair of double 12" open baffle subs (using one FA-123 per side), they perform and sound fantastic. I liked them so much, I purchased another pair of higher-power FA-253's just to ensure the subs are getting effortless power. And yet, I have not installed them, because the subs are already abundantly powered - doesn't seem to be worth the effort to cut bigger holes for the larger plates. Figure, I'll use them for another DIY open-baffle project in the future - maybe something like Pure Audio Project design.

behappybevegan

N00b question.
Using the fa503 as a 3-way, can you use a digital out to connect one powered sub to each speaker?
And in Hypex Filter Designer can you set up a filter to control those subs?
Basically making the fa503 a 4-way.

Top Bottom