• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinions on Focal 1000Be In-Wall Published Measurements

Myaudio

Looking forward to the review.

The Focal 1000 series inwalls are very well thought out. Turnable MT modules, additional bass modules that can be added to make the iw6 and larger LCR's in wall more full range or used as 1-4 sub modules. Also looks to be exceptional build quality.

I am considering testing out a pair.

OP
N

ngiac

Forum Donor
I am potentially in the market for these. I cannot wait to read the review.

Erin just finished reviewing a slew of high end in walls including the 1000 iwlcr6.

He also tested revel, kef, martin logan, and b&w in walls.

This was the final data point that drove my decision to move forward with kef 5160s.

Last edited:

Valentin R

E08F5346-6A84-41D2-A30E-736D083FB338.png

quattro98

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review of the in-wall speakers! It's super helpful to narrow down the choices.

It can be called whatever by Focal but It has the same style woofers and tweeters used in utopia speakers and it isn’t cheap.

Simply Stereo

Dealer
It can be called whatever by Focal but It has the same style woofers and tweeters used in utopia speakers and it isn’t cheap.
Isn't this a science forum? Wouldn't it be logical to get the names right so people aren't misinformed?

By your logic, the Sopra is a Utopia too. You don't have to get so offended that I corrected you. Everything will be ok.

Simply Stereo

Dealer
Don’t be offended a product you sell did not do too great. Everything will be OK.
If I would have been offended, I wouldn't have had him give us a shout out for being nice enough to send them to him so people like you can benefit.

Again, you don't have to be so insecure that someone tried to clarify something you said so others aren't misinformed.

Anyone here reading this thread have a problem with me clarifying that the 1000 series products are not Utopia products? Since they're at completely different price points, have completely different midranges, and so on?

I'm not insecure about it at all. I am definitely disappointed in its performance as I was getting ready to order it.

Simply Stereo

Dealer
If that's the case, what Beryllium speakers have you heard or owned that made you create your username? I'd be willing to bet those didn't measure that well either.

I have a Focal Utopia headphone and a Focal utopia 3 way setup in my car, TBM, 3WM, 8WM. I also have custom speakers built with Scanspeak Beryllium tweeters.

Simply Stereo

Dealer
Crazy! Have you ever measured your car audio system the way Erin measures his speakers or anything close? I bet you'd be disappointed too, but are you disappointed with the system? I bet if you bought these Focal in walls, you'd be thrilled with them (although psychologically, you are going to be mentally more open to finding faults now). Especially after room correction (as any surround system would be exposed to). Do you listen loud all the time? If you don't, the slight rise in the tweeter (which again, any room correction would roll off by default as they do on any speaker), would actually be beneficial for lower level listening.

You do realize that there is a possibility that you'd actually be happier with the Focal in walls than say the KEF (another brand we sell) or Perlisten (another brand we sell), right? And I'm not talking "showroom sound" that supposedly wears on you over time, I mean for the long haul, just as you are happy with your car and headphones.

Just being logical based on a comical amount of real world long term experience with thousands of systems we have set up. The mental biases works both ways, and you discounting the Focal based on these measurements wouldn't be the smartest move, given your track record of enthusiasm for Focal.

I have measured my car. I have a DSP and tuned it to a specific house curve and I love it. Hence, my name LOL. If you ever want to listen to it I can bring it by your shop since I live in the Chicago burbs. I am definitely super happy with my Focals. Both are end game for certain. You do bring up a good point though regarding listening to the in walls while tuned via DIRAC, etc. The plan was to get the on wall boxes for them.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You do realize that there is a possibility that you'd actually be happier with the Focal in walls than say the KEF (another brand we sell) or Perlisten (another brand we sell), right?
How on earth you came to that conclusion???

Simply Stereo

Dealer
How on earth you came to that conclusion???
Just to be sure -- you are definitely saying that there is no possibility that he would actually like the Focal more? Just making sure I get this correct before I respond. ZERO possibility, right? Confirm this please.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to be sure -- you are definitely saying that there is no possibility that he would actually like the Focal more? Just making sure I get this correct before I respond. ZERO possibility, right? Confirm this please.
I didn’t say that! I asked you how you came to conclusion that the Focal may be liked more than the KEF. What criteria can make one think that, is my question. Please answer it instead of twisting my words.

Top Bottom