• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinion on IMG Stage line STA-400D amplifier with Hypex modules

thebizz

Mine pop on startup. I have two and they both do it. Other than that I am really pleased with them. Plenty of output to 4 ohm speakers and no hiss at all with ear next to the tweeter. The sound quality is clean to my ears and as good as the 20kg amp it replaced. I would have paid more for a silent start though, maybe I have been unlucky and got 2 faulty ones. I think both are out of warranty now so won't be able to return them.

Last edited:

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How far away are you from the unit, and how close do you have to get until you start hearing fan noise? How hard is it to set the knobs to an exact position, and does the stereo balance seem correct when both are set the same? I've had some mixed results on pro amps there (my iNuke can't maintain balance at all), though this one sounds pretty promising!

Thanks for reporting back on it.

Don't know if you have one 2 years later but specs say fans only turn on if temps are above 85 c (185 fahrenheit)

Last edited:

gasolin75

Mine pop on startup. I have two and they both do it. Other than that I am really pleased with them. Plenty of output to 4 ohm speakers and no hiss at all with ear next to the tweeter. The sound quality is clean to my ears and as good as the 20kg amp it replaced. I would have paid more for a silent start though, maybe I have been unlucky and got 2 faulty ones. I think both are out of warranty now so won't be able to return them.
Sad to her that, my danish power amp has a little pop on noise and hum. Do you have one of the first version of the sta-400d amp ?

gasolin75

I have mine now + 6 above 12 o'clock.

Im happy to report no pop noise when turning it on, don't notice any hum and i don't hear any fan noise (the amp is not warm atm). thank you thank you

It's got alot of power for my 4 ohm 86 db sensitive speakers

The highs on a not warm amp is not super soft but it's also don't sound like sharp cheap pa speakers with a horn tweeter something inbetween but more to a pa,live sound than soft hifi, for a pa amp it's sounds more hifi than most hifi amps that sounds like a pa amp (power)

Wide soundstage,good depth, clear midrange

Bass is really good, lot's of power (watt,control, what the damping factor is i don't know),it plays cleanly op to levels most compact 4 ohm bookshelf speaker can't handle, meaning for the amp to change the sound because it reaches it's limit , i have to play very loud,mabye more than my speakers can handle.

It's got power and good soundquality you can't get in a hifi amp for the same price, somthing like one of the small pro-ject power amps seriously lack power for clean and loud music, does it sound like a class d amp mabye in the highs, is it worth buying ?

100% worth buying even for hif,since the fan(s) are super quiet at normal temps,it's surpose to only turn on when the amp is above 85c warm, thats top me very unsually and besides power and soundquality is highly recommended

Windows 10 pc, good inakustik usb cable not the ceapest), Topping D10 Balanced dac, cheap 12-14 euro cordial trs to my Behringer Xenyx 1002 mixer, cordial trs with a trs to xlr adapter, canare 4s11 to low budget argon alto 5 mk2 on isoacoustics stands

eE4dS5H.jpg

Build quality not perfect with the volumen knobs, stepless voulme

Arprlpm.jpg

gasolin75

Had to disconnect the fans to hear if the are make this weak noise that is not perfect

The fans are surpose to spin at temps above 85 c, they don't, they spin after a few sec after the amp is on

Angelface

Unfortunately, I purchased the amp STA 400D also, but I had to return due to fan noise, which for me made it unusable. It was pretty much in operation constantly and I found it very annoying and distracting!

gasolin75

for me it's not from the sound, it's from the amp, i think it's the fans

Alternative with the same amount of power, soundquality and price, i don't know

I like the good power,bass and soundquality

Angelface

I agree sound was not bad but the issues I mentioned plus a rattling sound I could hear, were not something I could tolerate. I ended up returning and purchasing something 3 x the price! Not ideal cost wise but for me I couldn’t live with issues. So an upgrade was necessary.

thebizz

I am really sorry. I have gone back and tested as I realised I have a 3 year warranty. It's one channel on one amp and they are happy for me to return to be repaired/replaced. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. They were in my home av setup as part of 11 channels of amplification and I must have made a silly wiring error when testing.
Fans are constantly on in mine but I need to have my ear a few inches away from the rear exhaust to hear it at all in a silent room.
I've just bought another two (refurb and a used one) now I know they don't pop on start up for in-ceiling speakers around the house. Both were fine doing a test this morning except the used one has one faulty fan which is audible (with nothing else on I can hear it from about 3 feet so not acceptable and needs fan replacing or just left unplugged). The other fan is silent.
I paid £175 for new ones with 3-year guarantee, £105 for refurb and £35 for used of the bay. In that context, I think they are cracking amps and not sure what the alternatives are at the price point.
However, the build quality is obviously a bit inconsistent, especially with the fans they use. The fact one of my had a faulty module causing the power on pop out of the box probably means quality control isn't the best.

gasolin75

My amp is new

Fans disconnected no noise and not getting hot

Some reported gain,volume above 3/4 (above 3 o'clock ???) there is some distortion, atm mine is 50%, 12 o'clock and no noice.

blues66

Hi, I have a question,: rolleyes: I sold my Ancron crown - DC 300 MkIII, and I got some nice money !!

therefore, I would have to buy, again, a power amplifier

I would have found a used IMG Stage line STA-152 for ... 60 Euro

but unfortunately I can not find anything about it, I think it is class A / B

according to your experience and, in your opinion, which of the 2 would you agree? and which one would sound better paired with the PRE that I have left Amcron crown SP-L2?

IMG Stage line STA 152 - 60 euros

or this New IMG Stage line STA-400D proposed here?

thanks good continuation

thanks good continuation

TRANSLATE :)
Ciao , avrei una domanda , :rolleyes: ho vendduto il mio Ancron crown - DC 300 MkIII , ed ho ricavato dei bei soldini !!
quindi , dovrei riacquistare , di nuovo un amplificatore di potenza
avrei trovato un usato IMG Stage line STA-152 a... 60 Euro
ma purtroppo non trovo nulla a riguardo , credo che sia di classe A/B
secondo la Vostra esperienza ed , opinione , quale dei 2 converrebbe ? e quale suonerebbe meglio abbinato al PRE che mi è rimasto Amcron crown SP-L2 ?
IMG Stage line STA 152 - 60 euro
oppure questo Nuovo IMG Stage line STA-400D proposto qui ?
grazie buon proseguimento

Last edited:

WinWiz

My amp is new

Fans disconnected no noise and not getting hot

Some reported gain,volume above 3/4 (above 3 o'clock ???) there is some distortion, atm mine is 50%, 12 o'clock and no noice.
I would advise you to reconnect the fans.
The top doesn't fell warm but the left side buttom is connected to the amp modules heatzink -and it get pretty hot even with the fans running.
Without fans your dual ucd250lp's will probably cock themselves.
So if you want to keep your amp alive connect the fans asap.
I actually mounted higher feet to increase heat dissipation beneath the case + replaced the two 24v stock fans with 3 12v noctua fans. Love this amp so I want to keep it healthy for as long as possible :)

Last edited:

gasolin75

Don't own the amp anymore

Razorhelm

I would advise you to reconnect the fans.
The top doesn't fell warm but the left side button is connected to the amp modules heatzink -and it get pretty hot even with the fans running.
Without fans your dual ucd250lp's will probably cock themselves.
So if you want to keep your amp alive connect the fans asap.
I actually mounted higher feet to increase heat dissipation beneath the case + replaced the two 24v stock fans with 3 12v noctua fans. Love this amp so I want to keep it healthy for as long as possible :)
Definitely dont want to cock... up your amp

Andysu

Major Contributor
Yikes! Amp output (speaker) leads untwisted, running right over/next to the output choke. :(
i don't understand but i do understand i see the component on the pcb and the wire outputs and if what you mean by "yikes" if the wires the plastic part clip was reversed it is possible just enough space between the pcb boards so the wires will be in the middle then connected to spk terminals will be less "yikes" ?

WinWiz

I twisted the speaker wires and tried to route them away from other components that I guess could cause interference. I also removed the balanced wires that I will probably never use, and made the speaker wires cross other wires at 90 degrees.
I doubt it makes any hearable difference. But I think it made the airflow less restricted.

Top Bottom