• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinion on IMG Stage line STA-400D amplifier with Hypex modules

Hello everyone. I introduce myself. It is the first time I write.
I'm Stefano from Milan, Italy. I have been following this magnificent forum for some time. I found a German manufacturer that produces a very good price amplifier that uses Hypex modules. It's the only amp I've found online that uses Hypex at cheap prices.
What do you think?
Here is the link: https://www.img-stageline.com/products/pa-systems/pa-amplifiers/digital-pa-amplifiers/sta-400d/
1568825212213.png

Thanks
Regards
Stefano

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Welcome to the forum.
SMPS400A400 and a pair of UCD250LP amps, and some untidy wiring that doesn't inspire confidence. At least the grounding looks safe. Given the heatsink and fans it looks like they've paid attention to cooling, but they might be noisy. The uCD amps don't perform as well as the newer nCore ones, and it's hard to know how well they've done with the buffers. Best case it'll measure as in the Hypex datasheets. Worst case their buffer boards and wiring will have made it somewhat worse.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bruno Putzeys (who designed the amp modules) emphasized the need to twist the speaker output leads. Seems these guys haven't gotten that message...

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very nice finding @Stefano_Milano!
At 300€ this is probably a very good value, and the UcD250LP is a very nice module.
IIRC these later OEM UcD offerings have improvements leveraging some of the new tech from the ncore range.

I'd be curious to see this amp measured, to see if the additional buffer gives justice to the modules...

Last edited:
OP
S
Thanks for the answers. In fact, I am tempted to buy it. In some german sites is available for 250 euros.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's sold as a PA amp, FWIW.

Product description in English, ecommerce site is in German. I couldn't see if they ship to the USA.

XpanD

Forum Donor
Seems like there's also a higher-power model, the 800d.

Pics:
81qLF5QcGPL.jpg
81jhZSh-0gL.jpg

(grabbed from the review that was posted over here, which also contains some details on the used components!)

Looks interesting as well. Thoughts?

OP
S
800d model

Power amplifier based on Hypex modules
Power supply: 2 Hypex SMPS400 V14 modules
Final modules: 2 Hypex UcD400OEM V7

Rated power: 250W 8 Ω 1% THD, 400W 4 Ω 1% THD

This is a completely dual mono final, each channel has its own Hypex SMPS400 power supply (V14) in the version with ± 62V DC output voltage that powers a Hypex UcD400OEM (V7). Between the power supply and the end, two 4700 F 80V parallel capacitors are inserted in parallel.
The signal, from the balanced (XLR) or unbalanced (RCA) inputs, enters a buffer made with JRC 4558DD operationals, passes through the potentiometers, and is sent to the Hypex UcD400OEM. The amplified signal passes through a stage that implements the protections: presence of DC in output, ...) and is sent to the terminals, both normal for stripped wire or bananas, or Neutrik type.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like there's also a higher-power model, the 800d.

Pics:

Thoughts?

Yikes! Amp output (speaker) leads untwisted, running right over/next to the output choke. :(

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The UcD modules from Hypex is not their latest and greatest nCore tech, and the design and assembly is not that great too as others here have noted. But for 300 euros I cannot find anything better, so I would choose it in that price range.

UcD250LP - 250W at 4 ohms.

ucd250lp.JPG

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably my biggest complaint with going the DIY Ghent route is that their cases never have a power buttonon the front. Maybe they assume you never turn the amps off?

NC252MP is 5W standby, btw.

OP
S
I bought the amplifier in question. Connected directly with RCA cables to the DAC Topping D30. For volume I use the level knobs of the amplifier. First impressions are magnificent.
Wide sound stage, no fan noise, great dynamics, controlled bass.
I come from a class D Tripath TK2051 amplifier and this with Hypex modules is certainly superior.
At the moment I am very satisfied
:)

XpanD

Forum Donor
How far away are you from the unit, and how close do you have to get until you start hearing fan noise? How hard is it to set the knobs to an exact position, and does the stereo balance seem correct when both are set the same? I've had some mixed results on pro amps there (my iNuke can't maintain balance at all), though this one sounds pretty promising!

Thanks for reporting back on it.

OP
S
About two meters from the unit. I almost only listen to classical music. The fan is barely heard in the night if I approach it. I tested the two channels with mono recordings to understand the centering of the sound point in the middle of the speakers. It seems to me that the two channels are the same. The two knobs have so many dots next to them that it is easy to find the same position for both.

Top Bottom