• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinion on IMG Stage line STA-400D amplifier with Hypex modules

OP
S
I have a true novice question. Why this amplifier has two capacitors between the power supply and the amplification modules. I have seen that other amplifiers with Hypex modules have the power supply connected directly to the amplifier modules. At least for the Ncore.
Thanks!
S

awdelft

Right Stefano, the data sheet for this version even says NOT to increase capacitance.
Maybe the mains are 'cleaned' and used on the separate input board for the switched fan or for the preamp. I do see two to220 voltage regulators I suppose.
By the way, by bridging two pairs of pins a tl072 buffer can be used in the ucd400. Apparently this is not used because of the separate buffer.

BlackBushBaby

Bruno Putzeys (who designed the amp modules) emphasized the need to twist the speaker output leads. Seems these guys haven't gotten that message...
The twisting is very important for the Ncore modules. They seem easier prone to interference than the UCD's.However I cannot see that it hurts for UCD's either.

Last edited:

Paulkouhan

Hi,

I tried to compare the THD vs. Power curves on page 1. (UcD250LP VS NC252MP)
It appears that the UcD250LP THD is better (far better ?) up to 4W !

hypex_comp.jpg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I tried to compare the THD vs. Power curves on page 1. (UcD250LP VS NC252MP)
It appears that the UcD250LP THD is better (far better ?) up to 4W !

View attachment 80907
Indeed, but the UcD250LP module itself has only 13.3 dB of voltage gain, so in order to compare to the 25.5 dB gain level of the NC252MP, a buffer must be used, and the added gain will result in higher noise floor too.

Dan1210

Really interested in this amplifier, currently im using a Rotel 1565 and a couple of Behringer A800’s. Would this be an improvement over the Behringer and would the stageline run any cooler than the others?
Cheers!

outlookrt

Thought I'd revive this. Looking at these hypex based Stageline PA amps (or 2) to pair with a MiniDSP SHD, They seem like good value even versus DIY (once you factor in modules, enclosure, and connection parts). the 400D is available for around £230 and the 800D for just over 300. Wondering if they could be worth the purchase and easily modified afterwards to tidy up/twist cabling etc? Maybe the fans could be disconnected?

Dan1210

Thought I'd revive this. Looking at these hypex based Stageline PA amps (or 2) to pair with a MiniDSP SHD, They seem like good value even versus DIY (once you factor in modules, enclosure, and connection parts). the 400D is available for around £230 and the 800D for just over 300. Wondering if they could be worth the purchase and easily modified afterwards to tidy up/twist cabling etc? Maybe the fans could be disconnected?
Did you buy one of these?

outlookrt

Not yet. Having to hold off on any purchases for a bit. But still curious about these amps.

Dan1210

@Stefano_Milano do you get a high pitch noise at all from these amps through your speakers? I bought a Jbl 7200 recently that uses 7x ucd 400 and i get a really high pitch noise when it’s connected to my speakers. Going to return it and try the 800d i think.

OP
S
@Stefano_Milano do you get a high pitch noise at all from these amps through your speakers? I bought a Jbl 7200 recently that uses 7x ucd 400 and i get a really high pitch noise when it’s connected to my speakers. Going to return it and try the 800d i think.

No. No high pitch noise. If you turn the volume knobs to the maximum, you hear a slight buzz on the tweeters. But just keep them a little lower and use the volume from the dac to get no micro buzz

Gislon

I've also got the Stageline 400D. Bought a Niles Si 2150 at the same time by accident (long story). Both use the same Hypex modules but I think have different power supplies. The Niles is a much higher list price, but similar price used or refurb. Currently auditioning them side by side - non scientific but volume matched as best I can by ear. Fed by Denon x3700 into Linn 109s.

After 24hrs run in for each, so far I actually slightly prefer the Stageline. It has more presence overall, with greater depth. The Niles arguably has a sweeter/softer treble, but I like the extra attack of the Stageline.

The Niles has no fans, but runs warm and needs air flow above it. The fans in the Stageline make it easier to hide, and are very quiet. The Niles has audio sensing standy mode which is helpful, but at the moment I'm minded to keep the Stageline.

Nightyard

I've got 6 Behringer A800, but now I'm wondering if the STA 800D might have been a better choice.

thebizz

I have a 400d which is good except that it has a power on pop through the speakers. Not affected by the gain control.
Do others find the same issue or do I have a bad one?

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Bought one from amazon.de and i read someone said it has pop noise when you turn it on, can someone confirm if it has it or not ?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Hypex provide everything needed for pop free startup as can be seen in the datasheets for the smps and amp modules. It works as advertised with UcD180s for my LXminis - if I stick my ear right next to the drivers at amp power on I can heart a faint noise - but perhaps if you've got particularly sensitive speakers it'll be audible from a more normal distance? If it's a more significant pop then I'd say either IMG messed up their implementation or the amp is faulty.

Top Bottom