• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

opinion of Marantz MM7055 used as pre amp out for 5-channel home theater

Terry Stahly

it is for a hi rise condo so I cannot crank it but can play at pretty decent levels. I have been using Pioneer Elite VS-53 by itself but added some Revel F206 left and right and their excellent C 208 center and want some more weight or wallop to the vocals and center stage hence the 8" drivers in the C 208. Will this amp be a decent upgrade in sound over the non Class AB Elite receiver? On paper is should I would think I only paid $850 brand new so if it isn't enough I can move it down the road with a minor loss if any.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well too many unknowns. Does the Pioneer really meet spec? It claims 110 watt for 7 channels. Does the Marantz which claims 140 watts? Your Revel's are pretty easy to drive as speakers go.

Here are some measures of the Marantz which didn't look to have all that much power if more than one channel is used. It is probably fine for you, but maybe not much better than the AVR you have.

https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...ocessor-and-mm7055-amplifier-ht-labs-measures

I would probably get a good stereo amp for the L and R speakers. This also lessens the load for the Pioneer to supply only the center and surround channels. The surround channels won't use much power and most of its ability will be left for the center channel.

Last edited:
OP
T

Terry Stahly

Well too many unknowns. Does the Pioneer really meet spec? It claims 110 watt for 7 channels. Does the Marantz which claims 140 watts? Your Revel's are pretty easy to drive as speakers go.

Here are some measures of the Marantz which didn't look to have all that much power if more than one channel is used. It is probably fine for you, but maybe not much better than the AVR you have.

I'd probably look for some other amps.
I doubt that the Pioneer's 110 rated watts has the cajones as the Marantz being class AB and trust their 140 watts is more accurate and with more authority than the Pioneer. We shall see I use a Krell 700cx and 450 mcx center for my home theater in my home. Not expecting or wanting that but better than I have now. The speaker upgrade over some old Bowers 701's and similar center will already make a pretty nice upgrade. If they don't I will move a Krell 5-channel S-1500 I have down there that I have sitting or even a Krell Showcase out of another system and upgrade it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have a Krell S-1500 sitting unused, why would you not try it first? I think your speaker upgrade by itself will be a substantial improvement for you.

OP
T

Terry Stahly

I want to use it in my 2nd system in my home and move the existing Krell Showcase to my work out room system. I really do not need that kind of slam for a condo even though I can watch movies at a pretty decent level I live in a very high end building and want to be half way decent. Fortunately the bedrooms are not above of below my family room and I live not the end and sound cannot bother the one unit on the other side of me so I am lucky in that respect. I went with the mini towers to have some decent base but don't think I want to add a sub. Although I have heard from some that a sub is not that bothersome in a hi rise. It wasn't bad before with my new speakers and more power it should be pretty decent.

Top Bottom