• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinion/Help: Topping DX3pro+ // Topping P50 // Wiim mini // Hifiman Edition XS

hoffel

Hi everyone! This is such a great forum that I come to you guys for your opinions or direction: I am confused by all the audio measurements, chains, combinations... After some research I bought the above combination of streamer and dac/amp for my headphone system – a Wiim mini feeds a Topping DX3pro+ over Toslink, both powered by a Topping P50 linear PSU (that I was given for very little money). I listen to the music mainly through a Hifiman Edition XS but also through a Sennheiser HD560s that I had before the HM.

So now my question, since I do not have much to compare that system with: What do you guys make of this chain of components? It sounds nice to my ears (very clear yet powerful, comfortable to use/wear) but as I said, I have very little to compare it with...

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

charleski

Major Contributor
The Audiophile industry is fundamentally founded on FOMO. It's simply impossible for ordinary consumers to compare all the different components for themselves, so pundits can easily create the subtle sense of unease that pervades audio reviews. This system is good, but ... is it the best? The system I have right now sounds fine to me, but ... am I missing out?

My experience is that this is all nonsense. The range of psychological variation in perceptual qualities simply swamps any minuscule difference caused by equipment, as long as that equipment's measurements pass muster (and the system you list has no problems with regard to that). Some days my system sounds great, on others the exact same system might sound slightly off: this has nothing to do with the system and everything to do with my mood.

The system you have sounds good to you, so I wouldn't worry about it.

The only thing I'd consider is finding some way to add digital EQ to the chain. The XS has a pretty good response curve, but it might be worth tweaking it a bit. But then we get into the thorny topic of deciding on your own personal optimal response curve, which can take a lot of time and experimentation, and can make things worse if you do it wrong.

OP
H

hoffel

Thanks for your response, @charleski ! Greatly appreciated... I know there is no way to find the best system there is for me – particularly not for someone that isn't, well, me :) I just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing something or if you guys had any pointers as to what I could try out.

Like you did with EQ. Which of course does add a lot of variables and hence complexity so I'm not quite sure I want to go down that route. Maybe just listen to music instead :D At any rate, the Wiim mini is supposed to be updated with a 10-band EQ in the near future, so I might give that a whirl.

mediocrebutarrogant

I think you have a TOTL transparent system , enjoy it while it lasts , its objectively perfect, only a pair of IEMs, and you're all set

Top Bottom