• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinion: frequency range analysis

mk05

Forum Donor
What do you guys think? If at all accurate, it would allow me to find speakers (or EQ) catering to my preferences. Personally, I did not know that ~12kHz+ was attributed to "air." I always thought the "air" quality was that record-like, slightly fuzzy, breathy type of sound that felt very live-like and rich - as if sound were being effortlessly being pushed out the speakers. Seems like I don't know what "air" sounds like at all!

1590151549012.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That's why I wrote 'air' between quotes ;)

To understand what I meant you could read THIS which kind of explains it.

You don't have to agree with it either and can make up your own vocabulary.
The plot above merely shows what peaks and dips sound like (on their own). The higher/lower the more pronounced/audible the 'effect'.
It becomes increasingly more difficult to detect when there are several peaks/dips that all add to the sound colour.
The plot provides an indication of the frequency bands.

OP
M

mk05

Forum Donor
To understand what I meant you could read THIS which kind of explains it.
So that's where it came from! Very neat, I will take a look in the afternoon. I am considering commissioning speakers from DIY community, so all this is very fascinating and informative.

Top Bottom