• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Open vs Closed Headphones and Headphones vs IEMs

luft262

Does anyone know if there is any science out there addressing open vs closed back headphones and which is better? All I can find is that closed backed headphones are better at keeping out exterior noise and extenuating bass, but might cause more reflections/distortions. Also, most of the information out there seems to say headphones are superior to IEMs, but wouldn't IEMs provide more consistent sound signature due to eliminating the effects of different ear types on the sound?

Thanks for your input.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know if there is any science out there addressing open vs closed back headphones and which is better? All I can find is that closed backed headphones are better at keeping out exterior noise and extenuating bass, but might cause more reflections/distortions. Also, most of the information out there seems to say headphones are superior to IEMs, but wouldn't IEMs provide more consistent sound signature due to eliminating the effects of different ear types on the sound?

Thanks f

Science? That would be great! I wish the tests I see would address this: in my experience, about 99% of closed back headphones THAT FIT AROUND YOUR EAR, as opposed to sitting on top of the pinna or are IEMs have distinct “cupped hands” midrange colorations that make voices have a “haw-haw” sound. It’s terrible and it’s pervasive. Even a lot of (cheap) IEMs have the problem. A few noise-cancelling headphones like Bose and Sony and probably some other headphones, including non-noise canceling ones that I’m unfamiliar with manage to keep it under control. I’m guessing that some of the best-testing sets are probably okay.

I have personally settled on 4 units that are reasonably priced that I use for specific requirements:

1. Etymōtic Research ER4XR in-ear monitors (IEMs)

2. Hifiman HE400i 2020 Edition over-the-ear, open-back planar headphones

3. Plantronics “sit-on-the-pinna” stereo headphones, a pair that are now discontinued but which have newer replacements that I can’t vouch for

4. Sony WH-1000XM4 noise-cancelling closed back headphones with EQ available in the Sony Connect app

The least-colored/most-accurate to my ear are the Etymōtics, but they require a very tight fit to work as designed and that‘s challenging for an hour or more of use. There‘s no notable midrange coloration.

My Hifimans are too bright-sounding around 6500-10000 Hz or so, but they’re clean enough, develop decent bass for me and are very lightweight and comfortable. And there are worse places to have a peak than what’s here: a peak centered on about 7500 Hz you gives you some added vocal consonant clarity, more sibilance and added liquidity to highs, and the latter can mask distortion components that show up at frequencies above that, so it can be euphonic in character if not taken too far. So they’re colored alright, but they sound nice and with very little cupped hands coloration. If you listen to a lot of pop/rock music, you’ll know that the vast majority of tracks have distorted vocal tracks and this curve can help ease some of the pain while leaving some air intact.

Like the Hifimans, the Plantronics have no isolation to speak of but are very neutral, they’re clean and they deliver adequate bass and seemingly enough deep bass to best the Hifimans. Plantronics are obscure “sleepers” made for telecom use, but some of their on-the-pinna stereo models actually sound superb.

The Sonys have world-class noise-cancellation and can be EQed through the Sony Connect app with a few presets and a very rudimentary graphic EQ, but I’m very happy with them once EQed to compensate for their default 2kHz suck out. They have Bluetooth connectivity, but you can plug them in, too. Amir hated the way they sound with noise cancellation turned off, but seems to like them with it turned on, which is the only way I’ll ever use them, anyway. They aren’t the last word in transparency (there are active electronics in there) but they’re very serviceable.

Note that good performance at high listening levels is of no concern to me at all. I hate listening to anything really loud.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I think it's mostly personal preference...

I'm not much of a headphone guy but when I do listen to them my preference is generally for open headphones. I think it's mostly psychological, being able to hear what's going-on around me (even when home alone).

in my experience, about 99% of closed back headphones THAT FIT AROUND YOUR EAR, as opposed to sitting on top of the pinna have distinct “cupped hands” midrange colorations that make voices have a “haw-haw” sound.
:D :D Several years ago I was doing a few DJ gigs so I bought a pair of Sennheiser HS280's (closed). Then every time I'd listen to them I was expecting that "closed resonance" sound, but I didn't get that and I was surprised at how good they sound! Now, I've finally realized that they sound OK. Then recently I bought a pair of AKG K371's because they were getting good ratings for a bargain price and they don't have that resonance sound either.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think it's mostly personal preference...

I'm not much of a headphone guy but when I do listen to them my preference is generally for open headphones. I think it's mostly psychological, being able to hear what's going-on around me (even when home alone).

:D :D Several years ago I was doing a few DJ gigs so I bought a pair of Sennheiser HS280's (closed). Then every time I'd listen to them I was expecting that "closed resonance" sound, but I didn't get that and I was surprised at how good they sound! Now, I've finally realized that they sound OK. Then recently I bought a pair of AKG K371's because they were getting good ratings for a bargain price and they don't have that resonance sound either.
I don’t understand why reviewers don’t notice this problem right away and just dismiss a product that has it. It has a big time-domain component to it and you can’t just EQ it away adequately. It’s like like trying to fix room resonances with EQ. It’ll never work. It’s a problem that has to be corrected at its source: the natural resonances in the body of the headphones.

Top Bottom