• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Open Box vs Brand New

gallionetech

Hey all,

I see there is a pretty large price difference between open box vs brand new headphones on sites like Headphones.com and HeadAmp.com for them.
Has anyone had any bad experiences with open box with any of these sites?

Thanks in advance!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do they have a decent return policy? I bought a demo amplifier, but I trust that dealer and they offer free return.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d say based on their reputation, headphones.com would be a better outlet to purchase open box from but it’s a matter of risk vs reward.

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Do they have a decent return policy? I bought a demo amplifier, but I trust that dealer and they offer free return.
It seems like the policy with open box is that its final sale. This is atleast the case for headphones.com. Headamp.com offers returns on open box but is a bit more expensive.

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Specifically looking at the DCA Stealth's on Headphones.com Open box is $3199 vs $3999

markanini

Major Contributor
It seems like the policy with open box is that its final sale. This is atleast the case for headphones.com. Headamp.com offers returns on open box but is a bit more expensive.
I've found by asking I can sometimes purchase on different terms and/or prices than advertised. I don't know about headphones.com but worth a shot.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Even with their final sale policy, you still have some ability to return them if they are legitimately defective. I think they have the final sale policy to keep their used/open box headphones at 1 prior user.

jae

Major Contributor
Since they have a 365 day return policy, wouldn't it make more sense to buy it brand new, have up to a year to try it, and then return it for an open boxed one if it pops up and you like it? Also with DCA headphones this open box discount does not seem as worth it compared to other brands, because of Club DCA. Upon purchase from DCA directly or an authorized retailer, it allows you 15% off any future DCA headphones after a few weeks. So with this you can get both a $4000 and $500 DCA headphone for $3900, and then you have the option or selling for returning the $500 one later so the net result is that get a brand new product for much closer to the open-box discounted price. In that case you're paying about ~$200 extra to get it both brand new and get the 1-year buyer's remorse return period, rather than taking a risk and getting open boxed.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Also with DCA headphones this open box discount does not seem as worth it compared to other brands, because of Club DCA. Upon purchase from DCA directly or an authorized retailer, it allows you 15% off any future DCA headphones after a few weeks.
I overlooked this, and I agree that it should change your financial calculus. I see that you already own a DCA Expanse, so you can already get a Club DCA discount.

jae

Major Contributor
Yep, if he just bought Expanse best option would just be to wait a few weeks to get Club DCA, buy a Stealth from Headphones.com as well, and mark both dates in the calendar.

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

I overlooked this, and I agree that it should change your financial calculus. I see that you already own a DCA Expanse, so you can already get a Club DCA discount.
Ahh nice i didn't see this! 15% off would be $600 from the brand new $3999 price which I feel like compared to $3199 open box non returnable it's worth just getting them brand new at that point. Signing up now. Thanks!!

Last edited:

radix

Major Contributor
I'm glad you got the headphone figured out. I'd like to talk about OB vs new more generally. It seems, to me, that some retailers seem to always have OB and when I've bought them it's clear that it was barely ever opened and likely never taken out of the box. I think they said "used for training" or something like that. Anyway, it seems like a gimmick to be able to sell units below MSRP.

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

I'm glad you got the headphone figured out. I'd like to talk about OB vs new more generally. It seems, to me, that some retailers seem to always have OB and when I've bought them it's clear that it was barely ever opened and likely never taken out of the box. I think they said "used for training" or something like that. Anyway, it seems like a gimmick to be able to sell units below MSRP.
I think it depends, for example I returned my Abyss Diana TCs to HeadAmp which I'd definitely consider used. I took good care of them, but they were used for atleast 40-60 hours. They marked these as Open Box on their website: https://www.headamp.com/products/abyss-diana-tc?variant=42862693875929

jae

Major Contributor
I feel a majority of open box are simply customer returns. Unless the headphone was seriously abused, dropped, scratched up etc., even something used for many weeks or months can pass off as 'like new' with a bit of a cleanup if the packaging isn't damaged or majorly tampered with. I think the most common damage would be a customer returning it with dirty or stained earpads, that's a $10 replacement for most retailers and it can go back on sale, maybe even as 'brand new' if the customer was none the wiser. I've spent a lot of time listening to headphones at a local shop and got quite chummy with the owners and staff, and I've often seen them receive shipments from the manufacturer and many of the expensive/boutique headphones don't even come shrink-wrapped or have any sort of seal of them. On many occasions seen the shop owner open a new batch of headphones and plug them in to test everything is working before repackaging it and shipping it out or putting it in inventory.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Look on the bright side: open box components might even be already broken in!

;):cool::facepalm:

(I'll show myself out -- thanks)

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look on the bright side: open box components might even be already broken in!

;):cool::facepalm:

(I'll show myself out -- thanks)
hahahah.. sir you have just opened the door for shenanigans.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Also with DCA headphones this open box discount does not seem as worth it compared to other brands, because of Club DCA.
I asked DCA's support if customer-returned headphones are eligible for Club DCA, and they answered no, it has to be a new item. This should be considered by potential buyers.

Top Bottom