• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Open-back recommendations at $350 or less

pk500

Hi all:

Like George and Louise Jefferson (sorry for 1970s TV reference), I'm movin' on up when it comes to open-back headphones. I have owned Philips SHP9500's, but I want to move into upper low-end or low mid-range open-back, wired cans.

Here are my music preferences. I like indie rock, classic rock, alt-country, Americana, progressive house EDM and a touch of classic jazz.

Here is my preferred sound signature: Adequate bass. Detailed mids and treble, but I cannot stand harsh or sibilant treble. I have pretty serious tinnitus, so I'm REALLY sensitive to sharp or grainy treble. So, I guess my preferred sound signature can be described as fairly neutral, detailed warmth, if that's not an oxymoron?

I don't have an amp but am planning to buy one. These will be driven wired from laptops and an iPhone playing Spotify at 320 kbps and eventually its hi-fi service -- no DAP here.

My budget is $350 or less. I'm open to planar or dynamic. A bit curious about planar, as I've never owned any.

So, what are good choices within those parameters? Thanks!

Robin L

Master Contributor
The Drop 6XX have an unusually smooth top. Need EQ for adequate bass. $220. A little power hungry.

Craig Cushing

I own Philips SHP9500s, AKG 702s, Sennheiser HD 650s, and Audio Technica R70xs. For me the ATs are the best of the four without equalization. I continue to be surprised how little love they get. Crinacle's
headphone reviews are startling for the ATs which appear sandwiched among phones ranked in the four figure price range; Their $350 price appears like a misprint, but it's not. I suspect you'd like them very much with any genre of music you choose to play. Along with the exceptional sound is exceptional comfort; even after six hours they remain feather-light and cool. The only problem I have is the price, which doesn't appear to be discounted anywhere.

Juanrdp

In mi humble opinion, my order of preference would be:
1st - Monolith m1060 (planar, slightly over 200€)
2nd - Hifiman HE400se (planar, close to 150€)
3rd - Akg 712pro (close to 200€) or Akg 702 (close to 150€)

The Akg are the most portable and comfortable (due the weight mainly), Monolith and Hifiman are both planar (a plus is you like the particular sound signature)

Top Bottom