• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Open back recommendation

JeanP

Hello,
First, I apologize if I'm not posting in the right place, I'm new here (and to this audio world) as can attest my freshly created account.

I'm looking for my first decent headphones, mainly for my PC. Open back because it seems to be the best if there's no need for complete isolation. I'd like to get a solid all rounder, because I'll use it for everything : mainly games and music, a bit of movies/youtube/videos. I want something comfortable and durable, I don't see the point to have a great sound if I can't wear it for more than an hour. :)

My motherboard is a MSI tomahawk b450max with the audio chipset Realtek® ALC892.
My budget is between 100-200€ but can be extended if it's worth it. I'm from France which will remove some options as a lot of good stuff is on US stores from what I've seen.
I've been researching for the past few days and I'm getting overwhelm. Here are the models that seems to fit the most :
- HD599 (~140€)
- DT880/990 (~150-160€ for the 250/600Ohms)
- K712 (~200ish€)
From what I've read, I tend to think the K712 and HD599 would fit the bill the most, with the K712 being overall better headphones.
The big advantage of the HD599 is it's cheaper, and I can plug it directly on my motherboard audio without an amp. Also they are apparently one of the most comfortable headphones.
The K712 apparently needs an amp, and maybe a DAC too ? I wonder if it's okay to just buy an AMP and use my motherboard's audio chipset as the DAC ?
I'm open to any other suggestions, I might have missed some great headphones.

Keep in mind I don't mind spending a bit more now for something that will last years, for example if I need to buy a DAC/AMP, I don't want to buy cheap stuff that won't be enough to power future upgrades (like 600Ohm headphones maybe?) may they happen. Then again I don't even know if it's possible to buy only one DAC/AMP that works well for "every" headphones out there. I also don't know which is better between an internal soundcard, usb soundcard, separated or combined DAC/AMP. Well I've heard internal soundcard aren't that good because of EMIs.

I can wait for a sale to get better value, if some of these things are usually on sales, I'm not really in a rush.

Thanks for your help, sorry for this long post and if those questions seem stupid or obvious. :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've not tried them but yes, the HD599 should be easiest to drive directly from the PC. Well reviewed, longstanding design. I have the AKG 701 and they defintely need a bit of power to sing. Not quite the same as the 712 but close enough.

Get the Sennheisers as your first set.

lopchu

I paid 200€ for a used HD 650. It would need an amp though. On the plus side, you're probably settled if you like the HD 650 sound.

You could also get the HD 58X, which are much easier to drive but similar to the 650. They are 150$ plus shipping and tax. BTW, I don't know how these compare to the HD599.

Sennheiser also has an outlet in France:

https://fr-fr.sennheiser-outlet.com/

The 599 cost 79€ at the moment. Haven't ordered there but heard that the headphones look like new. Anyway you can also return them and have the same warranty.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD599 > DT990/32 is like the HD599 except it is sharper in the treble > K712 (as mentioned requires a bit more power)

DT880/32 is much 'flatter' than all of the above and les 'fun'

The DT880/990 250 Ohm versions are about 10dB less sensitive than the 32 Ohm versions.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
I was about to shill Linkwitz 521, but then I read headphone...GL

sfdoddsy

For your budget, you could probably get the Massdrop Sennheiser HD58x shipped to you.

OP
J

JeanP

The problem with ordering from drop is I can't send them back if anything is wrong, that's a shot in the dark. No warranty either. I might be wrong thinking that way I don't know. Also what about the comfort of the hd58x ? I've heard mixed feelings about that point.

Sennheiser also has an outlet in France:

https://fr-fr.sennheiser-outlet.com/
I didn't even know this existed, it seems to be a pretty good deal, especially with the 2 years warranty, thanks ! Any idea why the hd598sr is a bit more expensive than the hd599 btw ? I thought they were the same with the hd599 being more recent.

HD599 > DT990/32 is like the HD599 except it is sharper in the treble > K712 (as mentioned requires a bit more power.
I'm not sure to understand, do you mean the k712 is the worse of those 3 ?

Overall I'm a bit surprised the k712 doesn't get much engagement, I thought it was a league ahead the other ones, but maybe the price difference doesn't justify the step up, I don't know ?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any idea why the hd598sr is a bit more expensive than the hd599 btw ? I thought they were the same with the hd599 being more recent.
The HD 598SR comes with 2 cables. One cable is the 3m 6.3mm plug cable and the other is a 1.2m 3.5mm plug cable which also features an in-line remote and microphone for your cel tel. I have the HD598 SR and can easily state it's comfort level is superb. Very lightweight and cozy feeling when wearing them. The sound quality is great. I use them on my ASUS motherboard and they work great that way. I could use a little more power output but I am at very loud levels anyway and more is just deafening.
s-l640.jpg

Last edited:

Koloth

Personally I wouldnt recommend an open back. Puts quite the burden on your family and doesnt seem too pleasurable at all.

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Hello,
First, I apologize if I'm not posting in the right place, I'm new here (and to this audio world) as can attest my freshly created account.

I'm looking for my first decent headphones, mainly for my PC. Open back because it seems to be the best if there's no need for complete isolation. I'd like to get a solid all rounder, because I'll use it for everything : mainly games and music, a bit of movies/youtube/videos. I want something comfortable and durable, I don't see the point to have a great sound if I can't wear it for more than an hour. :)

My motherboard is a MSI tomahawk b450max with the audio chipset Realtek® ALC892.
My budget is between 100-200€ but can be extended if it's worth it. I'm from France which will remove some options as a lot of good stuff is on US stores from what I've seen.
I've been researching for the past few days and I'm getting overwhelm. Here are the models that seems to fit the most :
- HD599 (~140€)
- DT880/990 (~150-160€ for the 250/600Ohms)
- K712 (~200ish€)
From what I've read, I tend to think the K712 and HD599 would fit the bill the most, with the K712 being overall better headphones.
The big advantage of the HD599 is it's cheaper, and I can plug it directly on my motherboard audio without an amp. Also they are apparently one of the most comfortable headphones.
The K712 apparently needs an amp, and maybe a DAC too ? I wonder if it's okay to just buy an AMP and use my motherboard's audio chipset as the DAC ?
I'm open to any other suggestions, I might have missed some great headphones.

Keep in mind I don't mind spending a bit more now for something that will last years, for example if I need to buy a DAC/AMP, I don't want to buy cheap stuff that won't be enough to power future upgrades (like 600Ohm headphones maybe?) may they happen. Then again I don't even know if it's possible to buy only one DAC/AMP that works well for "every" headphones out there. I also don't know which is better between an internal soundcard, usb soundcard, separated or combined DAC/AMP. Well I've heard internal soundcard aren't that good because of EMIs.

I can wait for a sale to get better value, if some of these things are usually on sales, I'm not really in a rush.

Thanks for your help, sorry for this long post and if those questions seem stupid or obvious. :)

AKG K712 Pro's!!!!

For sure the best 3D sound that i heard in a headphone for years and yes its better then the K7XX i owned that too.

Out of all 3 of those the K712 Pro's will have the superior sound stage right now for 330$

Grab a Atom AMP for $100 and boom don't waste no more $$$ in this hobby for years to come!

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Want to note that i tried the DT 880's and the sound stage doesn't hold a candle to the 712's and the treble is to much to my ears and lots of others around the web

Can't comment on the Sennheisers but besides the 800HD i really never hear anything great from a sound stage point of view.

Atom Amp is a sweet amp too that would pair nice with it and your onboard DAC is pretty much at the "good enough" level though it would be better to get a DAC i'd wait for that, MAGI 3 or D10-D30-E30 from topping are all great choices.

kkeretic

I am using both HD599 and K712 and like HD599 much more. They sound better to my ears from the day one. K712 are just too dark sounding, muddy, as if there is a cloth over the speaker when I compare them with HD599. I was trying to tune the sound with parametric equalizers and eventually fixed them by boosting a frequency of 4.2KHz to +3/+4dB. But as I wrote, HD599 sound just perfect from the day one without equalizers. And the soundstage width of HD599 is just amazing. Both are comfortable to wear and well made. I would go for HD599 any time. Purchased them for 99€ last black friday from Amazon. Amazing sound quality for the price.

Edit: changed the HP amp and DAC and now K712 = Heaven on the Earth. Seriously, these headphones are marvelous to the point I am ordering another pair when still available for future use.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm not sure to understand, do you mean the k712 is the worse of those 3 ?

Overall I'm a bit surprised the k712 doesn't get much engagement, I thought it was a league ahead the other ones, but maybe the price difference doesn't justify the step up, I don't know ?

To my ears it is but there are plenty others that hear it differently. That's the downside of recommendations. Everyone has a different opinion as well as preference and another comfort 'feel'
To me the AKG's are the most uncomfortable ones as well.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I don't really understand the need for open back perse.
In the budget category and for desktop use the good old Philips SHP 9500 is a winner from open back one's with minor shortcomings (earpads aren't exchangeable nor are the cable's) & those are quite durable & comfortable. While they sound good & cost only 75$ they aren't great but then again you won't find much or better one's overlay up to 200$. My actual proposal is Creative Aurvana Live first generation and all do those are closed back they aren't bass boosted and sound rather good & better than mentioned Philips. They aren't particularly durable (they can last long if you don't drop & brake them), cable and earpads again ain't exchangeable but are a good quality. Those are rather cheap, some 67$. You can buy either from Amazon & those don't need a real serious amplifier (Aurvanu live one's you can even use them with mobile phones regarding how easy they are to drive).
Cheap Motherboard with cheap Realtek ALC892 really needs a upgrade, if it whose ALC1200 which would cost you 30$ more when you bought it I would say OK. As for your preferences upgrade recommendation goes for Creative Sound BlasterX G6, has all you need & serious enough amplifier (enough to drive up to 300 Ohm's cans), it's quality long lasting product with long lasting support. It currently costs 150$ on Amazon.
A tip; if you are not much in a hurry wait a little for amazon prime day & snatch some discounts.

PolkFan

Forum Donor
I have to add a piece here as every time i tried sennheiser's(Except the 700's and 800's) i always get a lack of treble(and a small soundstage again except for the 800's) to me and find their clamp force on their headphones to be quite rough to be honest i wear glasses and it clamps harder then even my 770's.

No one can tell you what sound you like you sadly have to witness it yourself least when it comes to speakers and headphones. Amp's and dac's we can measure all day and see if they are transparent.

Here is reason to listen for yourself
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/73lsnq
I can find so many posts about even people who think the 800HD sound bad and that is regarded as basically the best pair of cans that you can get until it gets to crazy(10+ grand)

Last edited:

Gatordaddy

Forum Donor
I would suggest buying a few from a retailer you can return the ones you don't like. The longstanding headphone lines usually have a consistent house sound, which you may or may not like.

I don't have any experience with the specific headphones you are considering, but they may all struggle to be driven by a PCs motherboard. I know my AKG K7XX and HD650s don't get loud or dynamic enough without an amp. The 599s and 598s are likely significantly easier to drive.

I'll put in a vote for the SHP9500s. Besides for a conspicuous lack of deep bass, I think they are voiced perfectly. Very easy to drive on any equipment and have a replaceable cable so installing a boom mic is easy. I own many more expensive headphones, but find these are the ones that stay on my desk.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have any experience with the specific headphones you are considering, but they may all struggle to be driven by a PCs motherboard. I know my AKG K7XX and HD650s don't get loud or dynamic enough without an amp. The 599s and 598s are likely significantly easier to drive.
I run the Sennheiser HD598 from my ASUS Z370-E motherboard with SupremeFX S1220A CODEC and it all works very well. Goes loud enough for near every music track and videos require ~50% volume setting.

Top Bottom