• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Open Back Headphone Recommendations

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have primarily been using a modified 4-screw HiFiMAN HE6 (reduced treble) for the last 6 years or so and an HE500 prior. I've been speaker obsessed the last couple of years and don't do as much headphone listening. That in combination with the fact that these headphones are getting long in the tooth has peaked my interest in trying something new tuned in accordance with the Harman target curve and with low distortion, per the latest research.

Would someone help point me in the direction of the top endgame choices that follow these principles? EQ is on the table.

Also, some bang for the buck options would be nice to consider too. I'm aware that the HD6XX and HD58X are commonly suggested as great bang for the buck options. Are they still the best budget options? Which of the two is considered better for matching the Harman target curve with low distortion? EQ is on the table. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the Harman Target curve for over-ears fits your taste, then the Phillips X2HR is an amazing budget option, I got it for $100 last year, usually is in the $150 price range nowadays (used to be more expensive). I wish I could get this sound out of a headphone with wood trim and leather pads (faux is fine); like I own the M1060’s as well and I love their look.

Sennheiser models are also good, but they lack a lot of bass by comparison. The 650 drops below target at 100Hz, the X2HR at 40Hz.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD 599 is a good open back for the money. The price has come down about $50 in recent months. Not sure of USA pricing because I am automatically routed to the Canada Sennheiser website. They are known for their great comfort.
599.png

bobbooo

Major Contributor
HifiMan HE4XX planars at $160, best value open-backs out there I'd say.

Last edited:

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I second Hifiman HE4XX are unbeatable in their price category for detail retrieval and fun engaging sound, just make sure to get a warrantee if you get them from Drop, they can be janky (Mine have a loose audio jack)

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD560s with some minor eq sounds excellent, in the same league as the HD 650, 660, the HD560s sounds even better to my ears.
A second hand HD 700 with EQ to harman curve (see oratory's measurements and results). For me my favorite Sennheiser.

Reactions: PSO

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have primarily been using a modified 4-screw HiFiMAN HE6 (reduced treble) for the last 6 years or so and an HE500 prior. I've been speaker obsessed the last couple of years and don't do as much headphone listening. That in combination with the fact that these headphones are getting long in the tooth has peaked my interest in trying something new tuned in accordance with the Harman target curve and with low distortion, per the latest research.

The HE-6 is already pretty damn good, especially the bass impact thanks to its heavy gold traces. There's not much out there which will best it in that department. You'd probably be better off just EQing them to your preferred target curve rather than buying something new.

If you're just worried about them failing and want something new, and assuming you still want good bass impact, then Audeze would probably be your best bet since the newer HiFiMans are mostly tuned to sound more like 'stats with lighter diaphragms. The LCD-2 Fazor looks good if you want to give the Harman curve a try while keeping the bass impact.

Or are you looking for something with a more open sound instead?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I've got Sennheiser HD 599, 579, Urbanite XL and the Drop 6XX's. The Drop 6XX's are easily the best. Of the four, the 6XX take to EQ the best. Using the APO EQ, you can get all the bass you'd want, and the lack of distortion in the upper octaves is notable by any standard. The Urbanite XL is thick and dark. Even with that, the frequency extremes are better than in the HD 599 and 579, no contest.

I've owned Stax earspeakers. The 6XX is comparable in sound quality, has better bass reproduction, slightly less transparent overall.

Reactions: PSO

Bob-23

Phillips X2HR
...fully agree: when eq'd to oratory1990 this is a really good alrounder, open spacious soundstage - clearly better than the one of the HD600s (which I also own), not as wide and immersive as the K702s' soundstage (which is very picky with regard to recording quality), but they are lovely to listen to. Voices a bit hissing on some recordings, I mainly listen to instrumental. Very good build quality. Note that genuin ear pads are no more available, there are aftermarket pads (which may change sound signature) - In wouldn't exclude that X3's earpads will be sold in the future (they seem to be the same as the X2 pads).

Top Bottom