• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opamp Rolling, Does It Work?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just increase the gain to 6.5X. I have some 121-122dB KZ IEMs to test it.

I guess that might let you hear some noise, but why would you use that kind of gain with an IEM anyway?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I guess that might let you hear some noise, but why would you use that kind of gain with an IEM anyway?
I wouldn't, it was just to test opamps for lowest possible noise. I've also did the same for Conductor 3X that has almost 15W, so you can call me crazy if you want.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
@AnalogSteph, feel free to try a pair of sensitive IEMs on O2 for yourself, with few opamps in gain-stage. What I stated below is what a fact of I've heard, because I personally heard the difference in background noise (tested with pot. to the max. and to 1/2).
Oh, I'm not doubting that one bit. I'm just saying it's basically an academic exercise, that's all.

You can turn the O2 gain stage into a pretty decent input voltage noise / current noise / unbalanced current noise / input bias current tester if you want, just by socketing 4 resistors per channel and having something to short the input when needed.
Also, LME49720 and LME49860 are having identical specs (besides the max. voltage rails) but inside the HPA-3B the former is having a way bigger noise than the first; unless the former is a fake (I doubt that), then probably some opamps are outside TI's specs (better or worse, depends).
Interesting - I always thought that the '860s were merely selected for higher Vcc. I am aware of some issues with high popcorn noise that are said to be resolved by now. Is this happening in the O2 as well? If not, you wouldn't happen to have a schematic of the opamp's surroundings? I see you've been inside the HPA-3B extensively.
Same happened to me with the DC-output on many direct-coupled headamps: an opamps gives me -1.5mV of DC (@25C) and another one gives me 35mV (@25C), although I'm using identical opamps and from the same lot/batch (OPA1602/1612/1652 etc.). With AD opamps things are better (AD797/8599/8672), opamps sharing similar DC values on the output.
That's interesting. In a way I'm not terribly surprised, AD's customers (including industrial, medical and military) are likely to be a bit more picky when it comes to actually sticking to datasheet specs compared to consumer electronics manufacturers.

It's still odd that some bipolar input types like OPA1602/1612 would stray this much - usually input offset voltage for bipolars is within a mV without too much effort, and these are using input bias current cancellation as well, so unless their surrounding are seriously high impedance (not an ideal match with these particular types to begin with)...?

Reactions: trl

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
wouldn't happen to have a schematic of the opamp's surroundings
Not really, sorry, but you could try spotting something here perhaps" https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/8179590.jpg.

The input DC was also measured for I/V stages as well and identical opamps gave me different results (measurements done after few minutes, when opamps where warm enough). I wasn't expecting myself differences that high, but maybe this is why so many manufacturers don't wan't to use direct coupling.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Output offset voltage is not only caused by input offset voltage and gain. The input bias current can also be the cause. Some designs like to use high value resistors where it can easily cause issues.
Personally in the all amplifiers I built using opa1656/2156 or opa2111/opa1612 all have offset under 1mV. With gain it may be a little bit higher. But have not seen any crazy numbers yet.
In I/V stage and dac output stage things can get a bit tricky. Many DAC output stage needs biasing to cancel the output offset. There are a lot of things can go wrong. But still haven't seen any number higher than 5mV.
AC coupling is a good practice. It's just a lot safer. Regardless of the amplifier having DC detection or not.

Top Bottom