• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Online blind test of 5 amps to test your ear

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know a lot of ASR members enjoy blind tests and characterizing amplifiers, especially with respect to distortion. So I thought I'd share this wonderful video.

Unless you're into the modern electronics for guitar, you probably don't know the devices being compared. In this test they are all configured to model a Bogner Extacy stack (below) using a FIR filter, presumably among other processing techniques. Even if this isn't strictly your domain of high-fidelity, stereo imaging, audiophillia and listening rooms, I'm sure some of you will enjoy the game.

Reply with your preference ranking of the 5 audio samples, adding any notes if you have any. Please do not include anything that spoils the game for others. Let people find the identification of the 5 devices is found in the Youtube comments if they want to.

1585405237843.png

OP
thefsb

thefsb

My take, from worst to best

1. Worst. Digital System 2. Ugly low end honk on muted bass strings. Mids are nice. Good presence.
  2. Bad. Digital System 4. Balance seems all wrong like blankets were thrown over the cab.
  3. Getting better. Digital System 3. Also honks but otherwise good. Pleasing mid-scoop and singing highs.
  4. Good. Digital System 1. Best dynamics of the group. Bit too much mid and too little high.
  5. Best. Digital System 5.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Fascinatingly large differences consider they're all supposed to model the same amp type. My layman take:

The only one that stuck out negatively to me was #2, which had an annoying "thumping" to it. Tone itself was nice and full though. More "metal" I'd say.
#1 sounds like good "amateur demo" level.
#3 has a somewhat nasal tone that is more "rawk" than "metal" (probably the biggest outlier). Could be useful.
#4 has a good bottom end and sounds pretty good to me, though the treble isn't too lively compared to the others.
#5 is similar to #4 overall but with a crisper top end.

I'd say all of #3 to #5 qualify as "recording-worthy" overall, depending on what you want. Treble in #4 may be fixable with some EQ. #3 is clearly a different flavor but should still have its uses.

Legion

I played guitar for a while but have no experience with modeler.

#1 The pinched harmonics feel better, I know the Fractal is expensive so let's say Fractal.
#2 Wanky, Line 6 (ancient prejudice agaisnt the brand, your fault Pod XT)
#3 Feel wrong, let's call it pixelised decay.
#4 Grunty
#5 Mixed Feeling, pinched harmonics feel odd.

Worst to best, 2-3-4-5-1.

I listened on my Elac UB5 at low level, my wife is sleeping.

Tks

Major Contributor
Blind testing electronic guitars? Feels like insanity seeing as how all of them sound distorted to me (like I mean every single electronic guitar ever). This is definitely a test I couldn't take without listening to a recording of this a million times and getting used to what it "should" sound like.. Whatever that means.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

Blind testing electronic guitars? Feels like insanity seeing as how all of them sound distorted to me (like I mean every single electronic guitar ever). This is definitely a test I couldn't take without listening to a recording of this a million times and getting used to what it "should" sound like.. Whatever that means.
I agree. That's why I asked for a preference ranking and not for anything related to fidelity or closeness to what it should sound like.

Reactions: Tks
OP
thefsb

thefsb

Fascinatingly large differences consider they're all supposed to model the same amp type. My layman take:

The only one that stuck out negatively to me was #2, which had an annoying "thumping" to it. Tone itself was nice and full though. More "metal" I'd say.
#1 sounds like good "amateur demo" level.
#3 has a somewhat nasal tone that is more "rawk" than "metal" (probably the biggest outlier). Could be useful.
#4 has a good bottom end and sounds pretty good to me, though the treble isn't too lively compared to the others.
#5 is similar to #4 overall but with a crisper top end.

I'd say all of #3 to #5 qualify as "recording-worthy" overall, depending on what you want. Treble in #4 may be fixable with some EQ. #3 is clearly a different flavor but should still have its uses.
There's a lot in common between your take and mine.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

I played guitar for a while but have no experience with modeler.

#1 The pinched harmonics feel better, I know the Fractal is expensive so let's say Fractal.
#2 Wanky, Line 6 (ancient prejudice agaisnt the brand, your fault Pod XT)
#3 Feel wrong, let's call it pixelised decay.
#4 Grunty
#5 Mixed Feeling, pinched harmonics feel odd.

Worst to best, 2-3-4-5-1.

I listened on my Elac UB5 at low level, my wife is sleeping.
I really wanted to post the identities after reading this. Nearly did.

But you can just search the comments for "Marco Fanton" looking for a comment starting with "Results".

It's really funny.

Legion

Ahah I looked for the result right after I did the test and wrote that. It is indeed funny!

maxxevv

Major Contributor
How do you actually audition amps via the same video source that has its video and audio signals truncated at recording and lossy compressed at compilation ?

Its at best a demonstration of which are the "broken" ones. Not which are the best performers.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
There are so many of these “listening tests” on YouTube. They make me think of trying to pick the best TV picture from a video that someone recorded on their GoPro and you don’t know if the pictures on the test screens have been calibrated. Which one looks best on your computer monitor *may* be the one that actually looks best in the room, but there’s no reason to have any confidence that the picture is being reproduced accurately.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

There are so many of these “listening tests” on YouTube. They make me think of trying to pick the best TV picture from a video that someone recorded on their GoPro and you don’t know if the pictures on the test screens have been calibrated. Which one looks best on your computer monitor *may* be the one that actually looks best in the room, but there’s no reason to have any confidence that the picture is being reproduced accurately.
I wonder if you might imagine this should be taken seriously.

Top Bottom