• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 96 31.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 114 37.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 10.2%

• Total voters

dlaloum

Major Contributor
My current "cop out" solution, is to use the larger (and illuminated) remote that came with the DTR 70.4 which let out its magic smoke.

Most functions are present and working, it also controls the TV, and can turn both devices on/off, bring up menus, setup etc...

The only function that seems to be missing is the setup "gear" - the "Q" button that brings up the "Quick setup" menu is present...

So full setup function will still require the original remote and/or the smartphone app, and/or config via browser - but day to day use will probably be easiest using the vintage 2013 DTR 70.4 remote.

My gut feeling is that this issue and remote is demonstrating the market positioning of these current AVR's..... Budget rather than Luxury - One would hope there would something a little more luxurious with the RZ70/90....

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Further testing - and observations...

With the AVR just idling along at a background music volume... the rear of the case is quite warm, but not "Hot"...

Status screen shows temperature as 41c to 42c, with fan on LOW ... and occasionally OFF

Ambient temperature in the room is 25c (it is summer here)

What are others finding with this generation of AVR's from any of the siblings (Onkyo, Pioneer, Integra)?

Mulling whether to purchase an AC Infinity S8/S10 Aircom cooler....

Given my last 2 AVR's both expired from heat related issues - I would rather get on top of this right now if needed!

scott_7723

I've been having similar problems with LG C1 TV and Denon X3500 and same problems continued after replacing with Onkyo TX-RZ50. It seems to me that HDMI CEC has always been a mess and I hate it with passion. Tempted to dust off the old Logitech Harmony remote and turn off CEC completely..

What you can try that worked for me, advice I found in random forums - unplug from power both the TV and the AVR, disconnect all HDMI cables, wait 5 minutes, power on both, connect the TV-AVR cable and then the other HDMI one by one. Should be forcing an HDMI connection renegotiation or something, not sure, but it works for me. At least for awhile until it's all screwed up again.
Pretty sure it is not recommended to power on the units before connecting HDMIs - that should be done with power still off.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mulling whether to purchase an AC Infinity S8/S10 Aircom cooler....
Yes, yes, and YES. We loved the one we got, kept a Denon AVR-X3600H much cooler. AVRs have so much stuff packed inside, and even not-connected channels I believe still exude some waste heat. Of course, you still need cabinet ventilation, all the fans on Earth won't help heat escape without significant openings. A friend uses a little foam wedge to prop open a cabinet door when he is playing, and removed the cabinet backing entirely.

David338

What version of Dirac Live does the RZ50 come with? Is it the full version without the Bass Management?

Thanks.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What version of Dirac Live does the RZ50 come with? Is it the full version without the Bass Management?

Thanks.
I believe so. My understanding is the RZ50 can't do DLBC since it doesn't have independent subwoofer outputs. I believe there is hope that on the upper end models will have DLBC. I believe for Onkyo that would be the RZ70/RZ90.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks.
Isn't the bass management module a separate purchase on any AVR or is it included on some AVR's?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't the bass management module a separate purchase on any AVR or is it included on some AVR's?
I'm not sure any receivers have the bass module included. StormAudio includes it on the processor side of things, but the Monoprice HTP1 doesn't. I believe it is $500 when purchased seperately. I think you can pretty much count on it being a seperate purchase.

David338

I'm not sure any receivers have the bass module included. StormAudio includes it on the processor side of things, but the Monoprice HTP1 doesn't. I believe it is $500 when purchased seperately. I think you can pretty much count on it being a seperate purchase.

But the version that comes with RZ50 does not have any other limitation besides the bass management?

Flak

Industry Insider
Dirac Bass Control is also included at no charge in these new JBL Synthesis models:

Last edited:

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
That's correct... with reference to Dirac Live, and contrary to what is usually thought, the main purpose of the different non-MLP-measurement-positions is to find how the impulse responses change with position.
The subject is discussed in this document (starting on page 4) in the section about "THE FOURIER TRANSFORM AND THE CONCEPT OF FREQUENCY":
Also relevant on page 11 is the section about "SOME REFLECTIONS ARE GOOD, SOME BAD"

One reason for Dirac Live to use multiple measurements is to be able to know what is different between them and what is the same, in other words what should be corrected and what not.
In order to do this, averaging obviously isn’t the way to go. Early reflections can also be different across multiple points and in fact they often are, and if that is the case they shouldn't be dealt with.
Consider for example a first reflection on a sidewall. It will be different as you move sideways across the room. Note that the reflection itself will be basically the same but that’s beside the point, the important part is that such an early reflection interact differently with the direct wave as you move sideways.
The direct wave itself and the first reflection itself doesn’t really change, but how they interact changes as the total distance for the reflection changes, but the direct wave does not. That is a critical part for robust correction. Implicitly then, some things, like late reflections are guaranteed to change, and are also identified this way.
And this is all about phase correction so looking at the magnitude response only isn't

No - sorry about the confusion - I was referring to the other test of the 3700 - where the pre outs were tested with the internal amplifiers on.
It clipped at 1.4V - whereas with the amplifiers off, it had plenty of headroom.

To me that would rule it out, as my power amps are pro/XLR input levels... so the signal required for Max/rated power out of the amps, is 1.4V RMS - with peaks out to around 2V or a smidge over.

Were I using my Quad 606 power amps, with signal input of 0.5V RMS for rated ouput - this would not be a concern... but with my current speakers, the Crown XLS's sound better.

In any case, this is a known weakness of the Denon design - measure here.

For the end user that uses solely external amps, - not an issue. For the user that uses solely the internal amps, also not a problem, but if you want to run a hybrid setup with external amps for the L/C/R and internal amps for surround/heights - then you need to think carefully - and potentially limit your choice of amps to ones that take an appropriately (low) signal level.

In the overall scheme of things - the 96db SINAD of the RZ50 is within the range I consider acceptable (would I like to see more/better? - sure... but we are definitely reaching past the limits of audibility in a domestic environment!) - whereas the V out being within the right range to mate with my power amps is an absolute requirement....

I have just finish a quick/rough installation of the RZ50's baby brother the Integra DRX 3.4 in my setup... the DIRAC REQ has made an immediately noticeable difference - detail in the midrange is immediately more obvious/clear, voices / dialogue are much easier to hear.

It has replaced a 2013 Integra DTR 70.4 powerhouse... which when new, cost more than double the price, weighs 30kg, has excellent amps - and the Audyssey never did a great job in either my previous home or current one.... (in both environments the AVR sounded best on its own without Audyssey engaged). - to be fair, the new "tunable" Audyssey might have resolved the issue.... or not. The new Integra looks small alongside the hulking mass of the old Receiver.... but it sounds better.

As a balancing act between affordability, and features, with more than adequate performance, I think the current Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer family are hitting the target dead center. At local pricing right now, the Denon X3700h is around 50% more expensive than the Onkyo... although there are indications that Onkyo is going to raise its prices. (Get them while their hot!?)

P.S. the X3700 was the only alternative I was seriously considering other than the Onkyo/Integra/Pioneers.... wanting to try Dirac, after my failures with Audyssey was key - but the preout voltage issue was also an important factor against it, in my case.
I was mulling this same choice over. I bought a Pioneer lx305 and thought Dirac was good but the dsp and the global crossovers were very limited so I returned it. I purchased a nice used Denon 4400 and realized I made a mistake becaue Audessy is not for me. I dislike the sound. The whole adjusting the target curve, only correcting a limited amount of frequency, and even the dynamic eq just left me flat. I noticed the impulse response thing with Dirac becaue it did not list the speaker distances but rather the response. Thank your for that explanation it makes sense now. This process with testing different room correction has taught me that my hearing is pretty accurate. I am currently very much enjoying my original Sony Avr while I wait for the RZ50. This 4400xh would be a good amp for somebody who likes dynamic eq and has small fingers to do that target curve. I am clueless as to what spending an additional 200 dollars on that Audessy app for windows would do? I am sure that the experience between Dirac and Audessy varies immensely by user and the room they have. I would really love to go listen to other people's home theater using Audyssey and hear for myself the difference. Sometimes it made me feel like I was missing something because I just couldn't get Audyssey to sound good in my room or mix the subs well.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
Dirac Bass Control is also included at no charge in these new JBL Synthesis models:
These look incredible. I couldn't find a price tag? Are they over 5k?

ivo.f.doma

Hi Flak.
I would like to ask why the Onkyo, Pioneer and Integra receivers have to adjust the sobwoofer level so hard manually after a complete Dirac correction. Is it a software bug or is everyone here on the forum doing something wrong?
Thank you for your response.

Flak

Industry Insider
Hi Flak.
I would like to ask why the Onkyo, Pioneer and Integra receivers have to adjust the sobwoofer level so hard manually after a complete Dirac correction. Is it a software bug or is everyone here on the forum doing something wrong?
Thank you for your response.
Thanks for asking but that's a question for Onkyo to answer :)

David338

Hello. Will I need to purchase a new mic to use the Dirac web version on my laptop? Which I believe it is a free software. Or that can interface with the mic that comes with the RZ50?

Thanks.

Flak

Industry Insider
@ivo.f.doma
Maybe one can try this instead?

@David338
Yes, one can use the desktop version of the Dirac Live calibration tool with the Onkyo provided mic connected to the AVR
(the mic calibration file needs to be retrieved from the AVR)

Top Bottom