• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ONKYO RZ50 vs integra drx 3.4

Grierts

I am pretty new to the Home Theatre world.

So my needs are super simple. Movies and video Games

I have the following setup:

TV: LG CX OLED

- CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER Emotiva Airmotiv C2+ $403.85

- Current AVR / RECIEVER Yamaha RX-V681 7.2 Channel $270

- LR SPEAKERS Emotiva Airmotiv B1+ $268.85

- SUBWOOFERS SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2 $1,092.50

- REAR SPEAKERS NEUMI BS5 $100

I have my TV plugged directly into my PC, I do not have cable, and I download everything (movies & TV shows)

thoughts ??

Last edited:

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just realized that the Integra DRX3.4 existed basically today.. As far as I can tell, the only advantage the RZ50 offers is 11.2 channel pre-amp processing vs the DRX3.4 having only 9.2 processing and the RZ50 is THX-Select Certified. Both have 9-channels of amplification. Had I known about the DRX3.4 prior to pre-ordering an RZ50 I probably would've gotten the Integra instead, as I only run a 7.2 setup and do not plan to upgrade to more channels.

It sounds like you're running a traditional 5.2 setup. If you don't care about 11.2 processing or THX Certification and sound modes I'd get the DRX3.4. It seems slightly more available vs the RZ50 as well.

OP
G

Grierts

I just realized that the Integra DRX3.4 existed basically today.. As far as I can tell, the only advantage the RZ50 offers is 11.2 channel pre-amp processing vs the DRX3.4 having only 9.2 processing and the RZ50 is THX-Select Certified. Both have 9-channels of amplification. Had I known about the DRX3.4 prior to pre-ordering an RZ50 I probably would've gotten the Integra instead, as I only run a 7.2 setup and do not plan to upgrade to more channels.

It sounds like you're running a traditional 5.2 setup. If you don't care about 11.2 processing or THX Certification and sound modes I'd get the DRX3.4. It seems slightly more available vs the RZ50 as well.
How do you like the rz50??

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How do you like the rz50??
Haven't received it yet.. I'm supposedly in the next fulfillment batch from AudioAdvice.com per their updates. They've been receiving 20-30 units per shipment. I placed my order in December.

OP
G

Grierts

Crutchfield has the DRX 3.4 in stock.

Ordered it Monday, shipped out Tuesday

PNWShawn

I also was wondering how these two AVRs compare. I had the Pioneer Elite VSX-LX305 for about six weeks and the sound and video were excellent but it was plagued by HDMI handshake issues. I returned it and bought a Denon X4700H, which sounds okay but video is so-so and I can’t make some of the functions and surround modes work. I looked up DRX 3.4 vs. RZ50 and found so much wrong info in various forums. Some said they are basically the same unit. So wrong! The Integra is 100 WPC and weighs 24 lbs, closer to the LX305 or NR7100. The RZ50 has 120 watts and weighs 31 lbs, closer to the DRX 5.4, or Denon X4700H, or the somewhat lighter LX505. The RZ50 is also THX certified. Both the DRX 3.4 and RZ50 come equipped with Dirac Live right out of the box, and have pre-outs. The DRX 3.4 has pre-outs for 9 channels. The RZ50 has processing and pre-outs for 11 channels, but only amplification for 9 channels. I haven’t auditioned either AVR yet, but the power and weight differences seem to be the biggest difference between them. That, and the expandability to 11 channels. Reviews I’ve seen say that Integra uses only hand selected, top quality internals that supposedly elevate it slightly above the equivalent Pioneer and Onkyo versions (LX305 & NR7100, both of which come with Dirac Live but don’t have pre-outs). I don’t know if that’s true about higher quality parts, but I do know that the RZ50 sits on a higher tier in the Onkyo/Integra lineup than the 3.4. I believe either AVR would be an excellent choice compared to literally anything else in the sub-$2k price range. The DRX 3.4’s 100 watts per channel is enough to drive all but the most power hungry tower speakers, and 9.2 channels is enough for a 5.2.4, 5.2.2 bi-amped, or 7.2.2 setup. If you plan on adding more speakers than that the 3.4 isn’t the one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom