• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo PR-RZ5100 AV Processor Review

Twelvetone

I also would be highly interested to see at least a snapshot test from the unbalanced (RCA) output(s) at <2v, enough to confirm/disprove similar performance. First, because we don't know how they are deriving their balanced outs (and god knows, mistakes have been made); second because the vast majority of consumers who use such a device -- and this is a consumer product after all -- will connect via the unbalanced outs.

jam

Amir,

Thanks for the review. You must have a large shoe box full of pink heads by now. LOL

Did you try out the AccuEQ room correction feature just for fun and if you did, what did you think of it?
Not that I think you'd want to waste time measuring it considering the poor performance of the unit. I was just curious for a subjective impression from someone with your vast experience and trustworthiness.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there. I have not. Setting up to run an EQ test is fair bit of work. Is AccuEQ common today in their products? I thought they were on Audyssey bandwagon.

I believe it's the other way around. They dropped Audyssey for AccuEQ, to widespread criticism that it doesn't work properly. A test to show whether or not that's really true might be helpful for some!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there. I have not. Setting up to run an EQ test is fair bit of work. Is AccuEQ common today in their products? I thought they were on Audyssey bandwagon.
Onkyo dropped Audyssey in favor of their own AccuEQ some years back, and with their recent acquisition of Pioneer seems some of the MCACC features have moved over to AccuEQ.

jam

Indeed it takes time to do an automated EQ calibration even if it's automated.
Onkyo decided that the Audyssey bandwagon ride became too expensive through the years and they jumped out of it. They then developed their own home brewed AccuEQ room correction technology and introduced it sometime in 2014 or thereabouts. From most of what I've read on some online forums, the users don't seem too impressed.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unimpeachable, eh?

Thoroughly peached by this review.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
This is painful. I have owned over the years most of these brands with pathetic measurements. They deserve the discomfort Amir's tests reveal. Maybe corrective action will occur. Since most of them introduce "new" models annually like Detroit and big tech, maybe shouldn't take too long.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Chalk up another one for the headless panther!
When I see the "headless" panther, I know it's going to be a wild ride. Thanks amirm, for all you do.
Amir,
Thanks for the review. You must have a large shoe box full of pink heads by now. LOL
If this keeps up we'll have to report Amir for Panther Abuse. :eek:
Thanks Amir for yet another totally disappointing AVR report.
Do these designers take pleasure in releasing this mess to the public?
"They'll never know the difference, let's see how bad we can make it before someone gets wise." :mad:

A.West

Forum Donor
I used to buy Onkyo AVRs until they quit using Audyssey. Easy amateur calibration and subwoofer integration is the primary justification of AVRs, and I've never heard good things about Onkyo's system. Its a bigger difference in practical use than 15db differences of SINAD.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Integra equivalent of this Onkyo unit is, I believe, the DRC-R1. I own and use the DRC-R1.1 and the back-panels look mostly similar. I didn't realize I had a headless panther in the house :facepalm:

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I used to buy Onkyo AVRs until they quit using Audyssey. Easy amateur calibration and subwoofer integration is the primary justification of AVRs, and I've never heard good things about Onkyo's system. Its a bigger difference in practical use than 15db differences of SINAD.
I gave up on Audyssey. Anthem just works.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
"unimpeachable audio quality?" I THINK NOT!

IMPEACH! IMPEACH!

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Are you talking about Anthem ARC? Would love to see a review of the anthem avm 60 with ARC.
Yes. I purchased MRX 520 for room correction. Amir's review was not pretty, and I purchased after his review. I have used most of the room corrections that do not require a separate computer. I was always disappointed. I was stunned after ARC was applied.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Not to me. :) When you spend more than $2K for a processor with XLR output, that is what you want to use.

I fully agree. :)

I just thought it may be good idea to check if that was what Sound&Vision conviniently measured as it may be the case Onkyo slapped those XLR on just so they can put it in specs.

For example, check the specs, even for XLR it is stated 2V as output level:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
I am feeding it digital samples through HDMI so there is no voltage involved. It is for that reason that I called their tests useless. 100 millivolts? Over some analog input? How is that relevant for an AV processor?

Line input sensitivity is specced to 200mV.

Regarding relevancy, I would expect HDMI to be used for video sources but I can't imagine line input to be used when it comes to listening music as I would expect most users to use SPDIF.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
I just wish 1 HDMI eARC input and 5.2 XLRs output, nothing else. Is there something like that?
All HDMI go into the TV anyway.
A little bit more than what you're asking, but you might check this out. No eARC (just ARC) but it's a reasonable sacrifice IMO for a cost of only $800 if you can find them still available. I presume there will be a newer model at some point, but that's about as basic in both cost and features as you're going to find with HDMI and XLR output.

EDIT: I guess that is the new model. Shows what I know... at least on one site it said released this June/July? :facepalm: Specs are definitely NOT awe inspiring.

audioBliss

Onkyo have always had a bad reputation, I'm surprised that it wasn't worse to be honest.

Reactions: wje
Top Bottom