• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo getting acquired

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
A near impossible task to do any type of DBT comparing in any case. I will say that @Kal Rubinson at Stereophile didn't hear any major issues with it's sound and he has put together some really high tech alternatives to compare against.
Let me add that there are issues other than sound quality per se why I choose to use the Marantz.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I believe the HT audio world peaked with 5.1 and Dolby Digital. The advancements after that have been underwhelming, particularly if you consider the extra hassle/cost of 7.1 and up systems.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I believe the HT audio world peaked with 5.1 and Dolby Digital. The advancements after that have been underwhelming, particularly if you consider the extra hassle/cost of 7.1 and up systems.
Never set up a 7.1 system, but yes, probably a very minor upgrade from 5.1.
But for movies, I found a true .4 speaker Atmos/DTS-X well worth the cost/hassle when used with the best engineered soundtracks. (that is when correctly done with 4 overheard speakers and not the bouncy house speaker modules aimed at the ceiling). Just like most everything else, it all depends on the quality of the source material

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
100% of my video consumption is YoutubeTV for nba games and Netflix/HBO for everything else

Most Netflix shows and films have 5.1 audio and even Atmos in the case of some of their bigger budget shows like Altered Carbon. They also have probably the largest library of HDR content available anywhere. So it is odd to not care about audio because you watch Netflix. Their audio support is excellent. They even care about bitrates, which is more than you can say for most streaming services.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the HT audio world peaked with 5.1 and Dolby Digital....

From a sales/market penetration standpoint...this is verifiably true. I do not agree with comments here that say AVR surround receivers never had serious market penetration. From the mid 80s to about 2000 surround absolutely drove the audio business. Perhaps this is more true in the US than elsewhere. What changed from 2 channel is that with surround sound, component audio became an accessory to video...driven by big screen TV sales. Today something like 40% of U.S. homes say they have surround sound in at least 1 TV room.

As a video accessory, flat panel TV more than anything else started the decrease in demand. It is harder to justify all those big black boxes in traditional component surround systems, when your TV sits flat on a wall. As an AV sales trainer, I remember the difficulty I had convincing my sales teams to be more open minded to presenting Bose type sub-sat surround systems, in-wall speakers, and even premium sound bars. Sure the black boxes sound better, but by 2000 mainstream customer priorities had shifted, and most thought their 10 year old Dolby Digital setup sounded fine...if they were going to spend more money it would be to make the boxes disappear, rather than add more boxes to expand to 7.1. Of course with streaming audio/video replacing most other formats...the need for all of those AVR inputs/outputs lessens as well.

Traditional component AVRs will probably never disappear, any more than 2 channel component audio has. But like 2 channel it will become more and more a niche / hobbyist market. Sound United's purchase reflects the market change, it is not the cause of it.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Today something like 40% of U.S. homes say they have surround sound in at least 1 TV room.
Self-reported, of course.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RE: 40%
I googled it. Of course, you have to pay them money to get specific sourcing. But regardless of the exact figure, my own experience with large mainstream U.S. AV retailers like BestBuy, Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics, GoodGuys, Sound Advice, Tweeter, backs up that component AV was a mainstream product for quite a while in the U.S.

Most of the above retailers are gone now, and that directly impacts the viability of component brands. Some brands, like Pioneer, were sold by many dealers in each market. Others, like Harman Kardon, Onkyo, and Denon had much more limited distribution. When AV gear was mostly sold through assisted selling dealers with commissioned sales teams, exclusive brands were seen by dealers as a way to increase profit & close rate, and by the smaller brands as a way to get their stories effectively told. (the Integra line created by Onkyo to be more exclusive). Now that nearly everything is available through Best Buy and/or Amazon, it is a lot harder to justify all of these brands from a marketing perspective.

jhwalker

Really? From a UK perspective that sounds unbelievable.

Doesn't sound unlikely to me - everyone I know (except my and my partner's 80+ year old fathers) has surround, and we're the only "enthusiasts" in the bunch.

It was just close to standard a few years back.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Today something like 40% of U.S. homes say they have surround sound in at least 1 TV room.
I would imagine that soundbar owners are including themselves in that ownership report..

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't sound unlikely to me - everyone I know (except my and my partner's 80+ year old fathers) has surround, and we're the only "enthusiasts" in the bunch.

It was just close to standard a few years back.
That's so different to over here, I'm not sure I've ever been in a UK house with surround sound.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a shame that the Yarra sound bar tanked as that seemed to offer a lot of promise to provide a more immersive experience without needing rear speakers etc.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is that Integra are simply rebranded Onkyo, identical inside. There was an identical Integra unit to the Onkyo I had. Just to appeal to the installer market. AFAIK part of the same company. I would expect it to continue.

Could never fathom how they managed to get that amp to run so hot.

I'd imagine the installer models are a little more robust and use slightly better components to increase product life. I think I read that when I was shopping for avrs. God what a waste of time that was.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I'd imagine the installer models are a little more robust and use slightly better components to increase product life. I think I read that when I was shopping for avrs. God what a waste of time that was.
AFAIK they really are identical. I compared my Onkyo to the equivalent Integra.

The unbelievable temperature mine ran at was a real cause of concern for long term reliability in my eyes. One of these reasons I moved it on.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With the growing popularity of sound bars, headphones and Sonos type systems, one wonders if the home theater era is coming to a close.
No more so than the serious stereo system is coming to and end.
HT never had the power the stereo market had in the 70-80s, and always suffered much, much worse from the wife acceptance issues.
This is true: I offered my nephew a pair of decent active studio monitors for his home and he refused; he wanted a Sonos system.
But no sound bar will ever replace any decent discreet 5.1 system any more than a soundbar or Sonos will replace a good stereo. If your expectations and quality concerns are filled by a much lower standard, you might be happy with just about anything.
I heard a Naim Muso on Highend 2019 and in this (rather small and reflective) room its sound was really good; loud, clear, room filling, good bass.
But the suggestion that a soundbar could replace my 5.2.4 rig is laughable in the same sense that one could replace a JBL M2 or D&D 8C stereo.
Never really understood the wife acceptance thing anyhow. I let her do anything she wanted with the house, but the livingroom was mine to populate with any media gear I desired, period.
He he - lived together for 10 years until we decided to get married. She knew by then what she got - that is when moving into a new flat first the audio system was build up and then the rest of the furniture.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I heard a Naim Muso on Highend 2019 and in this (rather small and reflective) room its sound was really good; loud, clear, room filling, good bass.
Never said a soundbar couldn't sound good. With quality drivers, amplification, and well designed digital manipulation some amazing wizardry is possible. But consider the big picture of multich playback, both music and movie based. The engineer at the board was placing objects in a soundfield not only L & R, but front to rear creating a 360 soundfield of a specific nature that was the engineers intend. Without speakers placed in the full 5.1 channel positions no amount of digital wizardry is going to reproduce the 360 image with a small spread of speakers front and center. I won't even bother to discuss the immersive effects possible with overhead speakers and Atmos or DTS-X coding.
Simulating the 360 imaging of a good 5.1 or better rig with a single small box up front can't be done. It's like trying to make a single mono speaker create a full stereo image just by adding some digital tricks.. Soundbars are a major compromise of the intended multich reproduction designed for the lifestyles, not a quality surround sound replacement.

Tell Dr Floyd Toole he can dump his system for a $299 soundbar. LOL
fPjuUsIvaHhRuOBpseSBtDvDUNWfoT5PpNEN9qiCeSEe_ckvAOBk8GBvHePlxzTVp5u98B0Xq2UNc_lBnB7b_fgi278A0zzorjtYCiDZYQ7Je7oR4GYvgADa-oIVLiSDUTTVdVUWEbtjFVioFq8oEWb9y3tXxIepTTH-940SmlT09Jvqk_ZTqHENMUQe8KT_tJRN4cTprZZ6uUQmeUfqpRpI1xDl5OXLtFt2Brl6qGTnFuEDdxl2fygrHZVtLOImepydA-sL52h-YzzY21_5PEGHNTdmC4WTR6psItiRJPVjPZRqDumaQrjqgPB33Ol7tLaQA3Fnenc3OrRcFtV6xDQvs4D-webgfBCJzRm0GNvbelJHzJ4plw5y6iTRJJN9-35eteVVc6l0tIlRB_0H-Yw-MVOo7ne0_w23UE3jk9XY85N0NZSWRloo2LYXbRcI34hCsfPJqqDyEzXchpSQ_tOfhTEclHv4BpwSQgFt5KvZ7O7JYJqu1MewP4wS8oA0ALwdQbbh9PieHfjruci44R6jHBy-uXZ82UbEWskgUMeS5ty64N9F3-xmJP4XofQICgLL2MjmIZmPeKp8CMQiJxsldTABhxUTvO0pTDxBRZDsGjaYR9BN=w2192-h1644-no

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
He he - lived together for 10 years until we decided to get married. She knew by then what she got - that is when moving into a new flat first the audio system was build up and then the rest of the furniture.
Now that's talking like a standup man. ;)

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
........Tell Dr Floyd Toole he can dump his system for a $299 soundbar. LOL
fPjuUsIvaHhRuOBpseSBtDvDUNWfoT5PpNEN9qiCeSEe_ckvAOBk8GBvHePlxzTVp5u98B0Xq2UNc_lBnB7b_fgi278A0zzorjtYCiDZYQ7Je7oR4GYvgADa-oIVLiSDUTTVdVUWEbtjFVioFq8oEWb9y3tXxIepTTH-940SmlT09Jvqk_ZTqHENMUQe8KT_tJRN4cTprZZ6uUQmeUfqpRpI1xDl5OXLtFt2Brl6qGTnFuEDdxl2fygrHZVtLOImepydA-sL52h-YzzY21_5PEGHNTdmC4WTR6psItiRJPVjPZRqDumaQrjqgPB33Ol7tLaQA3Fnenc3OrRcFtV6xDQvs4D-webgfBCJzRm0GNvbelJHzJ4plw5y6iTRJJN9-35eteVVc6l0tIlRB_0H-Yw-MVOo7ne0_w23UE3jk9XY85N0NZSWRloo2LYXbRcI34hCsfPJqqDyEzXchpSQ_tOfhTEclHv4BpwSQgFt5KvZ7O7JYJqu1MewP4wS8oA0ALwdQbbh9PieHfjruci44R6jHBy-uXZ82UbEWskgUMeS5ty64N9F3-xmJP4XofQICgLL2MjmIZmPeKp8CMQiJxsldTABhxUTvO0pTDxBRZDsGjaYR9BN=w2192-h1644-no
Truly impressive! Sal, can you circle the Onkyo components in his setup...I'm somehow missing them ;)

Your point is a very good one. There is a huge difference in performance between components and sound bars.

But, I'm not just being snide. Sound United collects legacy brands that have lost most of there former bona fides. Sandy Gross is long gone from Deftech. Mathew Polk retired years ago, Boston seems like a shell today. Marantz's goldenear just left.

Onkyo, Pioneer, Denon have dramatically shifted their product lines to align with today's less knowledgeable, less critical mass market receiver consumers who research by comparing labels at Bestbuy instead of reading test reports in Stereo Review and Audio Magazine. This link on why 1980 receivers can sometimes outperform modern ones. Yes, they still sound better than most soundbars.

A recent PIoneer stereo receiver tear sheet proudly advertises 100 WPC at 10% distortion. That's 10%.
Compare that to this mid 1970s Kenwood stereo receiver ad.
Kenwood 33.jpg

The quality of many legacy brands has changed to match the demands of with their less discriminating customers. So I will shed fewer tears when they consolidate.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Truly impressive! Sal, can you circle the Onkyo components in his setup...I'm somehow missing them ;)

Your point is a very good one. There is a huge difference in performance between components and sound bars.

But, I'm not just being snide. Sound United collects legacy brands that have lost most of there former bona fides. Sandy Gross is long gone from Deftech. Mathew Polk retired years ago, Boston seems like a shell today. Marantz's goldenear just left.

Onkyo, Pioneer, Denon have dramatically shifted their product lines to align with today's less knowledgeable, less critical mass market receiver consumers who research by comparing labels at Bestbuy instead of reading test reports in Stereo Review and Audio Magazine. This link on why 1980 receivers can sometimes outperform modern ones. Yes, they still sound better than most soundbars.

A recent PIoneer stereo receiver tear sheet proudly advertises 100 WPC at 10% distortion. That's 10%.
Compare that to this mid 1970s Kenwood stereo receiver ad.
View attachment 26480

The quality of many legacy brands has changed to match the demands of with their less discriminating customers. So I will shed fewer tears shed if they consolidate.

The only thing in this post I would take issue with is that I think that comparing labels at Best Buy is probably a more rational way to select a receiver than reading magazine reviews.

PaulZH

It's a shame that the Yarra sound bar tanked as that seemed to offer a lot of promise to provide a more immersive experience without needing rear speakers etc.
The Yarra is being shipped now.

Top Bottom