• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo ... end of an era.

SKBubba

Screenshot_20220514-100535_Chrome.jpg

Lol.

sonci99

Those good old days with stereo systems and cd players, when people talked about the new album of that band. I miss the `90s.
I might be wrong but Onkyo were not that famous for speakers..

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I never cared for Onkyo , never considered it. , no loss. Samsui however I have fond memories of..

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
way, way back in 1977, when I was a poor undergraduate student, scraping together pennies to buy a stereo integrated amplifier, my (long) shopping experience focused in on two roughly comparable models: Onkyo's A-5 and Yamaha's CA-610II. The latter cost, if memory serves, $20 USD more than the former ($270 vs. $250, again, if memory serves).

I went with the Yamaha for, probably two reasons: it had meters :rolleyes: and the local Yamaha dealer, Soundscape, was leaps and bounds more pleasant deal with than the snooty store that carried Onkyo (at the low end of their wares). The latter dealer is long gone; Soundscape, AFAIK, is still extant.

Still have the CA-610II, although it's been packed up and not in use since we moved to NH.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
My one and only Onkyo component - FWIW.

It's actually a surprisingly good tuner (both FM and AM sections)*.

I did have a TX-1500 (or TX-1500ii) for a while, but IIRC it had some issues so I passed it along to someone else. It was a very attractive receiver, though.

* Even deeper into the weeds :) for anyone who cares: The photo documents good quality reception of WBZ-AM 1030 kHz in Boston (admittedly a 50 kW clear channel behemoth that's been on the air for over a century) from our NH house, about 120 miles distant, in the daytime. The Select-a-Tenna helped ;) but there are very few "hifi" component tuners in the house that can do that.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
way, way back in 1977, when I was a poor undergraduate student, scraping together pennies to buy a stereo integrated amplifier, my (long) shopping experience focused in on two roughly comparable models: Onkyo's A-5 and Yamaha's CA-610II. The latter cost, if memory serves, $20 USD more than the former ($270 vs. $250, again, if memory serves).

I went with the Yamaha for, probably two reasons: it had meters :rolleyes: and the local Yamaha dealer, Soundscape, was leaps and bounds more pleasant deal with than the snooty store that carried Onkyo (at the low end of their wares). The latter dealer is long gone; Soundscape, AFAIK, is still extant.

Still have the CA-610II, although it's been packed up and not in use since we moved to NH.
I had an A-7 Driving my AR speakers.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Old news:

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom