• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo AccuEQ Room EQ Review

KKoen

While the scale is different on Amir's post calibration measurements it is still interesting to see how each eq system performed its room correction. It would be interesting to have all of the Room eq measurements on the same graph. It would be interesting if @amirm has post dirac measurements to see how Dirac handled eq in his room as well.View attachment 61316View attachment 61317

You can't draw good conclusions unless it's done with a fixed microphone

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

And you expert audio people are not supposed to. :)
I dunno, just about everyone on most Forums take their REW measurements with the mic pointing at the ceiling. Don't get it, John Mulcahy and Herb Singleton have never recommend that for anything except acoustics measurements.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a great idea to test room correction systems in all AVR's tested without regard to the SINAD performance of the unit. There's valuable information to be mined.

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Complaining that the mic doesn't cost enough to make it good enough is just snobbishness. It needs to be fit for purpose, and the most important part of that is reproducibility. One of the wonderful things about modern mass production is that consistency can be silly good on parts that cost cents to make. A measurement mic needs to be close to omnidirectional and extend across the frequency band needed with adequate sensitivity. It doesn't need low noise, it doesn't need a perfectly flat frequency response so long as production delivers consistency, and it doesn't need to cope with extremes of sound levels. Really, that is only a device that costs a dollar.

People may remember the venerable Panasonic WM61A electret capsule, it formed the core of the Mighty Mic. And it presented a very flat, very usable measurement mic. I still have one somewhere. I have seen people build up diy recording systems based up that capsule, and wax ecstaic on how good the sound is. Guess what? In quantity it is less than $2. It may well be the basis of the mics shipped with many AVRs. At any price it is a perfectly good device for the intended purpose. Indeed probably too good.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI, I tested the Onkyo mic both pointing up and pointing toward the speaker to see if the high frequency roll off would change. It did not. Results were identical in both orientations.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I dunno, just about everyone on most Forums take their REW measurements with the mic pointing at the ceiling. Don't get it, John Mulcahy and Herb Singleton have never recommend that for anything except acoustics measurements.

I was talking about REW measurements, not AVR autocal. The mic in the picture doesn't appear to be an autocal mic.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

In that case you are aiming properly. Lol, it's nice to be on the same plane.

* True, in the picture the mic is a speaker measurement mic, not an auto room acoustic calibrated mic (Onkyo receiver's mic).

...Auto Calibrated Room EQ.

luft262

When I run AccuEQ it gives me the option to apply it to all speakers or all speakers ex. L/R. It recommends all speakers ex. L/R unless all of your speakers are the same, but wouldn't I still want the L/R speakers running the eq?

Thanks for any advice!

__MPK__

When I run AccuEQ it gives me the option to apply it to all speakers or all speakers ex. L/R. It recommends all speakers ex. L/R unless all of your speakers are the same, but wouldn't I still want the L/R speakers running the eq?

Thanks for any advice!
If you listen to stereo sound in ex. L/R mode, and then turn accuEQ off, does it affect the sound ?

Top Bottom