• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo a9010 or Emotiva BasX A100?

Jglr

I'm looking for a budget amplifier to drive my Elac B6.2 speakers. The two amps that seem the most promising are the Onkyo a9010 and Emotiva BasX A100. I'm primarily concerned with sound quality. Niceties like additional hookups and a remote control are secondary. I haven't been able to run down any measurements or direct comparisons between the two amps, so I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts about either model or how to they compare.

garbulky

Major Contributor
(Note my impressions are subjective with no DBT testing done).

I haven't heard the a9010 so I don't know how it compares. I have heard the A-100. I use it primarily as a headphone amp where it sounds fantasticwith my HD600's and HD700's, just throwing them around really. Only drawback for headphone listening is that depending on the headphones when you drive them with the resistor bypassed (non stock mode), there may be some slightly audible hiss (not for speakers).

I have previously used it to power Axiom m80 towers which it did without breaking a sweat and pushed them to lifelike volumes with nice imaging and a stable top to bottom sound without sounding weak in any area. I've performed side by side comparisons with it vs Crown XLS amplifiers, large old school crown amplifiers (250 watts per channel class AB), and the Emotiva XPA-2 gen 1. It sounded better to me than the Crown XLS which appeared to have a upper bass suckout with my towers, was more pleasant than the old crown and had a similar tonality to the XPA-2 gen 1 - though the XPA-2 is a better amp imo.
Have also used it to power large book shelf speakers. For comparison I use the Emotiva XPA-1 gen 2 monoblocks to power the Axiom M80s normally.
Based on my subjective experience, I recommend it.

OP
J

Jglr

Thanks for sharing. Score one for the Emotiva.

OP
J

Jglr

I put the wrong model number for the Onkyo in my original post. The model currently available is the a9110.

tranq

I got the A-100 today as a present from my wife. It's fantastic with my Elac B6 2.0s

Also awesome with my HD6XXs. My Magni 3 might be relegated to occasional home use in the main rig.

sofrep811

You really can’t go wrong with the A-100. Even if you purchase it there is no huge hit on resale value. The Onkyo will lose more value in the long run. If Emotiva decided to stop producing the A-100 I believe they’ll be worth even more.

Top Bottom