• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo 9010-B toslink or analogue input with Topping E30 dilemma.

hamidasim

Howdy audio lovers. Recently I have bought Onkyo A-9010 (B) integrated amp. for my desktop listening setup. That is bulky for desktop though but I use it vertically under the desk. This version of this amp. has built-in DAC and I can use digital inputs as optical or coaxial. My source is Asus xonar dx sound card. But dx card doesen't have coaxial or pin type spdif so that I can use optical output only. I'm pretty happy sound quality of this setup with tiny but mighty Spektor 1s. I read some infos about toslink data transfer rate. It transfers 24/96 maybe 24/192. I check all of bitrates at digital outputs settings at win 10 and no problem with playing Spotify and aimp-wasabi. Some of ASR users use a DAC with analog integrated amps. If toslink limitations cause bottleneck then I can use a DAC as well with analog inputs of 9010 (by bypassing built-in DAC) . I was planning to buy Topping E30 and using it with USB connection (I assume that best option) beforehand. Is it worth it and Is there a noticeable improvement in the sound? Or leave it as it is.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The DAC used by Onkyo is old (legendary for it's time) Wolfson WM8718 which support only PCM up to 192000 Hz and 24 bit. Should be enough with about 100 dB SINAD if integrated good for a power amplifier. E30 DAC will perform better (around 10 dB and won't be interface limited (USB) and will support bunch of newer stuff (DSD512) but I doubt you will hear a difference on power amplifier - speakers.

Top Bottom