• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

One question I am very curious about audiophiles.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe for different experience? IF you don't try out difference ones, how would you know which one you prefer? Different brands and models will sound slightly different.

Sounds kind of insane to me to worry about preference of one piece of hardware, especially headphones, rather than listening to one thing over and over again ....

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sounds kind of insane to me to worry about preference of one piece of hardware, especially headphones, rather than listening to one thing over and over again ....

Well, if the person is a hobbyist or audiophile, I think the person will likely be pretty interested in how other headphones or even amps/DACs sound like. Its like why some pple have multiple speakers/amps etc at home and keep buying/selling stuff. Its a hobby afterall.

If you have just 1 set of amp/headphone and never at least try out others, I would say you more of listening to music and not so much of hobbyist.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, if the person is a hobbyist or audiophile, I think the person will likely be pretty interested in how other headphones or even amps/DACs sound like. Its like why some pple have multiple speakers/amps etc at home and keep buying/selling stuff. Its a hobby afterall.

If you have just 1 set of amp/headphone and never at least try out others, I would say you more of listening to music and not so much of hobbyist.

I'm not that kind of audiophile to worry about DACs at all, and less so about headphones as I just don't want to use them. Some people are far more into the consumerism side of audio, true enough. Personally I have five different systems in five different rooms...just none are headphone based.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Btw

Yes i prefer speakers over headphones. I dont like having something covering over my ears. It feels warm and uncomfortable after some time.

For speakers, i would say more speakers, less albums. i just love listening to the same music over and over and over again. Enjoy the sound, focus on the sound. Its as if you are there seeing them playing the instruments. Its simply awesome, never gets old.

This is also why i enjoy listening to the same piece over many different equipment. Sometimes you discover sometime new, something you never heard of of, something sounds different. Its really enjoyable.
We all prefer loudspeakers. Headphones have uses even inside. Unless you live alone, headphones are condusive to marital "bliss" for night owls.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We all prefer loudspeakers. Headphones have uses even inside. Unless you live alone, headphones are condusive to marital "bliss" for night owls.

Then again there are probably those who prefer to torture the spouse instead ? I'm single and have no concerns either way....just don't like wearing headphones (and have done quite a bit of it over the years before I just quit doing it).

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
Only one album with countless headphones(with their full potential)
OR
1f914.png

Only one headphone with countless albums.
Which one would you pick?

no disrespect, but this seems like a very odd/silly/pointless question

OP
L

LEIYINAUDIO

What is the question about audiophiles that you seeking to answer?
if you had to choose between one sound style with different music and one set of music with different sound style, which one would you prefer?
if you had to choose one?

OP
L

LEIYINAUDIO

I would prefer a 10$ shortwave radio over a single album. So whats the question?
if you had to choose between one sound style with different music and one set of music with different sound style, which one would you prefer?
That's what I mean.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does listening to one thing repetitively mean compared to a wide variety have to do with "sound style"? Do you listen to the same thing over and over while "listening" to your gear?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
That's what I mean.

Its the music. From abba to zappa. The gear is just the transport. Can be better or worse. And sure i like the better transport. But a transport makes only sense if it can transport something. And always the same is like eating every day burger. Different gear would only change the burger to lets say with onions or without. Boring when you can have all the food in the world.

Last edited:

escksu

What does listening to one thing repetitively mean compared to a wide variety have to do with "sound style"? Do you listen to the same thing over and over while "listening" to your gear?

Many hobbyists/audiophiles (whatever you call them) usually have a few pieces which they listen to very often. But it doesn't mean they listen only to that. Casual and serious listening are quite different.

You need to listen to the same music repetitively in order to know characteristics of the sound on your gear. When you listen to it on other systems, then you will know how it is different compared to your own gear and if you think its better or worse. When you audition new speakers/amps etc... how would you know if you like it or if it sounds good to you?

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Many hobbyists/audiophiles (whatever you call them) usually have a few pieces which they listen to very often. But it doesn't mean they listen only to that. Casual and serious listening are quite different.

You need to listen to the same music repetitively in order to know characteristics of the sound on your gear. When you listen to it on other systems, then you will know how it is different compared to your own gear and if you think its better or worse. When you audition new speakers/amps etc... how would you know if you like it or if it sounds good to you?

Well I don't see much value in "auditioning" amps myself. I don't live anywhere near a place that has much to audition in the way of speakers either, so I use the internet and good return policies after I do my research or do a DIY project. These days I'm pretty much not shopping unless something fails, tho.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Would I rather only ever drink one wine out of multiple glasses or many different wines from only one glass?

That is roughly how bonkers the OP is.

Of course I would rinse the glass before changing wines though. And leave all wines to get up to exactly 19.5 degrees. Tested with a calibrated thermometer accurate to 0.1 degrees. And blindfold myself . And have a friend pour them . Whilst he was blindfolded. Whilst my wife is in the kitchen sexting her lover on whatsapp.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I made the choice. I tried several but ended up with one headphone - same as I have one pair of speakers.

Martin
One pair of headphones?

Robin L

Master Contributor
We use audio gear to listen to music. The myth is that audiophiles use music to test their gear. But we all listen to music because we want to listen to music, and we all want to hear different kinds of music unless we have some major cognitive disorder. And we can listen to all the different transducers if we want to, but usually settle on one transducer for most of our listening. No one listens to one piece of music. Very few people listen to music on only one set of transducers.

Top Bottom