• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

One more headphone desktop setup thread

I have been lurking for the last few weeks (So glad I found a science based audio community) with the view to setting up a satisfying desktop setup. My original thoughts were to go for something as neutral as possible so I could use my initial setup as a benchmark of sorts as I grow into the hobby. Might just get something that sounds great though. Lowish budget but might be able to spread the costs over time.

I currently have a set of Sennheiser Momentum 1's and an Audiolab M-Dac Nano

My initial thoughts are as follows.

Sennhieser HD599 (2nd hand) around $250NZD
Akg k7xx (2nd had) $300NZD
Sennheiser HD6xx $336NZD plus shipping plus tax. Prob $420NZD
Grado RS1i (2nd had) possibly $500NZD

JDS Atom Amp $250NZD
Schiit Heresy $280NZD
JDS El Amp (Love that big knob) $500NZD
JDS Element ii (Love that big knob) $700NZD

Thoughts much appreciated.

OP
K
Unfortunately the xduoo isnt available in nz. The gst and shipping tends to increase the price fairly significantly. Kinda like the hd6xx's. When looking it up I did notice the topping dx3 ldac is available in nz. $349nzd

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Go for the HD 6XX and either the Atom or the Heresy. I personally have the 6XXs with a Heresy and it is pretty good.

bigjacko

One thing good about drop is that even you buy things that exceed the 400 NZD gst value, you still don't get charged by gst. You can get 6XX with 220 USD plus shipping, that's it, no tax or gst. For very cheap and small form factor sdac+o2 from drop is pretty good, only 150 USD. If you want some better THD+N that you can't even hear it, topping d10s for 100 USD(?) and topping L30 for 130(?) are good measuring dac and amp. There is also one option that is koss x massdrop ESP/95X, it got energizer come with it so you only need to buy a dac, it is 450 USD and you don't pay gst for that.

OP
K
Hey.

So I pushed the button on a heresy. Now for the headphones. Think I'm going to go for something more affordable and upgrade as needed

Akg k7xx
Takstar hf580

Both second hand...will also look into the HD 6xx cost wise.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to see past 6xx + Atom/ Heresy as a starter point.

I love my Grado's but they are no way never neutral. Every headphone collection should have a pair, but not your gateway

bigjacko

Hey.

So I pushed the button on a heresy. Now for the headphones. Think I'm going to go for something more affordable and upgrade as needed

Akg k7xx
Takstar hf580

Both second hand...will also look into the HD 6xx cost wise.
If you want I can sel my HD6XX, I hardly use it now and it is still quite new.

OP
K
Update:

I took up Bigjacko's offer on the hd6xx's and I'm loving them! Mint.
Also got some takstar hf580's
Ordered topping l30/e30

Now I just have to sort out my source machine.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Update:

I took up Bigjacko's offer on the hd6xx's and I'm loving them! Mint.
Also got some takstar hf580's
Ordered topping l30/e30

Now I just have to sort out my source machine.
What are you thinking of for source machine?

OP
K
Currently thinking of using a galaxy tab S4 streaming spotilfy. Using Wavelet to EQ. Might try other streaming services once I get the amp and dac and see how it sounds. My old ears probably wont notice a difference.

My Macbook is a bit past its best and I couldn't seem to find a decent parametric equalizer that would run smoothly on it.

The final option is a pretty good windows Laptop but I like the smaller form factor of the tablet

The amp and dac are due today!

Sukie

Forum Donor
I think the l30/e30 option is a good choice. I've found ASR invaluable in helping me realise that a good budget option will still give excellent results.

I use my Samsung phone as my source but use USB Audio Player pro to stream Qobuz. It also works with Tidal.

Hope everything works out when you take delivery of amp and dac.A great feeling to open up, set up and enjoy.

spelterORantimony

Forum Donor
I just did the same as many above. My starter build was the Topping D50s DAC, and Atom amp. I had a set of Grados and Bose QC's but I also picked up the HD6XX for more neutral sound.

OP
K
Totally agree re ASR. Amazing resource!

USB Audio Player pro looks great. I don't think Qobuz is available in nz. Might be time to look at Tidal.

Do you use your phone through its jack or usbc? I've been wondering about that connection to the Dac

Sukie

Forum Donor
Sorry for the confusion. You need an OTG cable that has Male C and female A connections. You then plug the cable that comes with your dac into the female A connection of the OTG cable and, at the other end, into the USB B connection on the dac itself. Hope that makes sense.

There may be other ways of doing it but that's the way that works for me.

Top Bottom